Sign in to follow this  
tinhead59

Need plenty of advice please

Hello

Not sure if this is the right way to go about this? I have put together a new system and am very concerned about the CPU temps. At idle between 60 to 70 celcius and up to 101 when running FS9.

I am running FS9 and last night flying a DE Havilland Dash7 form Portland Oregan to Victoria BC I was about three minutes away from landing and the screen went black. Lost the flight and had to reboot and when I looked at the temps they were in the mid 90's. I am just using the CPU fan and a 120mm rear running at max speed at this time. I would prefer air cooling over liquid but not sure of what will do the best job so I am open to all suggestions, even liquid cooling.

Operating System

System Model

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Install Language: English (United States)

System Locale: English (United States)

Installed: 12/16/2012 3:09:57 PM No details available

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2700K

256 kilobyte primary memory cache

1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache

64-bit ready

Multi-core (4 total)

Hyper-threaded (8 total) Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS V FORMULA Rev 1.xx

Serial Number: 120801297700407

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1408 11/09/2012

Drives Memory Modules c,d

5501.09 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

4525.65 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-212D [Optical drive]

Seagate FA GoFlex Desk USB Device [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 3

ST3500320AS [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 9QM3M0WB, rev SD1A, SMART Status: Healthy

WDC WD10EACS-00D6B1 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 2, s/n WD-WCAU44464368, rev 01.01A01, SMART Status: Healthy

WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAZA2649135, rev 51.0AB51, SMART Status: Healthy 3542 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM0' has 4096 MB

Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM1' is Empty

Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM0' has 4096 MB

Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM1' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 1) * 500.10 GB 474.77 GB free

d: (NTFS on drive 2) 482.35 GB 480.89 GB free

e: (NTFS on drive 2) 517.86 GB 517.77 GB free

f: (NTFS on drive 0) 2000.40 GB 1823.25 GB free

h: (NTFS on drive 3) 2000.40 GB 1228.96 GB free

* Operating System is installed on c:

Network Drives

None discovered

Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers

local user accounts last logon

John 12/30/2012 6:55:26 PM (admin)

local system accounts

Administrator never (admin)

ASPNET never

Guest never

HelpAssistant never

SUPPORT_388945a0 never

DISABLED Marks a disabled account; LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account

Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver on Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Port:

Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:

Controllers Display

Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series [Display adapter]

LG E1910 [Monitor] (18.8"vis, s/n 202NDUN6A982, January 2012)

LG E1910 [Monitor] (18.8"vis, s/n 112NDSKAT622, March 2011)

Bus Adapters Multimedia

Asmedia 106x SATA Controller (2x)

ASMedia XHCI Controller

Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E26

Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E2D AMD High Definition Audio Device

Realtek High Definition Audio

virus Protection [back to Top] Group Policies

No details available None discovered

Communications Other Devices

↑ Intel® 82579V Gigabit Network Connection #4

primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.2.2 / 24

Gateway: 192.168.2.1

Dhcp Server: 192.168.2.1

Physical Address: 30:85:A9:93:C5:84

Networking Dns Server: 192.168.2.1

HID-compliant consumer control device

HID-compliant device (5x)

Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (HID)

Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (USB)

Saitek Pro Flight Yoke (HID)

Saitek Pro Flight Yoke (USB)

USB Human Interface Device (7x)

HID Keyboard Device

HID-compliant mouse

Generic USB Hub (3x)

USB Composite Device (2x)

USB Mass Storage Device

USB Root Hub (3x)

USB Storage Use in past 30 Days (mouse over last used for details) Hosted Virtual Machines (mouse over name for details)

Last Used

Seagate FA GoFlex Desk -- drive 3, s/n NA0KLEAR, rev 0D0B 12/30/2012 6:55:07 PM

Generic Storage Device, s/n 0911296076d7be, rev 0.00 12/16/2012 3:33:40 PM*

STOP IMMEDIATELY

- Overclocked?

- Stock Intel fan?

If your CPU temperatures are above 90C you have to stop, other wise you'r just doing harm..

First of all.. CHECK your CPU fan and your thermal paste for proper installation!!

Because you should be below 70C at all the time even when you are playing..

Are you using the stock cooler? And on the asus mobo what performance setting are you using?, balanced power saver, max performance ect, and make sure your cooler is properly seated, and consider investing in a corsair h100 or similer, I have thw h70 and I never go above 70 at 4.8 ghx on my 3770k

Sent from my Samsung galaxy s III Tapatalk 2

You either put the CPU cooler on incorrectly or you're overclocking using the stock cooler. My guess would be the first. Take it off, check the thermal paste (make sure it's there but also that you haven't just gobbed it on), then read the instructions for cooler installation and try again.

Thanks guys I have heeded your advice. I have been using the fan that came installed on the CPU Intel i7 2700 and I think it is inadequate too. The CPU was installed in front of my eyes at our local Canada Computers Store i watched evrything and can assure you it was done properly. I know him personaly for a long time now. As far as motherboard settings are concerned they are stock settings no overclocking whatsoever I can assure you. I think I need to upgrade the cooling.that's just my opinion. I would by no means call myself a techy but have successfully built my last 4 computers with no problems, but this one is a bird of a different color for me.

Question: Would this be a better alternative to what I am cooling with now :- COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V10 Hybrid TEC RR-B2P-UV10-GP 120mm CPU Cooler? I found it at NEWEGG.....John

Sounds like there may be a some dirt or hair between the Cpu and fan and I'd go liquid nothing fancy I'm running an h60 and it keeps my fx-8350 in the mid 20s at idle i think it cost like $30 after rebate

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Thanks guys I have heeded your advice. I have been using the fan that came installed on the CPU Intel i7 2700 and I think it is inadequate too. The CPU was installed in front of my eyes at our local Canada Computers Store i watched evrything and can assure you it was done properly. I know him personaly for a long time now.

I'm afraid it's not as simple as that. Intel's stock cooler is garbage, and it's attachment mechanism is horrible. Many a seasoned computer tech including yours truly has installed the stock Intel cooler only to see temps skyrocket even at idle. This is how I know the cause of your problem.

If you want to overclock more than just a few hundred MHz, an aftermarket cooler like the Corsair H100 would be a good choice.

Guest do_denver2

You can also turn of HT for the moment. It will drop your temps substantially.

I'm running my 3770k at 4.9ghz on air. I have the Coolermaster EVO 212. I have the Coolermaster HAF case, so I bought 3 additional 120mm fans and two 200mm (in addition to the fan that came with the EVO). I have one 200mm in front and the second on top. One 120mm fan on the side and the second in the back. The third 120mm is on the EVO for push pull. I also bought a tube of IC Diamond 24 paste for the CPU, which I just got and it really dropped the temps significantly. When running P3D, with HT off and all cores firing at 100%, my temps avg in the 70s.

Coolermaster EVO <30$

120mm fan 6$ x 3 = 18$

200mm fan 12$ x 2 = 24$

IC Diamond 24 paste 20$ (I hear the IC Diamond 7 paste is good also and around 7$)

So if you prefer air to liquid, then there's an inexpensive setup for you that does some real cooling damage.

I am note overly concerned about the cost of what I buy and I know that copper is a great heat killer and that's what I want.

I also would like to keep the noise at an acceptable level too, I am using a Sonata case at this time as it really does block noise well but it's not full of holes either so I may need to change that too. Please use the following link and see what you think.........John

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103056

Guest do_denver2

Hmmm.... Read the reviews first. It's very big. Perhaps if it were me, for the price I might get a nice water cooler. From my own experience the air setup I mentioned above works very well. Keep in mind that the above setup includes a bunch of case fans as well (including replacing the stock ones), which you might want to do even if you get that monstrosity of a cooler. If you do get it though please let us know the before/after, as it would be very interesting. Honestly from months of perusing these forums I've never seen anyone mention that cooler. Perhaps that's an important clue....

Your temps should be 1/2 half of what you are reporting. #1 turn off HyperThreading that will get you about 10-20c. #2 get a closed loop cooling system like the Corsair H1050, or H70 (MicroCenter has them). If you are overclocking or not get CPU core vcc at about 1.35v max. Other than that ensure your cooling is valid by confirming fan speeds and airflow. Heat should flow up and out. Basic stuff I know but you don't want to be blowing hot power supply or GPU exhaust over you CPU fan. And never use a stock CPU cooler. Again basic stuff. Cheers jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I turned off hyper threading and the temps went higher by several degrees so went back to turning them on hmmm.

LOL that's not supposed to happen. The reason is that your CPU needs more voltage to get HT to work. Do you use RealTempGT? Try it with and without HT but give it a few minutes to settle down to idle mode before running XSBench. Do you have ESIT (Intel Speedstep) enabled? My temps are about 10c higher with HT. Cheers jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

With that much heat I wonder if your Cpu is afu'd

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.