Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

Airbus X Extended test

After reading the encouraging posts on the main Extended X thread I decided to purchase and test it out for myself.

When I first purchased the PMDG 744F I interrogated the systems and was pleasantly surprised, since then I have done the same with every add-on

I should add that I was fully aware that this is not intended to be an in depth simulation and I'm sure many of you don't care in the slightest if the Yellow HYD SYS is connected to the ALTN brake :) This is just a little info intended for those that are on the fence between FSL & interested as to how accurately this aircraft simulates the real machine.

The test was basically a very brief look into the system logic on the ground and a circuit around OMDB. I work with A3xx simulators & the development of aircraft performance calculators.

Visuals

First thing is that the VC is very very nice, I didn't see any blurries as describes in the other thread however the VC is nowhere near as good as it could be compered to other high end VC's. External is brilliant

PFD,ECAM can't be undocked for home cockpit users. MCDU can be undocked.

Systems

No deflected ailerons with Flaps config 1+F or higher (A3xx uses ailerons to assist with lift like the MD11)

ELAC (Elevator & Aileron) logic is completely wrong, SEC (Spoiler & Elevator) logic is correct :) FAC (Flight Augmentation) Logic is wrong, this is the Basis of FBW and has been simulated in FS for over 10 years going back to PSS!

Bleed system logic is perfect, Hydraulic Logic is excellent :) This was great on the original and I was very impressed considering it is supposed to be basic, the PTU will start barking at you if you lose the yellow system and you will lose various spoilers according to the FCOM, however the Yellow Electric pump is coded wrong and always switched on.

IRS/ADIRS is not correctly implemented the machine is constantly in GPS primary and no air data logic or working switching panel as far as I could see.

FBW

Roll control is smooth but not as light as the simulator, protections are way too slow, you can get the aircraft into a low speed buffet, Alpha max will take over before that in Normal law, roll control back within limits is also incorrect and way too slow, in fact to cut it short the FBW is wrong.

TOGA LK and Alpha floor works correctly including using the FCU to get out of TOGA LK. OP Climb and descent is completely wrong, it should be based on Maximum climb thrust or Thrust IDLE.

All in all despite the errors I do like it since I bought the original expecting much less. For those looking for a real A32x experience wait for FSLABS.

For those that want a casual A32x experience that does actually model a fair bit in detail they have done a very good job.

Whilst not my normal level of complexity she will definitely stay on my hard drive.

Rob Prest

That should make it pretty clear for those folks asking whether to go with Aerosoft or FSLabs, if you have a problem with the issues listed here, the FSLabs is the only one that's going to make you happy! But if you don't mind having all this stuff 100% like in the real plane, go for the Aerosoft!

Thanks for the review, I will continue my wait for the Bus!

Alexis Mefano

Thanks for the short review. I think the aiming point of the Aerosoft bus is clear.

I notice you guys are talking like the FSL was already there, working, with no trouble or downsides involved. That's not the case though. Just stating this because I saw other highly detailed addons failing for months, awaiting a service pack and, in the meantime, causing panel freezes or just activation issues. Not to mention a huge resource hunger still being present. 'Out of memory'.

I wished the first Airbus rendition from Aerosoft had come in like the Extended. Seems like some lacks or just strangely simplified items got corrected in the right way. Some friends of mine already run it and are very happy. I guess I'll join them after Christmas.

If the same on the happiness can be said about the FSL, aiming at a higher system depth, even better. As for now, it's not there and the flight sim community is quick with 'auto-raising' expectations. Hence my note. No offence. ^_^

CoolP I here you man, but there are some basic things that need to be modelled correctly to get it right within FSX. Stuff that has been pulled off perfectly within FS by other developers so I know it's possible, and that's why I'm pointing it out.

What I'm trying to say is the things that they have got wrong can be simulated within FSX, the FBW can be fixed without a doubt, system logic can be fixed, it just takes time and patience. In an ideal world developers would share there knowledge but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Rob Prest

Thank you Rob, excellent review. I'm waiting for FSL, definitely! I have BBS bus in the meantime, they have done very well FBW and one big update is expected this days

You have a point, Rob. And I'm hoping that, on the calmer days, the devs find the time to look into the detailed reports as they are meant good. I've thumbed yours up. As you say, some stuff may easily be corrected without the need to rewrite all things.

In an ideal world developers would share there knowledge but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I like the idea though.

On the FBW behaviour, I saw an interesting note from the devs over at Aerosoft. Seems like FSUIPC calibrated controls may be able to interfere somehow. I leave it open if that's an excuse or if it could explain some delayed or even wrong sim reactions.

I don't have the bird yet, so I can't test it. My controls would be normal though, plain FSX.

I notice you guys are talking like the FSL was already there, working, with no trouble or downsides involved. That's not the case though.

Exactly my feeling. The Aerosoft bird, which has actually been release for consumption, is being compared to the FSL bird, which is all information being hand fed from the developer at this point, and the NGX which is a completely different class of aircraft. Both from a Boeing/Airbus perspective, as well as being in a completely different price range. Do I expect my Mini to be in the same league as a Maserati? No.

CoolP I here you man, but there are some basic things that need to be modelled correctly to get it right within FSX. Stuff that has been pulled off perfectly within FS by other developers so I know it's possible, and that's why I'm pointing it out.

I appreciate your input as it's great to see some issues backed by some supportive information. Have you shared this with the developers as well? It great information for the consumer, but even better for the folks that can actually do something about it. Thanks again for your time.

- Aaron

Exactly my feeling. The Aerosoft bird, which has actually been release for consumption, is being compared to the FSL bird, which is all information being hand fed from the developer at this point, and the NGX which is a completely different class of aircraft. Both from a Boeing/Airbus perspective, as well as being in a completely different price range. Do I expect my Mini to be in the same league as a Maserati? No.

I appreciate your input as it's great to see some issues backed by some supportive information. Have you shared this with the developers as well? It great information for the consumer, but even better for the folks that can actually do something about it. Thanks again for your time.

BINGO, BINGO, BINGO !!! :lol:

Hi,

Nice post. but I must correct certain incorrect points you said.

No deflected ailerons with Flaps config 1+F or higher (A3xx uses ailerons to assist with lift like the MD11)

Not sure where you are seeing this, I definitely have that both on the ECAM and external model.

ELAC (Elevator & Aileron) logic is completely wrong, SEC (Spoiler & Elevator) logic is correct :) FAC (Flight Augmentation) Logic is wrong, this is the Basis of FBW and has been simulated in FS for over 10 years going back to PSS!

Be more specific, just saying its completely wrong but without reasons.

Ah wait, if you mean the ELAC1 will take over ELAC2 that kind of stuff, then no, we dont simulate that, simply because IRL, you dont ever switch those thing off.

IRS/ADIRS is not correctly implemented the machine is constantly in GPS primary and no air data logic or working switching panel as far as I could see.

Never our intention to simulate IRS. Many users just like the ALIGN IRS with the red displays so we done that.

Roll control is smooth but not as light as the simulator, protections are way too slow, you can get the aircraft into a low speed buffet, Alpha max will take over before that in Normal law, roll control back within limits is also incorrect and way too slow, in fact to cut it short the FBW is wrong.

As long as you are not a real world pilot, I wont trust this, even in a simulator, simply because nobody actually ever experienced using such a function aside from test pilots. Unless you are willing to go on a REAL airbus and try this out, I would be glad to take feedback from you.

OP Climb and descent is completely wrong, it should be based on Maximum climb thrust or Thrust IDLE.

False, its maximum climb thrust and THRUST IDLE, I dont know where you are seeing this again.

For those that want a casual A32x experience that does actually model a fair bit in detail they have done a very good job.

Whilst not my normal level of complexity she will definitely stay on my hard drive.

Well, thank you. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Joshua C.

WSSS

coloraerosofta320extdev.png

Rob, one nice feature not mentioned, that I haven't seen implemented on any other aircraft addon including PMDG, is it models Icing in the form of warnings on the EICAS. I was wondering if you can comment, how accurate it is modeled?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest cassis

Hi Rob,

Wish you could have get us the Airsimmer for FSX after all this time.....

As long as you are not a real world pilot, I wont trust this, even in a simulator, simply because nobody actually ever experienced using such a function aside from test pilots. Unless you are willing to go on a REAL airbus and try this out, I would be glad to take feedback from you.

Hey Joshua,

All I am saying is it doesn't behave the same as the sim, the only time you will see a big divergence between the sim and the real machine is when you try to push it outside the normal envelope (eg stall the aircraft in normal or direct law) In all honesty, if Airbus X pilots are operating the aircraft correctly they will never see Alpha max, Alpha floor or TOGA LK while they fly this bird so it's not a big deal.

Apologies regarding OP CLimb/DES, I actually corrected my post over on the BAV forum, the post here on Avsim got buried pretty quickly so I didn't bother updating it after further test flight's.

Perhaps you can clarify something for me. I found that I would get Max climb thrust in OP CLB when in managed NAV and a fully programmed route, however when I did the initial test I was flying HDG select, OP CLB gave me vertical speed? This is incorrect

I'll load up the sim now and check the deflected ailerons in Config 1+F again, must be my mistake but I'm pretty sure I never saw anything on the flight control page.

Once again I would like to say this a great simulation that has pleasantly surprised me :) Well done!

Rob Prest

All I am saying is it doesn't behave the same as the sim, the only time you will see a big divergence between the sim and the real machine is when you try to push it outside the normal envelope (eg stall the aircraft in normal or direct law) In all honesty, if Airbus X pilots are operating the aircraft correctly they will never see Alpha max, Alpha floor or TOGA LK while they fly this bird so it's not a big deal.

Well, the point is my protection are also guess work, there is no real way of finding out. With that said, you cant qualify it against a sim. But since you acknowledged its then a fair point.

however when I did the initial test I was flying HDG select, OP CLB gave me vertical speed? This is incorrect

I am unable to replicate this, my OP CLB gives correct acceleration/decel values which is according to speed selected, not Vertical speed. Perhaps this is a bug, but for now I will try to replicate this, and when I manage to replicate it, then it will be fixed.

I'll load up the sim now and check the deflected ailerons in Config 1+F again, must be my mistake but I'm pretty sure I never saw anything on the flight control page

The movement is very small, and almost cant be noticed if you look away and then look at it again, maybe I can change the value of the movement.

Once again I would like to say this a great simulation that has pleasantly surprised me :) Well done!

Well, thanks. Its great to know after months of hard work (some years for another developer) that people enjoy what you created.

Joshua C.

WSSS

coloraerosofta320extdev.png

Just checked the flight control page and deflected ailerons have been modeled correctly :) I'm used to undocking the upper & lower ECAM to other monitors for a clearer view, I guess I couldn't see it clearly on my initial test. Very nice touch!

Take care

Rob Prest

Roll control is smooth but not as light as the simulator,

I can back Rob up on this, the roll control is a bit sluggish, if possible could this be tweaked to make her a bit more nimble in the future?

Still a very nice add-on, well done on the work put in.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg