Sign in to follow this  
PrettyPilot

FSX DOESN'T START, PLEASE HELP!

Hi guys,

This evening I tried to start up FSX Acceleration: I got the 'beginning screen', the music starts but then it automatically shuts down. It doesn't give an error or something: It just shuts down.

Yesterday I just played FSX without having any problems, is there a way to fix this problem without installing it again? Coz' then I'm afraid I'll lose GSX and PMDG (downloaded).

Thank you very much.

Welcome to Avsim. :smile: Don't worry, GSX and all planes can be installed again as long as you have the installers. With GSX, it's free to download and with PMDG, your backup may help.

Does your Windows event log state something about the cause? Find a description on how to read it here. http://forum.avsim.n...p/#entry2514193 I'm asking because I wouldn't know where to start. We need a clue. :(

So FSX ran fine yesterday and now just quits? What happened in between? Did you install something new or used a tool of some kind?

A Side note. Please avoid the all caps title next time. :Batting Eyelashes:

Funny enough I just had a problem very similar to this. My FSX wouldn't even get to the point of playing the music. Honestly I never figured out what caused it although I have a very tenuous suspicion it was something with a Windows7 update. I fixed it by using the Windows7 restore point feature. I apologize for not being able to help much more than that but hopefully it will assist somewhat.

Edward Smoker Sr.

Check your Logbook file. If it gets corrupted (which seems to happen occasionally) it will do just what you described. There is a file (or used to be) in the library that will reconstruct your log and solve the starting problem.

This may not be the problem, but it sure sounds like it.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

CoolP: thank you for the video. I followed the instructions, but it's not specific for FSX or something, so it won't help, i'm afraid.

Saturday I just played FSX, no problems, and sunday evening I tried to play it too. I think one hour before, I added a new fixed camera view (but that won't be the reason, I think). I started FSX, it loaded, the music starts for a second but then it shutted down. It doesn't give an error or something, it's just gone.

I deleted that fixed camera, btw, but that didn't help.

I still got the GSX setup, yeah, so I believe you that that won't be a problem. I got the PMDG mail with the download link and stuff as well, but it says that will expire in 7 days, and I got it longer.

EdwardSm: I've watched if there were any downloads and there were some. I updated it but it didn't help, unfortunately. Still thanks

a lot.

188AHC: Thank you. I've found the logbook file, but I don't know what file will solve the problem.

I think I'll wait until tomorrow. If I haven't got the solution, then, I'll reinstall it. If there are problems with GSX and PMDG, then I'll contact them.

Before you go through a complete installation, search the Avsim Library for the "Logbook Edit" file, or simply "Logbook" in the FSX section. I have used this program to get my goat out of the ditch a couple of times.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=logbook+&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

EdwardSm: I've watched if there were any downloads and there were some. I updated it but it didn't help, unfortunately. Still thanks

a lot.

Actually I was suggesting to use the Windows7 restore point; however, Rick's suggestion is superior by far. I forgot about that problem with the logbook. I use that tool to make regular backups of my logbook and there is another tool you can use to edit entries. Try Rick's suggestion.

Edward Smoker Sr.

Thank you very much for the replies.

I downloaded the most recently logbook editor. Maybe a weird question, but, what now? It's already in the right map, I saw, but there's just an empty file..

What do you have to do with the logbook editor file after downloading it? Or should it already work?

Thanks.

I think if you just move the logbook file away and then start FSX, you should be able to test if it was the culprit. FSX generates a new one if I'm correct. Now, to save your old values, you need the editor and the old file to sort out any kind of corrupted data.

Would getting FSX to generate a new CFG maybe help, clutching at straws here....? If so Avsim member Rockcliffe wrote this in August:

"Simply rename your current cfg file to something like old cfg or original cfg, it doesn't matter what, it simply means that it will remain in your folder and not get deleted. Now simply start FSX and it will begin exactly as it did when you started FSX for the very first time. In other words, everything will be as default, so you will have to set all the FSX slider settings up again. Not to mention any cfg tweaks you may have made. You will effectively have a competely vanilla cfg file. Hope that helps...."

An awful situation for a flight simmer to face, can take hours and hours to get a complex sim back to square one. I use Acronis true image, and make a disk back up every week, or before software installs. Windows update has messed things up for me several times, it's such a relief to be able to revert to a good working copy, system restore is very hit and miss in my opinion... About the same cost as a high-end aircraft, worth it's weight in gold! For those of you reading this who don't have a cast iron recovery plan, really think about it, it could save you a lost weekend!

Eugene

Thank you very much for the replies.

I downloaded the most recently logbook editor. Maybe a weird question, but, what now? It's already in the right map, I saw, but there's just an empty file..

What do you have to do with the logbook editor file after downloading it? Or should it already work?

Thanks.

I believe there is a readme file in the zip you downloaded. Read it and follow the directions.

Short version - It's very simple to use but if you don't read the doc, you can do some more damage. Unzip the file, read the doc, run the file, and save the logbook (depending on which program you d/led and used).

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

CoolP: I've tried what you said, thanks so much, but it still didn't work :(

Overload: Thanks a lot for the tip, that will others help too :)

188AHC: Yeah, that's the point. The readme just says you have to doubleclick the file and it should execute itself.

Doubleclicking opens an empty Logbook Manager. The next thing to do isn't in the readme. So it's done then? Or..?

I think I'm going to reinstall it tomorrow or in the weekend. But incoming ideas are still welcome :D

Before you do anything, check your windows event viewer. It will tell you what crashed.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

This afternoon I reinstalled FSX. And it was done in, i think, an hour. PMDG and World of AI was still applied and I downloaded GSX and FSrecorder again. Everything works fine!!!

Still great THANKS to everyone who tried to help me!!!

Good news! Still curious what may have triggered the error. Either way, have some nice flying days. Or just Christmas. ^_^