Sign in to follow this  
WhiteKnuckle

Traffic!

A couple of screen shots of a near miss at 36,000 over the UK. Interestingly I didn't get a traffic warning annunciation. The crossing aircraft was about 1000 above. Great repaint by Ricardo De Luca.

8BaHA.jpg

biE1n.jpg

1000 feet is good separation, it should have at least shown on the TCAS though. Great pics!

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

If neither of you two was climbing or descending, TCAS should not have triggered. If it had, you would've found a bug ;-)

I never get a warning either!, Last night I was landing in San Juan runway 8, on the left to his approach to the other runway was an aircraft crossing in front of me. I saw some of the faces in the windows :)

Never got a warning...

Chemanuel

1000 feet is good separation, it should have at least shown on the TCAS though. Great pics!

1000 feet vertical AND 5 miles latitude, not 1000 feet and 1000 feet !!

No way hosay

That is NOT good seperation: would get you FIRED at ATC

Is that why they fired all the programmers at MS Flight?

then again what do i know

I never get a warning either!, Last night I was landing in San Juan runway 8, on the left to his approach to the other runway was an aircraft crossing in front of me. I saw some of the faces in the windows :)

Never got a warning...

Chemanuel

You shouldn't get a warning when on approach. If I'm not mistaken, (off the top of my head here) on approach TCAS switches to TA ONLY. You will see the traffic on the display but won't get any audible indications. Same goes for takeoff. These are both high workload periods of flight and having the TCAS shouting at you wouldn't be helpful. ATC is responsible for maintaing separation in these situations if IFR. It's also the pilot's job to maintain eyes on other aircraft in VFR.

Basically FSX ATC/traffic management sucks; you will have traffic in very unrealistic situations, i.e. 200 feet in front/behind on approach.

Nope. 1000 ft vertically OR 5 mi laterally (except in close to some terminal areas where the lateral separation is reduced). So you can have aircraft on the same airway (no lateral separation) pass as long as the 1000 ft vertical separation is maintained.

Bill Rowe

Hi, Surprised there are no contrails coming from your aircraft at 36.000ft. Richard Welsh.

Hi, Surprised there are no contrails coming from your aircraft at 36.000ft. Richard Welsh.

There are, look closely :)

Hello Lukas, I know I wear specs, but I fail to see the contrails on the BA One world aircraft although the aircraft above contrails are quite clear. Richard Welsh.

No way hosay.. Hehe

Err, no not quite. Change your AND to an OR.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Remember that TCAS isn't there to let you know anyone who's close to you.

TCAS is there to let you know anyone who might hit you.

No way hosay

That is NOT good seperation: would get you FIRED at ATC

This is correct, but not correct in the same. Minimum separation is variable, depending on the radar being used, the distance therefrom, wake turbulence categories, and so on.

Your generic numbers are correct (specifically for en route environments), but your application is incorrect. As Bill mentioned, it's 5nm laterally, or 1000' vertically. If it were both, I'd need to go clean house at ZDC (Wash Center) and ZOB (Cleveland Center), which handle a ton of traffic into the NY Metroplex, using up all the airspace they've got along those corridors.

Nope. 1000 ft vertically OR 5 mi laterally (except in close to some terminal areas where the lateral separation is reduced). So you can have aircraft on the same airway (no lateral separation) pass as long as the 1000 ft vertical separation is maintained.

Exactly.

Kyle Rodgers

Remember that TCAS isn't there to let you know anyone who's close to you.

TCAS is there to let you know anyone who might hit you.

TCAS alerts you to traffic which might hit you, but it also tells you about the traffic around you.

I mostly fly offline. FSX ATC often puts you in conflict with AI traffic, mostly around airports but occasionally en route. Anyone who has never seen a TA let alone an RA should give it a try!

ki9cAAb.jpg

TCAS alerts you to traffic which might hit you, but it also tells you about the traffic around you.

Yeah, but I was using "to let you know" inferring audibly, as unclear as that was. If you look at the original post, he was referring to the annunciation, not just the target being shown. From my understanding, the target should only be announced or colored in the situations where it will pass through your trajectory (potentially hit you).

I mostly fly offline. FSX ATC often puts you in conflict with AI traffic, mostly around airports but occasionally en route. Anyone who has never seen a TA let alone an RA should give it a try!

I almost miss those days.

Almost.

Kyle Rodgers