Sign in to follow this  
meshman

Backup, what again?

I looked for prior threads, honest I did.

What all needs to be backed up for Flight, on a Win7 system. I'm going to be tinkering with my system in the next week or so and want to save important stuff, just in case...

Here's hoping I can finally get my 2 1/2 year old system running stronger and maybe with a little OC thrown in for good measure!

Good question. I have Train Simulator 2013 and it was advised on fan site (trainsim.com) to back up *everything*. Actually then it can be played without a steam connection at all! Learned how from OTTODAD a very knowledgeable guy on that forum. Then whenever you make a brief stop at Steam for updates or new add-ons, you back it all up again. The idea in Trainsim is you have a stable game for making your own routes and using all the aftermarket add-ons.

Not sure how this is done for Flight (or even if it can be). Hope somebody who knows can tell you here (so we all can read it). Although backing up Flight would be for different purposes, such as yours.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I've a similar problem, I've just moved to Windows 7 and want to copy all of my Flight stuff across from the old XP disk rather than re-download.

If I'd stuck to Steam it would have been easy...but Windows Live?

I've found the main binaries and the DLC content, and have the registry content, but there are some config bits scattered about.

Will share any useful results.

Cheers

Keith

I would back up the following:

Everything under the Flight folder in the appdata/local/microsoft/flight

Also, there should be 3 files under the appdata/roaming/microsoft/flight folder. I would back these up as well.

Then, upon a new install, I would copy those back over to their proper locations. Be sure and restore them exactly to the same folders they were in.

You can also back up and restore your purchased dlc content, the following tutorial is in reference to moving the dlc, but the same can be applied to backing it up and then moving it back into a new install - would save having to redownload again. At least I think that would work, not completely sure on that one. Worth a shot though I guess.

http://forum.avsim.n...d-it-all-again/

I hope this helps,

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping I won't need any backups, but once I get to tinkering with the system anything can occur.

I had removed / reinstalled the DLC, made backups a few months back. Didn't move the backups once I did, so while I'm at Level 20, have 200+ AotD, etc, I can't fly the Hamburger Runs because I haven't "completed" the trip out to the boat in Hilo Harbor.

So many files, in so many different places! Glad Windows is so user-friendly under the hood...