Sign in to follow this  
lateagain

PC Pilot reviews FTX ENG

What we really need is more scenery like what Earth Simulations and FranceVFR are doing -

So what is FranceVFR doing that makes it so good looking? Not landclass presumably, certainly not photoreal...

SkipperMac

So what is FranceVFR doing that makes it so good looking? Not landclass presumably, certainly not photoreal...

Yes, photoreal.

You can add custom objects (what people often incorrectly autogen) over photoscenery.

FranceVFR have automated the process for their last two sceneries - normandy and alsace.

Check out the screenshots on their site, or the vid above. Note how there's actually unique things to see - unlike the pretty but generic effect you can get with landclass (and remember - with landclass, that object you're seeing doesn't exist...sorry!) Look at the hills in landclass - the textures never match terrain.

Orbx has obviously proved very popular with the punters right now. But i think what francevfr is doing is the future.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Impressive! But what about seasonal variation?

(Despite being the one who tried to drag this thread back to the title's theme, it would appear that we have definitely moved on from PC Pilot and its commercially sponsored "reviews" lol)

SkipperMac

Orbx has obviously proved very popular with the punters right now. But i think what francevfr is doing is the future.

I'd agree it's the ultimate solution for the forseeable future ....but didn't megascenery drop the 3D structures recently to cover more areas? Without 3D trees and structures photoreal is a waste of disc space for GA, Bush, Low 'n Slow pilots but for airliners etc. it's fine ....till the approach.

I think some of the problem is that between Fast and Slow, High and Low there has to be a compromise for the publisher/creator. Smaller areas done to greater detail would provide Low&Slow pilots with hours of flying whereas any jet will clear the scenery in minutes rather than hours. In trying to be all things to all men the latest FTX ENG area seemed a bizarre selection when all previous attempts at UK scenery have been divided (IMO more logically) by latitude.

There was talk on the official forum of discussions with Earth Simulations .....but what that came to, if they ever said (?), I missed.

I'm certainly tempted by VFR France's Latest regions as they're an obvious (and Real World) destinantion for many UK GA pilots in the South of England. Not in a hurry to spend more on Europe until I see what they fix in SP1 though. I'm getting into float planes at the moment and the new version of Accufeel has some interesting enhancements for those. Floats means PNW to me? The UK's almost TOTAL lack of seaplane bases nowadays makes it irrelevant for that.

Geoff

Geoff Brown

That VFR France shot is incredibly impressive, pity it isn't an area I'm really interested in. I tried out some of megascenery's US latest scenery and I uninstalled it very quickly. It looks so flat and barren, especially at anything below 2000ft, where it looks blocky, and really wrong. Also there are obvious discolorations everywhere, which simply do not look good. I will never understand their decision to remove autogen, they've shot theirselves in the foot by doing so. I'd much rather fly with OrbX's scenery, fake or not, it looks better than that.

I use VFRPoland which looks similar to VFR France, where it's photoscenery, but it's filled out with autogen trees and buildings. It works really well, even at low altitudes, and I really believe this is the way to go if you want accurate scenery which looks good at any altitude. The other thing I really like about VFRPoland is that it has seasons, and night textures as well, and it's been so well done. There is no discolouration and everything looks consistent.

I have Treesacpes installed, so the Horizon VFR GenX photoscenery does not look completely flat (although it will be even better when Earth Simulations upgrade the trees in England and Wales to have more correct scaling, and greater variety). I fly "low and slow" at all times, so you can use photoscenery for GA flying, so long as the scenery resolution is good enough. There are certain areas that could do with being improved though, like the oversaturated colouration of the region around RAF Lyneham, and also those horribly bland textures around Glasgow. These two areas definitely need to be sorted out. Apparently, England and Wales will be getting new 30cm resolution photoscenery at some point, so hopefully this scenery will be more consistent in terms of colouration and clarity.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

VfrFrance's approach is state of the art.

Megascenery is not - the v1 scenery has poor autogen and questionable source imagery, the v2 is just an attempt to slice up SimSavvy, add some water masking and sell it at a profit.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

VfrFrance's approach is state of the art.

Megascenery is not - the v1 scenery has poor autogen and questionable source imagery, the v2 is just an attempt to slice up SimSavvy, add some water masking and sell it at a profit.

Yep, FranceVFR is the best there is. Sadly they don't cover much of the FSX planet...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Although I don't (didn't) have much interest in VFR flying in France, I purchased their Normandy region yesterday after seeing the above video, and it's incredible. I didn't understand how it all works as their website is all in French, but they use some sort of automation tool for generating buildings. The effect is absolutely the best I've ever seen in Flight Simulator, seeing is believing. If you want the sensation of being there, then these guys have done it.

With the autogen (which looks like it is hand-placed individually), it's easy to see dimensions in valleys and hills, and screenshots or the video above don't do it justice, it's worth just trying out. I have the north of this region on one of my CAA UK charts, and object placement is accurate. There are windfarms, factories, churches, boats, villages etc. Amazingly, frame rates are much better than the OrbX autogen areas in England for example. They seem to only have done 2 regions so far with the new autogen technology, the rest are either just photo areas, or photo areas with much less dense autogen. But I really look forward to them adding more regions now. If there are any French speakers reading this, do you know if they are going to license this technology for use outside of France?

The only downside to France VFR is now I have higher standards, and other areas pale in comparison. Also, it looks like they are actively working on X-Plane as well, and I hope they can get X-Plane it look this good and still be framerate friendly.

The only downside to France VFR is now I have higher standards, and other areas pale in comparison

:lol: " .....how ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm, now that they've seen Paris...."

The French, "God Bless em", have produced some of the best aircraft ever made and indeed my initial flying training was in a Rallye! However their fierce protection (a losing battle?) against the dominance of the English language doesn't serve them well? The web site has multi lingual flags on the title but all are "greyed out". However getting Google to translate the page isn't too bad.

Very difficult to sort out what's what in their product range though? Not the best laid out web site!

When you click on the "3D" symbol a lot of different areas come up ....which is confusing as because I was under the impression that only two areas had been done so far? Couldn't work out what the other one was looking at the site yesterday?

I hope they continue this across all their regions? there are a few I'd buy for the geography. Again like FTX ENG it seems a weird concept to have done the country by "political" rather than global/geographic borders? It would cost a lot to cover the whole country and because of the quircky political boundaries even a specific "region" would involve a few purchases.

Which is the other region?

Geoff Brown

Which is the other region?

It's Alsace in the North-East. This actually looks like a nice diverse region with mountains, etc. I might try this when I recover the bank balance a bit :-)

From what I can make out of their site and by googling, they seem to sell different VFR products. The V2 VFR Regional products are the ones with the VFR Automation, MESH and orthos, and currently they only have 2 regions Alsace and Normandy. I was interested in the Calais for VFR flights from the UK, but it is still a V1 product, which although it looks good from the screenshots, doesn't use the same technology as the V2 products.

They also have just plain old HD photograph regions without objects, and separate downloads for mesh and obstacles. The V2 VFR Regionals are the premium products which include everything, and I look forward to them releasing more regions

Bought the France VFR scenery sometime ago, and It's some of the best scenery I have seen. But I had to give up on using it because it didn't work very well with ES channel islands scenery. Spent 2 days trying to get those scenerys coexist, but couldn't make it work. The problem is the custom autogen.

Think thats why FTX have region switching to avoid these kind of problems with having different autogen in different regions.

I could make these scenerys work half decent, but It didn't look like it should.

Now I have only ES and Orbx EU and it seems that Orbx made it compitable with ES whithout messing up the autogen in ES, wish France VFR could have the same compitability.

They say it is compitable and to use the ESmerge tool, but It didn't work out very well for me....The autogen got messed up no matter what I did.

And France VFR isn't very compitable with itself either, installed Alsace and when I installed Haute normandie it messed up the autogen in Alsace.

I have given up France VFR and other scenery that use special autogen. I'll stick with ES scenerys and Orbx, atleast It's works and don't mess up each other(because they have merged the autogen files for you). I hated the region switcher in Orbx at first but I understand now why they have choosen to use it.

Try for yourself to make this work, then you'll understand my frustration.