Sign in to follow this  
Kattz

What now, Microsoft?

I looked through the other forums and couldn't find the right place to put this, so I put it here. Mods, feel free to relocate to somewhere more appropriate if necessary.

I pulled up FSBuild and set up a flight plan from KSEA to KSFO this evening, tied REX Essentials to it, computed my loadout with TOPCAT, loaded nDAC 3 for my airport charts, fired up the 737NGX with FS2Crew, loaded my .rte, set up my SID and STAR, and altenate/hold, and off I went.

As I reached TOC at FL340 and the sky was setting among the clouds, I thought to myself, "Wow; this is a pretty good product." But without PMDG, or REX, or all of the scenery devs, or addon devs, FSX would just be a 8 year-old platform with crappy graphics and limited AI. If it wasn't for all of the addon studios, FSX would've faded away in my opinion.

From what I can see, most of the users are using high-end multi-core systems that would kick serious butt for first-person shooter or RPG sims. And yet, we're using about a third of our total processing power to run our sims.

So now what? MS seems to have forgotten about us as a community, and it's a large community that isn't afraid to drop $ on a product and hardware. X-plane? No thanks, have messed around with it on another system and it's not for me.

I'd really like to know what's in store in the future for us as far as the next-gen FSX software. Just rambling on... sorry.

Kev

Sorry to break this to you - but Microsoft is out of the FlightSim business.

So, the simple answer is: Look elsewhere...maybe P3D, maybe X-plane, who knows..

Just enjoy FSX with all the add-ons - that is what I do B)

Bert

But without PMDG, or REX, or all of the scenery devs, or addon devs, FSX would just be a 8 year-old platform with crappy graphics and limited AI. If it wasn't for all of the addon studios, FSX would've faded away in my opinion.

See MS Flight...

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Who knows what tomorrow will bring. When I was a kid Atari was the biggest name in video gaming, never thought they would fade away, but they did. Markets change and companies come and go.

Matthew Kane

You seem like a technical simmer, but if you are looking for a taste of whats possible with modern systems and graphics in a flight sim (and an example of how far behind civilian sims have fallen in many areas) you could always take a quick look at War Thunder.

Free download is here: http://warthunder.com/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

You seem like a technical simmer, but if you are looking for a taste of whats possible with modern systems and graphics in a flight sim (and an example of how far behind civilian sims have fallen in many areas) you could always take a quick look at War Thunder.

Free download is here: http://warthunder.com/

Well if we're going to drop links to amazing flight sims, Rise of Flight must be mentioned. Literally my favorite flight sim of all time, and the most cutting edge (ironic given it's time period portrayed).

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Aerofly has shown you can build a decent modern sim graphics engine. Just need to add the open platform model of fsx.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Aerofly has shown you can build a decent modern sim graphics engine. Just need to add the open platform model of fsx.

That one looks good.

Matthew Kane

Simulation, has certainly come a long way in the past 10 year, especially the past 5.

Unfortunately, FSX was still locked into a design that really evolved from the early DOS days.

Here is an interesting observation.

This Sunday afternoon, I was at a Christmas party. Mixed adults and children.

In one of the rooms, there was an Ice Hockey game on the big screen TV.

Fair enough, I personally am not into Ice Hockey, but some at the partygoers obviously were. I was causally aware of the game taking place, actually looked quite exciting at times. It was some time before I noticed two kids, sitting on the sofa, near the TV, with controllers in their hands. AMAZINGLY, it was a COMPUTER GAME !! Only then, with careful examination of what was really happening on the screen, was it clear to be computer graphics.

Before you comment -- I was driving, so was NOT drinking !!!

AMAZINGLY, it was a COMPUTER GAME !!

Of course it was a computer game, Hockey is on strike. The only live hockey you will see on the big screen will be a video game....LOL :lol:

Cheers mate B)

Matthew Kane

AMAZINGLY, it was a COMPUTER GAME !! Only then, with careful examination of what was really happening on the screen, was it clear to be computer graphics.

My wife has fallen more than once for some sports game on the PS3.... and they are older ones.

Next Flight Sim will be card board boxes, plungers and lawn chairs just like when I was a kid. Imagination the most powerful PC!! Now where's my duct tape...

Simulation, has certainly come a long way in the past 10 year, especially the past 5.

Unfortunately, FSX was still locked into a design that really evolved from the early DOS days.

Here is an interesting observation.

This Sunday afternoon, I was at a Christmas party. Mixed adults and children.

In one of the rooms, there was an Ice Hockey game on the big screen TV.

Fair enough, I personally am not into Ice Hockey, but some at the partygoers obviously were. I was causally aware of the game taking place, actually looked quite exciting at times. It was some time before I noticed two kids, sitting on the sofa, near the TV, with controllers in their hands. AMAZINGLY, it was a COMPUTER GAME !! Only then, with careful examination of what was really happening on the screen, was it clear to be computer graphics.

Before you comment -- I was driving, so was NOT drinking !!!

I started a thread on this once in the Microsoft Flight forum, with several examples of how far in-game graphics had come, and a glimpse at some things on the near horizon. The main point was how far this genre was falling behind the times, which is ironic, considering that flightsims were once the technology showcases of the PC world.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Aerofly FS is taking over. Hold on to your hats laies and gents: http://www.ipacs.de/forum/showthread.php/6110-aerofly-FS-Development-Status

Well, I have wondered when they would finally speak up. Looks nice!

Now if we can just keep from our usual habit of demanding a better-than-commercial-level simulator (due by the day after tomorrow) things might get very interesting.

(Wonder if that "coordinate change" has anything to do with a round earth?)

Devons rig