Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

Jetstream over NYC

Various pics of the BAE 31 over NYC, Also a few bonus pics in Alaska. (Aircraft needs to be de-iced)

(These are from X-plane 10 with addons)

Rob

1-67.jpg

2-63.jpg

3-56.jpg

4-51.jpg

5-47.jpg

6-40.jpg

7-35.jpg

8-35.jpg

9-30.jpg

10-29.jpg

Nice!

I see your 1st Officer is on duty and has not been ordered to go to the toilet, whereas mine usually has chronic bowel problems. (the 1st time such an option has been available in a flight simulator I believe)

X-Plane 10 is looking better and better. I hope they keep improving the art assets and start creating real default landmarks. New York looks great with the converted Aerosoft buildings.

It would be a relatively small effort with a huge payoff if Laminar were to include a city like New York in the default scenery with some proper buildings. The inclusion of this city alone would attract a lot of people to X-Plane. I think the inclusion of major landmarks would be somewhat of a game changer for Laminar in terms of user base. Come on Laminar!! B)

Spectacular!!! I Love that icing shot

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

What are your rendering settings Rob? If I could get my sim to look like yours I would be happy.

I have texture res set to extreme, trees at "Tree Hugger", Number of objects "A lot", World detail distance to "Very High", Shadow detail to "global medium", HDR on and Anistopic filter to 8X. What made a big difference for me was adding another 8 gb of ram for a total of 16 which allowed me to crank it up a little more with the 64 bit version. Also in these pics, I'm using a program called G2XPL which downloads Bing satellite data and uses it along with the default autogen to fill in those ugly green areas with satellite scenery. It took 8 hours to download all of NY, part of NJ and Conn, but it really looks good combined with the default and addon scenery. In these pics other addons seen are a (payware) KLGA, (Payware) KJFK and (payware) Manhattan X converted. Also seen is a freeware version of KFRG (Republic airport) in the first pic. Rob

Got some great scenery and bird looks good!

HLJAMES

Rob, how complicated a procedure is it to get the downloaded Bing imagery into X-Plane? I've been wanting to do my own photo scenery for XPX for some time now, but I'm not too keen on spending several hours lining up tiles in WED.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Rob, how complicated a procedure is it to get the downloaded Bing imagery into X-Plane? I've been wanting to do my own photo scenery for XPX for some time now, but I'm not too keen on spending several hours lining up tiles in WED.

Its not complicated at all. Just put the plane at the airport for the area you wish to create satellite scenery for. Go to your plugins pull down menu and select "G2XPL launcher" and go to the settings field (keep in mind, i'm doing this from memory, I'm not in front of my XP PC right now). Set the LOD to what ever you want in the general settings, the higher the number, the slower it will take to download. I use 18. Highest is 20. I don't remember what I set the others ones to, I think I left it default. If you have an Nvida, card check "Nvida Cuda" it will help speed it up a bit.

Then go back to the pull down menu and select G2XPL internet service settings and select Bing. Then click Apply data or something like that, and it will open up a DOS windows and start running a really long batch file. After a min or 2, it will start actually downloading the tiles. Once its down, (several hours) the scenery should display after a few mins after it stops downloading. If not, you may have to reboot X-plane.

Thats it, you don't have to edit anything in Wed or the overlay editor. It will place everything perfectly. If an airport scenery you have, doesn't show up, edit the "Scenery_Packs.ini with a text editor at the bottom of the custom scenery directory and put the listing for that airport above the Bing scenery. I you want to make this area bigger, just move to plane to an airport out side the coverage area and repeat. It will handle any overlap. The scenery will show up under custom scenery folder as "z_G2XPL_Bing" you can rename this to whatever the scenery area is and move on to another area. I dont know if this is the best way to do it, but it worked well for me.

It took me 6-7 hours to download all of NYC to Martha's Vineyard, Conn and part of NJ. It used up about 31GB of space. I also did Los Angeles, Chicago and Miami. Not all areas are the same quality. Miami was so poor, I deleted it. LA looks great and NY looks great. Chicago is so so. The Rockies look great too. I haven't tried Europe yet. MY X-Plane 10 directory is up to 450GB now! I think Im going to stop for a while! LOL.

G2XPL is freeware but its hard to find online. If your having trouble finding it, PM me. There is a version that supports the 64 bit version of XPX.

Caution, it gets addicting! One other thing is Clean out the cache under plugins G2XPL_Cache when your done. I just relized I had over 100GB of crap in there after downloading scenery for a week.

Hope this helps,

Rob