Sign in to follow this  
Ponk

Problem with TAT and winds at destination

Hi all

I´ve been using OPUS since release . I had one of the early versions (not sure what the version was 2,3x,0 I think) and everything worked fine. TAT at cruise altitudes and the winds at destination airport matched the real life Metar.

I just downloaded 2.71.0 I put the destination ICAO in the options page. During cruise, I checked the weather for the destination and I see there are 3 winds listed, static, real and upper. The static seems to be something close(ish) to the real (usually winds are 90 deg off), the real is an exact match for the real Metar, and the upper are the upper winds. When landing, the sim uses the static (false) winds instead of the real winds, why is this?

I then done a flight from Denver to Jackson in the PMDG NGX and could only climb to FL280. The TAT was around +7 deg at FL280. I looked at the OPUS weather menu in game and can see no.7 target temp -44, no 8. Ambient temp - 22, TAT 7.

I check OPUS setup and "download GRIB forecast" and "Simfriendly GRIB" options are ticked (no idea what they are for) and Weather server was set to Primary Server. I unticked both GRIB options and selected VATSIM weather, restarted OPUS, jumped back into the NGX and the TAT jumped to -16.

What should I do to try to solve these problems? Otherwise, I really love this programme :)

Thanks

Iain

-Iain Watson-

I just done the return flight. No GRIB options enabled, Weather server on Primary. TAT was -36...much better!

Also noticed the wind on descent into Colorado Muni was 245@14kts, real 040@5kts. Then as I was down to 5000ft and flying the STAR, the real wind values deleted themselves and I was left with 040@5kts, perfect.

Not sure if it is a case where sometimes OPUS hasn´t time to update the wind in FSX to the same as the real wind, but this flight went perfect. Really loving OPUS just now, great low vis and overcast depection, lovely clouds enroute, still some wind changes and cloud changes on updates but not severe and they don´t bother me at all.

Cheers

Iain

-Iain Watson-

Hi Iain

All target wind and temp data above FL200 is taken directly from the NOAA GRIB forecast data. If you don't have GRIB selected for NOAA wind forcasts then OpusFSX simulated (FSX friendly) winds are used. If you are using the optional GRIB data then the GRIB friendly option should be selected on systems suffering from FSX wind shift problems since we attempt to set the winds within limits to keep FSX happy.

We set target temperatures for FSX but FSX can be several degrees away from its target temperature (6 degrees is not unexpected) some systems are better than others but FSX is not that perfect. You will also find it may lag behind its targets when climbing or descending. We are forever tweaking this and that to squeeze the last bit of performance or stability out of FSX, which is especially fickle when presented with RW changeable and varied weather. We have no control over the TAT which is calculated by FSX or the aircraft sim itself. You can keep an eye on the temps via our weather report windows.

Regards

Cheryl

GRIB is the upper wind data for FSX. With GRIB unchecked it OPUS will use "replicated" upper winds. I'd keep GRIB download checked at the minimum if you're flying above FL200. Sim Friendly GRIB just helps FSX apply the true winds a bit more sim friendly.