Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

dll.xml messed up

Guest Mik75

Hi!

After the installation of all my Orbx addons, my scenery looked weired. I took a look at my dll.xml and it looks like this:

Hoe can that happen, and how can I get that solved?

Thanks in advance!

What did you open the xml file with? It doesn't look like notepad, wordpad or IE. Anything else will not show the contents correctly. Open with notepad and post that here.

If I see it correctly, the last thing you installed was the FeelThere Embraer jets, right? If so , that's where the problem might be located, because their installers tend to mess up the dll.xml causing other addons not to work, or even to crash! What you should do, is copy all those lines referring to the Embraers, look for the back up created by the FeelThere installer, open it with notepad (or any other text editor) and paste the lines. Make sure that all the entries start with something like "</launch.addon>name<launch.addon>", and also end with that line (I'm not totally sure about what exactly it says, though), and also make sure, that every single line is seperated from the others by starting a new line.

If I recall correctly I was able to fix a dll.xml file corrupted in a similar way. But always remember: Back things up before you make any changes!

What did you open the xml file with? It doesn't look like notepad, wordpad or IE. Anything else will not show the contents correctly. Open with notepad and post that here.

That is IE9, but it won't display it correctly, if the lines don't exist in the way they are expected to be there, or if there are any "comment" signs in there, at least that was the case for me, because I tried to comment out some lines.

I hope I helped you

Flo

Guest Mik75

Hi!

Thanks for the fast answers!

Yes, I opened it with IE, and the other "healthy" dll.xml-files (the older ones) are displayed correctly with it.

The problem is, that it looks like a text file, obviously some entries are wrong, and so some important files are not loaded when I start FSX. Therefore, I have no People- or Natureflow in Orbx and 3D grass is missing too. Is that correct?

The last thing I installed was my Orbx-scenery. And while testing, I noticed that the PNW airfields don't look as they should.

I should also mention, that this is a new computer with a fresh install of Win7 64 bit and FSX. For the last past days I was installing all my software, but this is the first problem to occur.

The last existing dll.xml that looks correct, is the one before I installed Airbus X. But between the Airbus and Orbx, I installed a lot of A/C and scenery.

If I got it right, I have to take the last healthy and working dll.xml, compare it to the newest but corrupted one, copy the new entries from there into the older file, using Notepad, and then I should be good to go?

Guest Mik75

It works!!!

comp20121217205553593.jpg

I opened the dll.xml once again, but this time with the notepad. And at the very end of the text there was the single letter "m". I deleted that "m", and the attempt to open the so modified dll.xml with Internet Explorer worked!

In fact, that little single letter led to the fact that IE9 didn´t recognize the file as a XML-file and corrupted it.

When I fired up FSX afterwards, I was asked to trust all the dll´s (which did not happen before) and now I am really happy!!!

I got a new machine a week ago, and since then, I spend more or less every free second with installing trying /tweaking. It would have been really bad if a reinstall would have been the only solution.

WOW!

One last question:

Since I never touched that dll.xml, how can it happen that the file "modifies itself"?

Greets,

Michael

Since I never touched that dll.xml, how can it happen that the file "modifies itself"?

Could be a bug of an installer.

Glad you sorted it out, happy flying!

Guest Mik75

Thanks a lot for your effort and fast help!

The Airbus X Extended is downloading right now... :lol: