Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

AotD 12/14 - "Aerocache"

Wow! Who would have ever thought of naming and Aerocache "Aerocache"? Very imaginative. :P

The description should put you on this one.

Enjoy.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Hi Folks

Titled - Aerocache

Description - Along the Egegik river, half way between Egegik Bay and Becharof Lake

Well the title's about acceptable.

The description however.......

should read - Along the Nanek river, half way between Nanek Bay and Nanek Lake.

HTH

ATB

Paul

It wasn't hard to find, but I had a lot of fun with this one. Since I was going to follow the river to the cache, I did a number of touch and goes on the river itself. And being the fearless pilot that I am, I decided I would waterski through the cache to collect it. Much to my surprise, as I went under, the cache did not register. So, I had to lift off, go around, and attack it from the air. When I did this I got the registration.

After collecting the cache I continued on down the river, made a waterski landing at the next village, and then continued on down and landed at both South Naknek Nr2 and Diamond Nn Cannery. There was a clandestine listed at Naknek Nr2 but I didn't take it. That's the first one I've seen in this area.

All in all, a good time was had in the Cub.

Paul - I merged your post concerning this subject with this thread so we could keep the discussion in one thread. You must have been posting about the same time as I based on the times of each post.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Cheers Richard

We'd posted concurrently.

ATB

Paul

Well, that was exciting.

I started my hunt at Old Harbor Airport on Kodiak Island, flew across the channel to Becharof Lake, then up the Egegik River to Egegik Bay... then back down the river to the lake... then back up the river to the bay... again... and again.... and again... I usually fly the cache hunts with the day set to the current day, and today the current time, because it was daytime, but it was hard to follow the frozen river, so I finally relented and switched to summer. Ah, much easier. A couple of more times up and down the river made me suspect something was amiss.

When I looked at the AOTD screen again, I noticed the suggested starting point was King Salmon, which is not the nearesat airport to the Egegik area. I looked on a real map and saw the similarity to the two locations - a lake and bay connected by a river - so I switched back to real date and time, flew up to Naknek Bay, followed the river, and finally, finally, after many hours, grabbed the cache.

But I did pick up 11 more airports, so that's good.

Finally got my # 200 aerocache with aerocache. Still a few missing.

Steve