Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Should we upgrade to the new Nvidia driver?

There have been lots of posts recently. For some people the new drivers work. For others, it crashes. Seems to be random. Look for threads about it.

Edit: here you go:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/394336-warning-about-the-new-31070-drivers/

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Downloading as we speak. Thanks, Mark!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Da*& the torpedos, full speed ahead!!!!!!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Yup. One can always roll back.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

My report? :lol: I'm looking for yours, Mark!!

Look - some folks pc's crash every second day: some folks pc's will crash four times per year: others never crash. What happens on my pc has no bearing as to what may happen on yours. Everyone's machine is totally different!

If it works - fine! if not - then roll back and wait for the whql version. That's all.

Personally - I have never had a graphics failure - except caused by me through overclocking the gpu. For me this is a no-no.

Cheesh! Like I said - some folks pc's crash every second day: some folks pc's will crash four times per year: others never crash. What happens on my pc has no bearing as to what may happen on yours. Everyone's machine is totally different!

If it works - fine! if not - then roll back and wait for the whql version. That's all.

Beta tester??? Any time you install something new on your pc you're being a beta tester.

Gimme a break. <_<

Yup. One can always roll back.

My Gateway FX6860 desktop has two slide-in HD bays accessible behind a door on the front panel. No wires. Just snap into a plastic bracket w/handle and slide until the edge connectors mate into sockets at the back of the bays. That and Seagate Disk Wizard lets me clone my primary drive in about 40 minutes. By clone, I mean I can boot to it and its an exact copy.

Safer than rolling back. Today I had a major scare. For some braindead reason I found a UTX folder in the downloads area of my user folders. I noticed a patch (1.5) and I was not sure I had applied it. I attempted to see what my active UTX version was but could not figure it out. So I started running the patch (.exe). Then I had second thoughts. I hit cancel. When I went to load FSX I got the dreaded fatal error message. Rebooted. Got it again. Replaced my fsx.cfg file with a month old backup. Still fatal errors. I had made a clone yesterday, and also on another drive had made an image backup. I booted the the clone and FSX ran fine from it. Then I rebooted to my primary, copied some spreadsheet files I had updated since yesterday and my Quicken finance file to a thumb drive, Restored the image backup. and now I am back flying FSX. Whew!!!!

When a new driver has such mixed results, make sure you prepare yourself before diving in.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks Mark. Interesting. I have the 580, yet the auto-search in the main download area comes up with the 306.97 as the latest whql release, and only by doing a manual search for the 310.70, did the driver show up.

Sooo...downloading..... 5 minutes remaining.... :Doh:

Thanks again,

:hi: