Sign in to follow this  
Janov

Helicopters on rooftops

I am not sure if everyone noticed - but the latest beta made realistic helicopter operation on rooftops possible again.

All the multistory buildings are now "solid" - that means you can crash into them, but also land on the rooftops!

There are even some very nicely done rooftop heliports in the default scenery now - the pic´s below show one at the southern tip of Manhattan.

Merry Christmas everyone,

Jan

Very Nice!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Looks nice! I have actually never tried out helicopters in xpx. Maybe it's time for me to do that... What would be the "best" one out there?

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Wow!! That definitely does NOT look like the default scenery, nice find.

"Feathers shall raise men even as they do birds towards heaven :— That is by letters written with their quills."

— Leonardo da Vinci

http://www.hkspotting.com

Looks nice! I have actually never tried out helicopters in xpx. Maybe it's time for me to do that... What would be the "best" one out there?

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2

I personally think that flying helicopters might be the most rewarding thing you can do in X-Plane. The quality of the autogen and lighting comes into play really well when flying "low and slow" - also the physics model on X-Plane lends itself very well to simulating helicopter flight.

The default helicopters are an ok place to start, but there are a few freeware ones that are also fun. Unfortunately some of the models from XP9 did not carry over to XP10.

As for payware I can not recommend the BK-117 from ND Art +Technology enough - it is the one that I used in my screenshots. Please take this advice with the knowledge that I do not own any other payware helicopters and also know the author of the BK-117 very well personally ^_^ .

I have also heard very good things about the Bell 206 Jetranger by Conex! There is a S-92 as well, but it seems to be plagued by flightmodel problems and the producer has disappeared for months after promising an update for that "anytime soon" :wacko: .

There are severeal "real" heliports in the system, but they usually consist of just a default helicopter landing pad plonked down at it´s correct position.

To play around with helicopters I can also recommend to practice at the oilrigs, they are really well modeled, as are the aircraft carrier and the frigate. Some custom scenery (like ENZV) also include lots of helipads and even a little trailer you can land on. Another noteworthy one is the "Air Zermatt" scenery for Switzerland. It includes a landing pad at a high-altitude mountaneers lodge - incredibly tough to land on.

Otherwise I just let my imagination run free, land on intersections, forest clearings, tall buildings, front yards, etc. You can also do autorotations and tail-rotor failures. It´s fun to unhook the external camera "C" and watch the replay afterwards!

Jan