Sign in to follow this  
shmu40

Default 737 800

Hi

I'm really enjoying flying the default 737 at the moment but I was wondering how close it flies compared to PMDG. I am well aware of the quality of the PMDG model but was just curiuos as how well the default 737 flies in regards to take off power, climb and cruise etc, are there any tweaks out there that can be done to make it better.

Thanks Shaun

Not comparable, but I enjoy the default nonetheless. I don't have time to learn the NGX these days.

If you want a much improved version of the defualt 737 check out this amazing freeware: http://www.fs-freeware.net/freeware-addon-news/item/490-fsx-boeing-737-mega-package-volume-1-4

I use Megapack 2 and 3 which has the series 600, 700, 800 and then some.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

The default 737 is where I started too. But as soon as possible, get sone decent payware. The default jets are very, very simple and in 2012/2013 the aftermarket tubeliners are just so good.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

The PMDG is by far the best 737 package on the market but just like others my time is short at nights and I just like the simplicity of the default to get me up on a short flight. Thanks for all your input.

Shaun

Hi Shaun.

As far as i'm concerned, there's no comparison at all.

As former UAL Captain Mike Ray, who has written many detailed volumes on flying the Boeing and Airbus aircraft In FSX ... I quote from his book Flying the Boeing 700 Series Flight Simulators..."If you are flying the default airplanes that come included in Microsoft Flight Simulator, you are simply wasting your time".

"I even consider exposure to their cockpits and flight modeling to be negative training".

"What I am trying to say, is if you are a serious Boeing 700 Series flight simmer, DO NOT EVEN OPEN the default airplanes".

Captain Ray goes on to say and I quote " Trying to learn to fly using the cockpit and flight instruments, makes the whole experience totally confusing".

"After literally thousands of hours flying "real" Boeing airplanes, when I look at the default 747 or the 737 cockpits displayed in the MSFS suite of airplanes, I am confused and baffled by what I see".

"These are NOT the cockpits of "real" Boeing airplanes".

"Trying to apply the real-world techniques and actual airline procedures to the eclectic collection of "flight instruments" is virtually impossible".

Captain Ray finishes by saying..."MSFS/ X IS THE KING...BUT DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLY THE DEFAULT AIRPLANES IN MSFS/X and expect to have anything more than a game style experience".

Shaun I hope this helps in some way in your enjoyment of Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Regards

Paul Dubois.

You can have the PMDG all setup and ready to fly when you load it.

Still a waste if you don't have time to learn the systems and read the manual in my opinion. It's like buying a Ferarri and only driving it at walking pace.

True for previous pmdg aircraft, like the 747 - which took a fair time commitment to get in the sky.

With the ngx, you can set flaps and be off the ground in 60 seconds.

The functions all work - whereas the default plane ap is dodgy, and everything works different from the real world.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

The PMDG is up there with FSL Concorde and other PMDG models as being one of the most sophisticated and complex aircraft available for FSX- so its not really comparable to the default, but I enjoyed the default before I got the NGX, but when you fly the NGX its hard to go back to the default.

just curiuos as how well the default 737 flies in regards to take off power, climb and cruise etc, are there any tweaks out there that can be done to make it better.

Geez, reading some answers one must think that default planes fly upside down all the time. ^_^

But since you are looking for accurate details and power settings, the default 737 may indeed be a step back. Great tips on adding new variants and features though. But the closer you want to be to 'real' values, the closer you may get to buying an addon rendition of a 737.

Well, this always has to take into account at least two things. The fidelity FSX offers, sometimes rendering accurate details on the one end to downsides on the other one, and the ability of us sim drivers to really gauge so called real values. So if there was an EGT being 100°C off, could you tell? Could they?

By this, I wouldn't overstress that sim reality but, as some folks have pointed out, take into account how much fun comes out of using a plane. And of course there's fun and not too wrong sim flying with default planes. :smile: First point, they are free!

Hi

Thanks very much for all the valuable input which I found interesting. The PMDG is by no doubt a lot closer to reality than the default 737 will ever be and a lot more fun learning to fly, I'm sure when I find the cash I will buy the PMDG version, until then I will have to make do with all the fabulous free 737's which I'm sure, not being a pilot must represent some form of reality.

Thanks Shaun

Trust me Shaun, simulation is mostly a mind game. Use some of the good enough freeware to learn some basic concepts and you'll have something to build on once you progress to a more advanced and true to life model. The lessons in the FSX Learning Center is a good place to start. Unless you have an understanding of the concepts introduced there I see little reason to spend months learning to use the PMDG 737. It's not as fun as buzzing treetops, but understanding the ABC of flying is a must. Once you earn the PPL, IFR and ATP Certificates in FSX you might decide if upgrading to the PMDG is right for you.