Sign in to follow this  
wedgantilles

Behind the Scenes of an Engine Inspection

Hello,

While waiting as everyone here is a little video that Air France just published which shows how is done the Engine Inspection, and for that they decided to do it with a GE90 Engine from one of their 777. From un-mounting the engine to remounting it, boroscope inspection, testing chamber, cleaning ...

Hope you'll like it :) Nice to see a bit of what is going on behind the scenes which we never see as passengers ;) Unfortunately no HD available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2j6uhUA2daY

Cheers.

Thanks, Aurelien, very interesting.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

I agree- great find! I was struck by the amount of support infrastructure an airline must have to maintain these amazing aeroplanes. We all see the maintenance areas, however, most of us only get to view the facade.

Thank-you for an informative and appropriate post- a refreshing change! Perhaps those who find great comfort in their post counters spinning will appreciate this actually contributory posting..... and attempt a modicum of self-control....

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hi Carl!

Don't know how we reduce the amount of guff on this forum. Thanks for trying.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

I'm glad you enjoy it :) I've not really found it, Air France published it on their Facebook account as well as on twitter and all so I was bound to see it :) And seeing it was the biggest engines of the 777 I thought it would interest people here :)

I was in the same way as Carl amazed at how much work there is for a "simple" engine check, I just can guess how much work it represents to manage the fleet. I don't know how often these kind of checks are done, but with a fleet of a bit less than 400 aircrafts with for the most part twin engines, that would be roughly around 800 engines to inspect, that sounds like just a huge task just to plan everything to do this as needed.

There really is so much going on behind the scenes people are not so aware of :)

It is a beautiful machine.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Interesting video! And yes, that's only the engine. Imagine C and D checks! There's so much maintainance stuff going on, on a single airliner it is beyond amazing imo. There's a video on youtube about a D check on a BA 747-400. Quite interesting as well!