Sign in to follow this  
TracyQ

I have a TrackIR 5, and rarely use it?

I know I have to be in the minority here, but I usually just use the hat switch in FSX. Maybe I am just lazy (always on the road and use a laptop to run FSX, but most times it seems more trouble than it is worth), but usually just fly without it.

It may be because I use the laptop (17" screen) and that screws up the monitor to clip distance, but it is what it is.

(Now that I've posted this, I may hook it up for this session of FSX, LOL!)

Another factor may be that I fly "low and slow" GA 99% of the time?

You aren't alone... I have one and it sits collecting dust for FS... I don't wear a headset, don't want to have to put on a hat or a visor for every flight, have a room that gets bright sunshine which sends it crazy and like you found it was more trouble than it was worth opposed to preset views and a hat switch.

So you aren't alone if that makes you feel any better :)

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I only use mine when g/a flying. When flying big iron or ifr I have a fixed view of the pfd and my tir sits there.

I have been trying hard to get used to it, but still fly mostly without it.

I don't mind wearing a hat, and have no technical problem. What annoys me is the angle of vision. I can't move my head to see the whole overhead panel and then move it to see the whole pedestal (in heavies). So I jump on my seat, tilting my head in all directions, probably looking very funny, but no luck. I could increase the angle in the driver, but then it is way too sensitive.

I agree it's much better suited for g/a.

I use mine all the time. But I wear a headset 99% of the time on the PC (to keep the wife happy). With TCP the thing just connects to my headset so it's only a few extra wires and it feels the same.

I do pause it when flying larger jets or when working with stupid annoying tiny clickspots!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have a TrackIR4. Rarely in use; only when I want make visual approach videos.

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

This must be the "I hate my Track IR" thread LOL! I'm sure there are plenty of simmers who would LOVE to have your hardware :wub:

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I can't fly without it

Often heard, and I agree that it is an amazing piece of kit, just not for me, not all the time.

Guest Mik75

I really have to say that getting my Track Ir nearly 5 years ago, improved my simming experience and immersion just as dramatically as finally getting a joystick after flying with the keyboard exclusively for the first year, back in 2004.

It's really an amazing piece of equipment and worth every cent. Taxiing, taking off, landing and doing pattern work is so much easier and more enjoyable with it.

In cruise, to be honest, I switch to 2D (with the planes that still include them) and pause my headtracker... And as the T/D gets nearer, I really look forward to the approach and landing in the VC!

I think the key to enjoying the trackIR is mapping both the Center and Pause button to buttons on your primary controller. After an extremely short time it becomes second nature to look somewhere, pause it if you need to, re-center it, if you feel like changing how you sit, etc. I found for the steady planes such as airliners or Cesnnas, it isn't really a mandatory thing, only an extreme nicetey, for instance when making that turn on to final--but when I started flying some of the higher performance,aerobatic planes, or just about any tail dragger, it was essential to maintain spatial awareness.

Hi all,

I have TrackIR and I have to say I couldn't fly without it. That's not just boasting but I really couldn't. It is so intuitive to look around the cockpit like you would in real life! Whether it be flying heavies, slow GA aircraft or WWll Fighters. Ok I admit it doesn't like sunshine, but they tell you that in the instructions. I have my Proclip, clipped onto a cheap set of headphones with the speakers taken out, just leaving the earpads, makes the headset nice and light too!

Worth persevering with honest.

Happy flying.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Guest Raul_Hernandez

Wouldn't even start FSX (or any flight sim) without TrackIR. :wink:

I can't move my head to see the whole overhead panel and then move it to see the whole pedestal (in heavies). So I jump on my seat, tilting my head in all directions, probably looking very funny, but no luck. I could increase the angle in the driver, but then it is way too sensitive.

I fly GA planes that have overhead panels and consoles, and have no problems. Make the tracker less sensitive in the center, more sensitive toward the edges.

Having joystick/yoke buttons set up for center and pause functions is a necessity.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;