Sign in to follow this  
Guest do_denver2

To install UTX, or not? Advice.......

Guest do_denver2

I've just completed a fresh install of windows and P3D.... The plan is to keep things clean and simple.

I see no need so far to install GEX, as the P3D textures are pretty good, but I what about UTX? Is it much better than the default P3D landclass etc? Any advice would be helpful... THanks!

I dont own p3d but from what i saw it looks good in default. The last re install i did, I did not bother to install utx erope or north america both still on my shelf I do however have all the orbx regions and gex regions installed. I like to say the more simple the better

I used both GEX & UT with FSX. I've been using P3D exclusively for 6 months and have no need to install them. The only scenery I use is Orbx/FTX which is just so far advanced to GEX & UT.

Again, GEX & UT are very good programs. I just didn't want to start muddying the waters.

cthiggin

As noted in this link in the first message in this sticky at the top of this forum, Flight1 products either require a specific Prepar3d license to be purchased, or their EULA does not permit their use in Prepar3d.

UTX products currently fall into this latter group in that their EULA does not permit them to be installed in Prepar3d.

Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

However after careful consideration of the EULAs involved, I did instal UTX and GEX for North America, Europe and Alaska into the sim. I have them running beneath all Orbx scenery so I can ensure that when I fly out of an Orbx realm I have a better landscape beneath me than the default.

It is for you to make your own decision of course, but I have found the strategy makes a good scenery library.

Guest do_denver2

Thanks Ian. I previously had them installed, but was just wondering if they re actually better than default p3d, since p3d was supposed to have improved this area already.

Also I know about the EULA issue and find any further discussion of it to be a bit silly.

Thanks Ian. I previously had them installed, but was just wondering if they re actually better than default p3d, since p3d was supposed to have improved this area already.

Also I know about the EULA issue and find any further discussion of it to be a bit silly.

I haven't found any evidence of improved default scenery in P3D over FSX, except for Norfolk Virginia, and a few airports in Florida. UTX is head and shoulders above default P3D scenery. There is no comparison.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I have been surprisingly happy with the default terrain. But I do mix in my photoreal scenery, Orbx, megascenery too. I would say hold off for awhile and then just do it for a change of pace. When you get bored looking at the same ol' scenery.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Having recently switched from FSX to P3D, the P3D default scenery in the US areas is definitely superior to FSX. The texture resolution in P3D can now handle 4096 x 4096 textures. The improvement is not only in terms of visual appeal, but performance also. I did install UTX USA and GEX, but removed them both because they looked worse. Performance remains better than FSX, even with REX Essential + Overdrive and Radar Contact running.

UTX products currently fall into this latter group in that their EULA does not permit them to be installed in Prepar3d.

Here is the EULA from UTX-USA. The document reads the same for Canada, Europe and Alaska. Where is the part that says I cannot install into P3D?

Did you miss that part at the top of the EULA which indicates "for Microsoft Flight Simulator"?

Jeff

P.S. You might want to remove the images as they possibly contravene Tom Allensworth's message to all AVSIM members regarding "Copyright Materials".

AVSimSig.jpg

Having recently switched from FSX to P3D, the P3D default scenery in the US areas is definitely superior to FSX.

Can you please direct me to any place in the default scenery of P3D that is superior to FSX - default. I haven't seen that and would really like to since I've done numerous screenshot comparisons and found none so far, except for Norfolk, Virginia.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Can you please direct me to any place in the default scenery of P3D that is superior to FSX - default.

And in particular, UTX adds and corrects an awful lot of stuff necessary for basic VFR flight outside of more developed areas. Roads, rivers, lakes, shorelines. Unless P3D corrects these I'd still call UTX a must add.

Scott

for what its worth, i just installed fsglobal Ultimate/ UTX/ GEX , and the result is very nice.

The combination is Definatly better than defualt P3d in all areas.

Meshman: your publication of the EULA is both officious and pompous. It is up to the user to decide for themselves what the EULA means and act accordingly.

I am quite certain that I use my P3D for the Academic purposes in the licence; you no doubt would argue otherwise.

Please make your own decision, we'll make ours, thank you. I will not reenter this arid and go-nowhere debate again after all the hundreds of posts I have read here and elsewhere. I purchased UTX and GEX, and I now use them I believe correctly. Full stop.

Meshman I apologise deeply, I missed your introduction. I am on your side.

However, the righteous and the flamers will soon arrive. Ignore the whole debate.