Sign in to follow this  
MattM1121

Using an external app to record flights.

Greetings Folks,

I used to use FRAPS as my tool to record flights. Recently I've upgraded my rig and now have a 4 monitor set up. Two monitors are standard 1280x1024 LCD DVI. Two are 1600x1200 touch screen VGA->MiniDisplay connector.

My Radeon HD 7850 has two DVI and two MiniDisplay. For whatever reason the frist MiniDisplay is considered monitor 1.

When I start FRAPS it uses the default "1" display which is, of course, is the wrong display. There is no way to tell FRAPS to use a different display.

I tried HyperCam2 but display drivers are causing issues which ends up being just a black video.

I tried Action! but all that does is crash FSX.

If anyone has any ideas or reccomendations for other apps that might help, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks

Have you tried FSRecorder? Not sure how it would work with that setup, but got to be worth a try...

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Thanks for the idea Gazzareth, however that's internal to FSX and I need something that I can save as actual video.

What type of video(s) are you looking to record? If not "live action", then there is an Alpha version of FSRecorder which may be what you're looking for.

http://www.fs-recorder.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=776

Essentially record the flight (or what segments/scenes you want) with FSRecorder. Then you can play back that recorder using FSRecorder's rendering engine. It essentially turns FSX into a 3-D rendering environment, allowing you to specify what resolution AND fixed FPS you want your output video to be. For example if you want a 1080p recording with perfect, solid, 30FPS video, it will render it that way. The tradeoff is depending upon your system specs, rendering can take a long time.

Check out the forums for some user videos using this feature. Result is silky smooth videos with the highest possible visual quality.

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800