Sign in to follow this  
wiltzei

VRS' TacPac released (payware)

If anyone has TacPack up and running yet, and would willing to to bring TackPack equipped SuperBugs onto the FSMP FSX Multiplayer server, it will be interesting to see what they can do there, and how the affect the FSX Multiplayer Server.

If you are willing to try, but have difficulty joining the FSX "Direct Connect" session, shoot me a PM here on Avsim, and hopefully that can be sorted.

Ideally, would like at least two equipped Superbugs, that can fire on each other.

From the VRS website:

• The TacPack will NOT currently work with FSX multi-player "Missions".

• VATSIM/IVAO sessions (joined using FSInn or SquawkBox) are NOT supported

• FSHost sessions (joined using FSHostClient) are NOT supported

So it looks like the only Multiplayer Environment that is supported is "Direct Connect" native FSX Multiplayer "Non Mission mode".

(Which is Exactly what the FS-MP FSX MP server runs )

I find this low response intruiging....

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

So did I until I realised it was ONLY for use with their FA/18. That's quite a narrow market. I saw a post stating the SDK for other aircraft will not be released until 2014.

That was a typo. Its actually Q1 2013. But still....

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

I was thinking the same -- Their FA18 has been out for some time, and I thought that everyone with that plane was eagerly waiting for the release of TacPack (Finally, after so much waiting, and anticipation).

I think a lot of the serious guys already had the beta

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

We're too busy....

Yeah, even SimHQ has yet to announce it as released. The VRS guys did a bang up job and deserve kudos for bringing us something that we have always dreamed of. Sadly I think the "we" numbers are dwindling. I hope they sold/sell the numbers they need to make their efforts worth while but it sounds like they have bigger fish biting, too, at a commercial level. Lets not forget, that segment of the market is probably what keeps military simming viable (E.G.: Games like ArmA II and DCS, A-10 are stripped commercial trainers).

Believe me, the first SAM site I smoked brought a grin to my face.... and then the reality of the SECOND site promptly removed it. This'll be fun. No more trapping for the sake of trapping, now we can do something with our bugs. I look forward to the addition of TacPack capability to many other addons. I have a B1 and Mudhen just waiting for the opportunity to strike.

SHQ headlined my thread about the Release Candidate, but I think they didn't spot that it's at full release.

That said, I do agree with the comment that the 'serious' users (ie those that pre-ordered TP) have been playing it, hence why there's been some silence.

One nice thing, is that is appears TP will enable you to add weps to any plane you want, via the TacPac manager. The 3rd party SDK is so that a Dev can create a "Multiplayer Certified and balanced" product (so you can't just spam a game by bringing in a C172 with 45 AMRAAM's strapped to the wings.

Another factor in the relativity quiet launch of TP, is that is happened right on top of Combat Pilots release. I would think many of those with interests in TP would have drifted toward wanting to play CP.

In terms of innovation within the Fsx Platform itself, it's a step forward in technology development, but Tacpack does have it's limitations compared to dedicated combat sims unfortunately. The Flir is listed as an experimental feature only, and VRS won't guarantee it will work on every user's computer setup. In other words, maybe it will work on your computer or maybe it won't. Ummm, no thanks.

Only simobjects can be destroyed or tracked on radar, while regular scenery library objects like bridges and buildings cannot. A lot of Fsx limitations too. Depends on what you expect I guess, but I'd personally rather have uncompromised experinces with DCS Warthog or Falcon/BMS 4.32. I prefer a less 'hobbled' combat simulation.

So I've got the non-TP F18. They told me they weren't going to fix the autopilot (or probably not likely) on the vanilla version. I'm a little miffed but I got the plane discounted from PCAviator...

How is the autopilot on the TP addon? Does the CPL TCN button work without the plane S turning across a course for 50 miles?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If I could interject...

I have had the pre-release version for the TacPack since June or July. The TacPack is a pretty awesome integrated system for FSX. Yes, it took quite a while for them to fully release it and it's probably a bit too late with the demise of Gamespy to truly witness this program at its finest. However, let me point out some differences I have noticed:

I have the privilege to run DCS World, I found that the aircraft provided do not have the functionality like the Superbug, or the F-15 Mudhen Driver. Also, from what I have seen, DCS World does not have real world weather, nor can the weather conditions change. As I speak, Iris Simulations are working on a few planes to add into DCS World.

Does that make it better... um... I don't think so. The team at VRS are supposed to release a SDK that would make any combat aircraft with in FSX combat ready.... not to mention that they are supposed to be working on the F/A 18 G model. Also what I find cool is that you can drop a SAM site anywhere and activate it.... even drop one as an enemy ship, aircraft or tanker. But be warned when you use SAM sites: if you place one near an active airport with AI traffic, the SAM site will shoot down every single plane that takes off or lands around the site.

So I've got the non-TP F18. They told me they weren't going to fix the autopilot (or probably not likely) on the vanilla version. I'm a little miffed but I got the plane discounted from PCAviator...

How is the autopilot on the TP addon? Does the CPL TCN button work without the plane S turning across a course for 50 miles?

There was an update to the Super Bug prior to the release of the TacPack. I could assume they fixed the autopilot problem in that update.

If anyone has TacPack up and running yet, and would willing to to bring TackPack equipped SuperBugs onto the FSMP FSX Multiplayer server, it will be interesting to see what they can do there, and how the affect the FSX Multiplayer Server.

If you are willing to try, but have difficulty joining the FSX "Direct Connect" session, shoot me a PM here on Avsim, and hopefully that can be sorted.

Ideally, would like at least two equipped Superbugs, that can fire on each other.

Here is the problem with the TacPack in multiplayer...if anyone hasn't mentioned yet:

The host server must have the TacPack running in order for those to utilize its features.

Rodney E. Jacobs

There was an update to the Super Bug prior to the release of the TacPack. I could assume they fixed the autopilot problem in that update.

I bought the bug only about a month ago. I believe I have the latest version and that the autopilot was not updated... Where would I find a new version if there was one?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |