Sign in to follow this  
AirbusGuy1207

New User to Windows 7 + FSX - Any Advice?

My FSX laptop recently broke down and I had my friend fix it. He said he'll install Windows 7 for me. I was both excited and worried. I'm an amateur user to Windows 7 (Since my high school computers' system is Windows 7), but since I haven't used FSX in Windows 7, I'm worried as to the errors that may occur. I've read some forums and saw that FSX runs into problems when running under Windows 7.

Can you guys give me any advice when running FSX under Windows 7? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks.

The only "issue" to speak of with Win7 and FSX is when adding scenery to the Scenery Library, AFAIK. That's been well documented and the easy work-around has been posted, once you click on OK to add, click on a white spot within the dialog box to complete the process.

There may be other things that Win7 brings, but nothing that pops into my head since my conversion at the beginning of the year.

Before you install FSX and any other add-on for FSX, turn off UAC and right click All .exe installation files and choose install as administrator. All should be fine.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Transferring from Windows XP on an Apple iMac to Windows 7 on a Dell XPS 8500, I experienced no abnormal issues that I didn't experience in Windows XP. If the installations of both FSX and the operating system are performed properly, I do not think that you will experience any new issues.

FSX runs great with Windows 7. I would recommend the Windows 7 64 bit version as it handles memory better. Members who own the 32 bit version sometimes suffer from Out-of-Memory (OOM) errors but they can employ a /3GB switch to let FSX see up to 3GB of memory. The 64 bit version allows you to see up to 4GB of memory so it would be best to have 6 or more GB's of memory installed too. FSX will use the remaining memory to keep your system running.

When installing FSX, make sure you start up FSX and run it before installing anything else. Then install SP1. After installation, run FSX. Everything running okay? Then install SP2. The Microsoft Acceleration program contains both SP1 and SP2 so you would only have to start up FSX, run it, then install Acceleration.

Be careful installing tweaks to the FSX.cfg. Some may do more harm than good so make sure you are aware of what it does before employing.

Ask questions if you have problems or want more information. FSX is an old program so a lot of problem-solving posts have already been published. There are also guides on the best way to set up FSX and tune it. I like this one - http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html authored by NickN. One of our members has published an excellent guide too - http://#####.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/.

If you run into problems and have a crash, check out our Crash to Desktop subforum here. Have fun and Go Fly!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

UAC is not a problem for FSX IF you instal it in it's own folder, or better yet, on a seperate hard drive/SSD.

HIGHMEMFIX is a "must have".

Dave

Install FSX into a folder( Crreate this folder) Under your C:\ To avoid permissions, not under Programs/Files by default.

Before you install FSX and any other add-on for FSX, turn off UAC and right click All .exe installation files and choose install as administrator. All should be fine.

Also, do not let FSX install into the "x86" folder, where Windows will put it if you let it install normally. Make a new directory for the sim. If you have two drives, install it on the 2nd drive.

Disregard! - finished reading the thread, and everyone else beat me to it..

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Just ran FSX Acceleration, a flight around KCMH, no errors so far. I'll do a KJFK~KLAX flight later to see if any errors shows up. Runs very smoothly.