Sign in to follow this  
Guest Raul_Hernandez

XP10 and ATI Cards

Guest Raul_Hernandez

Hi Guys,

I bought XP10 early after release and got absolutely horrifically bad performance, which I was told was due to me using a ATI video card. Although I was told this ATI bug with XP10 was Laminar's highest priority, I felt disillusioned and lost interest in XP10, selling on my boxed DVD.

Can anyone confirm whether the seriously poor performance of XP10 with ATI cards has now been addressed?

I have a HD 5770 1GB if that matters.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

As an nVidia user, I can't say for certain... BUT...

If you've got the time, you can always download the free demo and update it to current - that will let you see exactly how performance will be on the current version of X-Plane 10.

I think they've got some of the issues squared away, but I'm not positive.

-Greg

I cant compare what I would get if I had an nvidia card but with my higher end ATI 7970 I get better frames in XPX than I do in FSX. with a 4080x2160 resolution I mostly keep it at or above 30, in the air it can be up around 50 at it's highest.

I was going to post a somewhat related post, I'll just add here as it's somewhat related.

Currenlty running a Ati 6970 2gb and have never really been happy with the visuals. Performance has never really been an issue, but the quailty of the visuals is lacking to my eyes. I'm about to purchase a GTX 670 or 680 4gb and I'm really hoping the quality of what I see will be greatly improved.

At night the clouds look terrible, there's a kind of banding effect going on which I do recall seeing in Fsx. I'm assuming although they run different graphics engines that it comes down to the Ati card. Do any of you with Nvidia cards see this banding effect with clouds at night?

Also, the Anti-Aliasing on Ati cards leaves a bit to be desired. Still get pretty poor frame rates with the AA cranked up when near clouds. There's still a fair bit of shimmering on ground textures and on buildings which just looks terrible. Again, hoping an Nvidia card will prove better with respect to shimmering.

I'm not running a terribly high resoloution, 3840x1024 across three monitors, and like I said the performance is good, but what I see visually could be a lot better I feel. I wonder if monitor quality has a lot to do with it. The monitors are 19" 1280x1024, just plain monitors, nothing special.

Anyways, hope not to hijack the post, but thought my questions might add to it. Anyone with a high end Nvidia card care to express their experiences with the nightime clouds visuals, I would greatly appreciate it.

Ati 6970 2gb is for sale, will go at a good price, pm me if interested.

Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Muskoka, thats an interesting point. While my performance is pretty good I will chime in and say I am not happy with the visual quality either. The AA has never worked well enough to my liking for scenery and ground object. Also a shimmering from memory.

It's not something I am used to in DCS world with my ATI card so something in xplane and ATI is behaving less than optimally. I would be really happy to hear what you think when you get the 680.

I will definitely report back, hopefully it's positive. Not sure if it will be a 680, more likely a 670 4gb. I did have the problem with clouds at night in FSX as well, wonder if it's just because of cheaper monitors. Thinking about getting one of those 30" Korean S-IPS panels on ebay http://www.ebay.ca/i...984.m1438.l2649 .They have a new model now that has multiple connection options, runs at 2560x1600, and the cost is $670 CDN, quite good for a 30" panel. They do warn of some dead pixels and light bleeding, something I can overlook at that price, provided it's not too bad. Read some reviews and they have been for the most part very positive.

Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Hi Guys,

I bought XP10 early after release and got absolutely horrifically bad performance, which I was told was due to me using a ATI video card. Although I was told this ATI bug with XP10 was Laminar's highest priority, I felt disillusioned and lost interest in XP10, selling on my boxed DVD.

Can anyone confirm whether the seriously poor performance of XP10 with ATI cards has now been addressed?

I have a HD 5770 1GB if that matters.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Well.. It seems that clouds are the biggest issue for my ATI card. I am currently using an Asus 7970 (Matrix Platinum) and without clouds I could probably max everything easily. However when clouds do come in to play performace drops. It isn't unplayable but I notice a significant difference. I have clouds at 35%.

Regarding shimmering. This was an issue for me with my last card, the 5870, but doesn't seem to be an issue with the new card. Probably because I can easily turn up the AA without paying the price of unacceptable FPS-loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Guest Raul_Hernandez

Thanks for the feedback guys.

What I am hearing is not making me feel easy about re-entering into the XP10 arena, while using an ATI card. I get very good FPS performance in FSX, (using an i7 2600k, 8GB DDR3 RAM, the 5770 1GB and Win 7 64) so would be looking for comparatively better performance and visuals from XP10, and it sounds unlikely that this would be offered.

It's a real shame, I ran XP9 with an ATI card for many years of happy simming (alongside FSX/FS9), so it is sad that Laminar have effectively discluded such a large proportion or potential users, due to the poor performance and visuals that XP10 is giving with ATI cards.

Thanks any way guys, this is why it's great having a platform like this to check into for informed opinions, before wasting more hard earned money. Much appreciated!

Cheers.

Well.. It seems that clouds are the biggest issue for my ATI card. I am currently using an Asus 7970 (Matrix Platinum) and without clouds I could probably max everything easily. However when clouds do come in to play performace drops. It isn't unplayable but I notice a significant difference. I have clouds at 35%.

Pretty much exactly the same for me. Clouds (30's or lower) hit the fps pretty hard, especially with higher AA settings. Without higher AA (always 8-16x for me is a must for acceptable visuals) you get some pretty horrible shimmering, you can't win. Either fly with no / low AA which looks horribly jagged, or without clouds which is just un-natural for most days where I live.

Can only hope Nvidia looks / performs better, or it will be $400+ wasted. :rolleyes:

Glen

Well, Gtx 670 4gb purchased yesterday. Won't be home to install it for a couple of weeks. I'm going to do some "test" flights / scenarios with the 6970 still installed, 32 and 64 bit and record the fps and perceived smoothness. Then going to install the 670 and run the same flights. Will report back with my findings, but as I said it won't be for a few weeks yet.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone.......

Glen

Installed the Evga GTX 670 SC 4gb, plus switched to 16gb of ram. Don't know if the ram helped at all, it will elsewhere. There is really no comparison between the GTX 670 and ATI 6970. Minimum 50% increase in fps across the board, looks better, runs XPX smoother, uses less power, and is quieter. Where I would be getting 20fps before in a heavy weathered situation, I now get 30-40 with higher settings. Worth the $389, sure was to me. I was about to switch to a single 30" monitor from my 3 monitor setup, no need to now, 45" of viewing pleasure.. The outer monitors with the 6970 did not look good at all. With the 670 the side monitors don't look visually any different from the main forward view, very happy.

Glen

That sounds really good. Very happy that it's working for you and by the sounds of it it will probably work better than ati in other sims as well.

I am stuck with ATI because it's better at multi screens, otherwise I would move.

Jason, I'm using a 3 monitor setup and this 670 puts the 6970 to shame. I don't like the fact there's no presets for 1, 2 or 3 monitors, but it only takes a second to setup surround. Everything looks better with the 670, screen colors, Anti-Aliasing, the clouds (just a hint of banding (still think the cheap monitors contribute here) - the 6970 was terrible at night, the ground textures, only a very slight hint of shimmering (you have to look for it). There really is no comparison. Are you referring to monitors of differing sizes?

I used to scratch my head when everyone was going on about how beautiful it looked at night. I wondered if I was using the same sim. Since switching to the 670, I see what you guys have been raving about. It did not look close to this with the 6970.

I have liked the improvements seen with nvidia for ages, not least of all improved AA.

I am running 5 monitors , 3 screens in portrait/landscape/portrait for the view, another touchscreen for my primary instruments and a 5th for a CDU screen.

If I was only running four then I think I would risk splashing out on a 680 and if I didnt like it then put it in the racing rig. As it is there is no nvidia with more than four outputs and the ati has 6. It's really the only thing keeping me with ATI.

Ok, I see. Would 660ti's or higher in sli be an option for more monitors, not so easy on the wallet though I guess. Newegg has the 3gb 660ti's on for $299 with the rebate, still $600 though. Shame, because the visual difference is quite dramatic.