Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

SunCom SFS Throttle need help

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All,Well as often happen in this life, I have been using a SunCom SFS throttle, (the one with two handles together), and one of the kids killed it. circuit board inside is destroyed and its dead meat.Does anyone know a establishment who is still selling those? I think, (not completely sure, but the website isn't there any longer), that they were bought out and stopped making fs stuff.Anyways, if some one has one of these which is like new they would like to sell, please contact me, or if you know of an establishment who still has one in inventory.Best to all,Clayton T. DopkeMajor, USAF (retired)B52Drivr@aol.com

Guest mikehaska

I can tell you that after searching for one for myself, I did come up emptyhanded. That throttle is impossible to find in stores, online, or anywhere else. One place I did find it was at eBay. If you are willing to take a chance and buy it used, you'll probably find it there.If I can suggest a replacement: I bought a Saitek X45. Digital, USB, with a nice stick and throttle unit. I'm very happy with it, and it's functionality. If you do get a unit from Saitek, make sure you only get the X45 USB. The X36 and X45 Standard versions use keyboard passthrough, a technology that went out with Windows 95. If you get a unit like that, most of the features of the unit will not work.

Guest B52Drivr

Mike,Actually, since I have a Precision Flight Control serial port unit, and all my other equip, (I know, its old, but everything matches and was bought some time ago)and I tried a usb unit from a friend locally and it will not function with my serial port yoke and I'm not giving that up.Thanks anyways, I pretty much thought that it would be a fruitless venture, as I've had this for some time and I know they either went out of business or were gobbled up by someone else.Best.Clay

Guest LeoL

Would you be willing to sell it in its current state? If you are, I'd be interested.-Leo

Guest B52Drivr

Leo,It has a broken circuit board where the serial port and keyboard go into it . . . a new board would probably be needed, but you can make me an offer..Clay

Hi, Clayton. I wanted to make sure we are talking about this unit. I had it for quite a while, and as I recall it never performed to my expectations. I do not have the box any longer, and I am not sure if still works. Regardless, if it's the unit that you are looking for, let me know. TV http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/12192.txthttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/12193.txt

Guest B52Drivr

Yep,That's the one . . . if you think it still works, how much? and from what area would you be shipping from so I can estimate the freight?Best,Clay

Guest LeoL

That's all right, I plan to gut it by removing all the electronics and upgrade it to USB. Are all the mechanical parts working at least? Are the pots ok or do they need replacing? Did you experience allot of jitter when it was working? I

Guest B52Drivr

No jitters, mech's all ok, it has a broken circuit board which, not being an electrical genius, makes it broken to me. ClaY

Hi, Clayton.I was thinking about a small donation to Mr. Harvey

Guest B52Drivr

That's a wonderful idea . . . helps me and the Harvey's at the same time. I will be more than glad to do this in either or both of our names.If you will e mail me, I will give you my address, and let me know if what the freight, (reg UPS if boxed well) will cost and your expense to box it up.So, e mail me and we'll get this show on the road. No great rush, just would like to have it within two weeks or so.B52Drivr@aol.comThanks again,Clayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"B52Drivr@aol.com

Guest B52Drivr

Leo,Another individual on the forum has found me a working one, and will ship it to me for a small donation to the 'Harvey' fund, so, in turn, if you will make a $5.00 donation to the fund also, and send me your address I will ship this one to you and even pay the UPS ground.E mail me at B52Drivr@aol.com and give me your addy and I'll get on its way to you . . . that way everyone benifits from my misfortune and I'll be back in the skies soon and you will have one to convert to ubs . . .dying to see how you do that.Best to all,Clayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"B52Drivr@ aol.com

Guest LeoL

Oooops. I just fired off an email before I read this one. Well if that's the case, then you may as well put me down for 10 bucks instead! Thanks.Cheers,-Leo

Hi, Clayton.I was able to connect it to the Game port of my system and it does seem to be alive, but since I do not have the driver any longer I am not sure if it is in working order. It may be just some oxidized pots or maybe worse. I may have to take them apart and spray some Doxide on the pots to clean them up. I get it to show up / recognized as 2x2 controller but the range is very shallow, no real control. I will try to plug it into one of my older systems and see what results I get See my present system specs below.If you have any suggestions on how to best test it, with just W98SE, let me know, or if you have the drivers, and they are not over 4MB you can Email it to me and I will do further testing.I agree with you, the Harvey fund is a great cause, I

Suncom sadly went out of business several years ago.I am in the happy circumstance of owning 2 SFS throttles and a Talon stick, all of which are currently gathering dust (though I have some plans to maybe revive them in the future as a split throttle for FS in combination with USB yoke and rudder pedals).