Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Dino's Freeware F35 Released

I have to engage STOL as you said Tom (tailhook) then I have to click on the Hover button to go into VTOL mode... but reducing thrust does this?

Thanks btw,

Rob

short vid of landing on a carrier... (oops is a STOL landing... but the davido was asking about this).

Nice Landing!

Thanx Dino! your work is very much appreciated, yours freeware are the best for carrier ops! The F-35 is grate :Applause:

The model is excelent and the interior is very good although it you can see its flaws up close. Im not sure about its physics though, you know, in V/STOL. I thought it could hover pretty much like a harrier. beyond that, awesome work.

PS: hmmm now i wonder if there are other freeware as good as this.

Im not sure about its physics though, you know, in V/STOL. I thought it could hover pretty much like a harrier. beyond that, awesome work.

The F-35B DOES hover like a Harrier; in fact, it hovers even better since it's fully automated and FBW.

Meaning that, in Hover mode, and without explicite longitudinal speed commanded and centered controllers, it hovers on the spot. Even in windy conditions.

If you mean something else, please explain your remark.

As to

Has anyone ever been able to land this thing in the STOL form? Everytime I touch the nosewheel down, it sinks into the tarmac, or ship, and I get a crash.

Make sure that, in STOL mode, you slow down enough so you don't land on the nosewheel first. This will certainly damage the landing gear.

Also note, that the F-35B is designed as a STOVL aircraft (Short Take Off Vertical Landing).

Although Short Landings (and Vertical Takeoffs) are possible.

Rob

The F-35B DOES hover like a Harrier; in fact, it hovers even better since it's fully automated and FBW.

Meaning that, in Hover mode, and without explicite longitudinal speed commanded and centered controllers, it hovers on the spot. Even in windy conditions.

If you mean something else, please explain your remark.

Well, I have been incapable of hovering. If I get stationary(which is only possible with a high pitched nose) I loose altitude. If i increase throttle I wont hover, the aircraft will start moving forward loosing or gaining altitude depending on the amount of throttle. i kinda figured out that im supposed to press something else, im not sure what though :huh:

Nice Landing!

Thanks! It's fun stuff!

Well, I have been incapable of hovering.

You have to activate STOL then VTOL (hover) mode. It hovers "perfectly" - and you can translate in all six axes (lat / long / vertical). See pages 20-22 of the manual. If you can assign any buttons to those functions mentioned, it makes STOL / vTOL modes very easy.

- R.

but i also found out that i must reduce weight quite a bit or it beeps on me.

Yep... that weight limitation also in the manual. :smile:

Thanks for the heads up Ryan, what an amazing piece of freeware it is. :)

Regards Doogie

F-35Hover.jpg

F-35Train.jpg

F-35Road.jpg

Ok I managed to make it hover, but i also found out that i must reduce weight quite a bit or it beeps on me.

When you have too much weight, the "hover" button will be red and the aircraft will not hover. The default weight of over 50,000 lbs is over the limit (about 40,000 lbs). It is all in the manual.

Henri

Henri Arsenault