Sign in to follow this  
rambow

Missing Gauge Issue

Some DC-3 users have reported missing gauges after installing the DC-3 package. I’ve been stumped by this, suspecting it had to be something in the OS, but not sure what. I just did a Google search and came up with this on the PMDG website. It sounds like this is the problem. Credit to them.

Fixing the FSX DLL Trust Policy

Overview:

When you load an FSX add-on aircraft for the first time, FSX should ask you if you trust the dlls (gauge files) when the airplane is first loaded. This should only happen the first time, or after a patch is applied to the add-on aircraft.

Occasionally, FSX will forget to ask you to authorize the dlls, and this can create an undesirable circumstances where the dlls (gauge files) are not loaded with the rest of the airplane. The end result is an unusable simulation.

Correcting the Problem:

The first step to correcting this problem is to open the FSX.CFG file and delete all references to your product that can be found under the [TRUSTED] section of the FSX.CFG.

Next, you must eliminate a troublesome registry setting that Windows uses for third party DLL trust policy selection.

Check if the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WinTrust\Trust Providers\Software Publishing registry key is set to 0x63c00. This value is Microsoft's WinTrust policy selection flags, as described here. The 0x40000 flag means "Allow only items in personal trust database" and apparently, this clashes with FSX's ability to allow manual authorization of unrecognized DLLs, telling it instead to never trust anything outside the user's personal trust.

Unsetting this flag (putting it back to its default 0x23c00 value) returns all operations to normal and Flight Simulator X will once again be able to ask the user to designate the PMDG DLL modules as 'Trusted' software.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please report if this solves the problem.

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Bill, I think this will solve the problem when all the guages are missing but not the issue of the altimeter. After installing the R4D I got all the "trust" messages but the altimeter was still missing from every VC except the R4D, ie those aliased to the cargo and passenger versions. The MAAM R4D is perfect.

When comparing the panel cfg's of both versions it is apparent that they are slightly different, in the VC section the R4D has a number 1 or 2 after the altimeter entry whereas the others do not. Simply adding these numbers results in the altimeter appearing in the VC's.

I would suspect that either changing this in the initial download or issuing extra instructions to this effect would solve the problem. Try downloading yourself to see if you get this problem.

Steve

I just bought this package, and I have this problem of no guages. However, the "fix" might as well be written in Chinese, as I have no idea on how to go about checking these settings. Had I known about this problem before hand, I would have saved my money. I don't know why there's a line thru these words.

Next, you must eliminate a troublesome registry setting that Windows uses for third party DLL trust policy selection.

Check if the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WinTrust\Trust Providers\Software Publishing registry key is set to 0x63c00. This value is Microsoft's WinTrust policy selection flags, as described here. The 0x40000 flag means "Allow only items in personal trust database" and apparently, this clashes with FSX's ability to allow manual authorization of unrecognized DLLs, telling it instead to never trust anything outside the user's personal trust.

Unsetting this flag (putting it back to its default 0x23c00 value) returns all operations to normal and Flight Simulator X will once again be able to ask the user to designate the PMDG DLL modules as 'Trusted' software.

Bill -- Please explain for us older, dim bulbs how we might complete the "Next,...." portion of the fix. I'm very fond of this airplane and want it working fully in FSX, but haven't a clue how to do the HKEY_CURRENT stuff. Thanks.

Lincoln

Hi Lincoln, I hate to tell you, but when it comes to this sort of thing I'm one of those "older dim bulbs", myself. I usually get my son-in-law, Tan, who owns and operates an IT company, to do this sort of arcane stuff for me. That whole post was a quote from a PMDG Support page. Here'e the link. http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a5/fixing-the-fsx-dll-trust-policy.aspx I would suggest checking it out and perhaps asking them to explain the instructions. I would be afraid to try..

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Missing Gauges in DC-3 – Video Card Related?

Good morning, I bought the new installation package dc3. There is an issue. I 've installed a new computer with Nvida videocard Geforce 8800 GTS with win7 64, new setup of fltsim x sp1 and sp2 and there are no gauges in the panel of the dc3. So I tried it on another computer with ati videocard also win7 64 and all works fine. So I did a totally new installation again of fltsim x on the nvidia machine, without add-ons but with sp1 and sp2, no gauges in the panel. On both machines is also an version fs9 with the MAAM dc3. Tried it with exe automatic installation and manual installation. Nothing helps. Some tips? greeting E vd Saag Netherlands

I will try the registry settings as described above and let you know

Ok the registry settings were correct.

I deleted the lines in the fsx.cfg

Started up again. No gauges :-(

Erik vd Saag

Hi Erik,

Did you ever see the FSX DLL Trust Policy window appear after installing the DC-3, before or after you made the change to FSX.cfg?

Do any of you other sufferers have this same video card.

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Hi Erik. That, along with your experience with the other computer with the same OS but a different video card seems to strengthen the case that it is related to suspect this may be related to the G-Force 8800 GTS card. I would like to hear what cards other missing gauge sufferers are using before forming a conclusion on this. Please, let's have that information from anyone reading this post.

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Hi Bill,

We 're one week further and suddenly all the gauges are there :-)

I don't understand anything about it because i only see updates since then of microsoft security essentials.

No updates of the OS, no updates of the videocard.

Erik

Erik, just when I think this thing can't get any more inexpicable, something like this pops up! So now to the peculiar "Missing Gauge Mystery" we can add the equally weird "Case of the Magically Appearing Gauges". We need a latter day, computer-code savvy, Sherlock Holmes to deduce his way through this puzzle!

Seriously, the security essentials update you mention would seem to point back to the original theme of this thread - that it has something to do with the DLL Trust Policy which sounds like a security issue to me. But Sherlock Holmes I ain't, so it will be interesting to see if anyone else finds their missing Gooney Bird gauges suddenly installing themselves in a previously blank panel after this WIndows update.

Thanks for reporting this phenomenon and I hope you can now enjoy your Douglas in its fully functional glory.

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

recently had to reinstall FS9,  and since ,  neither MAAM planes, DC3 nor B25 will load gauges.  Today, reinvested by purchasing the DC3, again.  However the new install also without gauges.   This is in FS9, not FSX.  Anyone offer advice/fix?