Sign in to follow this  
ant_1984

My SSD Addiction! What's yours?

My name is Anthony and I'm an SSD addict!

I seriously can't get enough of these things and I think I have a problem. Haha

Only a couple of weeks ago I picked up a 256Gb and a 512Gb Samsung 830 drive. The larger being FSX dedicated and one for my boot drive. Then I migrated my 120Gb Vertex 3 to my secondary pc.

Now I'm thinking of grabbing another SSD in the 120Gb-256Gb range for my other games, only it will have to run off a Sata 2 port. You think it's worth it?

I think I have a problem! Might need to book into rehab!

They are just so blazingly fast!

What's your pc/hardware addiction??

I have the same problem... LOL!!!!

I just got a Kingston 240GB SSD for my Win7 install. I have an ADATA 120GB SSD for FSX and I also have a Corsair 60GB SSD for my games... :lol:

I will pick up a single SATA3 512Gb Samsung SSD as well when I put my Haswell machine together and put OS & FSX on that one SSD for ultra simple clone backups. That should be ample storage. If P3D version 2 is worth the switch I will install it and a new OS installation on a separate HDD until such time that P3D is worth keeping as the only sim worth having, and at that point I will reformat (or whatever is done w/ SSD's) the 512GB SSD and clone the OS/P3D from the HDD to the readied SSD. I am committed to OS & FSX on the same larger SSD.

I have a 128GB SSD on my MacBook Pro w/ Win7 in Bootcamp and it does make for very fast boot times etc. Since I don't game nor store tons of pics/videos that is ample storage for what I use it for, even w/ 2 OS' installed.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Ben, I'm addicted to keeping my PC relatively up to date, but these SSD's. I'm just hooked! haha

I will pick up a single SATA3 512Gb Samsung SSD as well when I put my Haswell machine together and put OS & FSX on that one SSD

This sounds like a really solid idea. At this point I'm thinking I'll upgrade to Haswell too, but unless there has been some incredible performance improvements with SSD's between now and then, I'll just use my current SSD's for that build. It's a shame that most MB's only have 2 native Sata 6GBps ports though (atleast the ones I've come across). Maybe that will all change.

I am looking to purchase my first SSD.

Does FSX go on it alongside windows?

What size should I be looking at?

What kind of SATA ports do I need?

I have a Sabertooth P67 with 4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports,4 x SATA 3Gb/s ports

1 x Power eSATA 3Gb/s port

1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port

Are these reliable enough to buy off of craigslist (I'm in the states)? I found this deal today,

Kingston Hyperx 240 GB SSD BRAND NEW - $169

Sorry for the SSD noob questions but this seems like the best group to ask.

Chuck Biggins

Hi my name is Chris and I'm an SSD addict (too) lol I just bought my fifth SSD tonight, an OCZ Vector. Got em all on one machine with nothing but FSX addons. It's an expensive little addiction ain't it. My other four SSD's are Crucial M4's which have been solid as a rock. Was a little leary going with OCZ, but have read nothing but smokin reviews on these new generation Vectors, so we'll see how it goes starting tommorw as FSX gets installed on it.

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

I am looking to purchase my first SSD.

Does FSX go on it alongside windows?

What size should I be looking at?

What kind of SATA ports do I need?

I have a Sabertooth P67 with 4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports,4 x SATA 3Gb/s ports

1 x Power eSATA 3Gb/s port

1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port

Are these reliable enough to buy off of craigslist (I'm in the states)? I found this deal today,

Kingston Hyperx 240 GB SSD BRAND NEW - $169

Sorry for the SSD noob questions but this seems like the best group to ask.

Hi, Just be careful, once you get your first SSD it's a slippery slope down to SSD hell. Pretty soon you'll be going to desperate measures just to support your SSD habit, and rehab is gonna be next to impossible lol ;)

So to answer your questions yes FSX can go on your new SSD. Size will all depend on how much scenery and addons you have. I started with 120gb for FSX, but quickly out grew it. So I added another 240gb for my Megascenery and quickly out grew it. So added another 240gb for more Megascenery and Bluesky photo scenery and guess what, out grew it too. So then I added another 60gb and that was good till I started buying Orbix scenery which installs on the same drive as FSX. So I went out tonight and bought another 240gb so FSX and Orbx can all be on the same drive. You see where I'm going with this, get as much gigabytes as you can afford. You definitely want to use your 6gb ports with Sata 3 SSD's. I'm assuming with your four 6Gbs Sata ports, two of the ports are the gray Intel ports and the other two are the blue Marvell ports. Put your new SSD on one of the gray ports. I myself wouldn't buy a SSD from Craigslist. You need an easy return policy incase you get a dud. I bought all my Crucial M4's from Amazon, and my new OCZ from my local Microcenter retail store. Do a little home work on SSD's via Google. There are a new Generation of SSD's now hitting the market with improved performance, but even the older and cheaper generation SSD's are going to give you a noticeable improvement over your old wheel drives. Like I said in my post above I've had very good luck with Crucial M4 drives, and you can get them relatively cheap now compared to the new generation like my OCZ Vector which cost me 269.00 at the local Microcenter retailer. Good luck and have fun.

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

It's a shame that most MB's only have 2 native Sata 6GBps ports though (atleast the ones I've come across). Maybe that will all change.

If I am not mistaken, Haswell is supposed to offer more SATA III ports.... (Correct me if I am wrong!)

My name is Anthony and I'm an SSD addict!

Hi my name is Chris and I'm an SSD addict

Hi my name is Graham and I'm in the wrong room

Above is Dear John reference :lol: (UK TV comedy with crap US remake....as usual)

I recently upgraded to a Samsung 830 256 for FSX. Ironically the next day one of my 60gb Corsair Agility 3 died a death. I've only had it nine months. I recall reading on the net somewhere that there was a high fatality rate with those drives. I threw it in the bin after hitting it with a hammer several times. Couldn't be botherered with the warranty and hassle for a £60 drive. That is my first HD fail in many years!

Haswell is supposed to offer more SATA III ports

I really hope so Ben!!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull that trigger on another SSD in the next week, so hopefully Haswell might support all of them on SATA III ports. haha

My work gives me a $220 AUD reimbursement for my gym membership every 6 months, and guess what, I just realised I can get it in my next pay!

So it's either SSD or put the money aside for Haswell.

I'm thinking either another Samsung drive or maybe trying out one of the Sandisk Extreme Drives, they're a little cheaper. Not sure yet though.

once you get your first SSD it's a slippery slope down to SSD hell

Chris I think I'm building up speed on that slope and nearing the bottom. :diablo: He's waiting for me! haha

Hi, Just be careful, once you get your first SSD it's a slippery slope down to SSD hell.

Hey Chris I think I might be headed down that slope I just need to figure the size/price dilemma. I have modest scenery upgrades. FSGenesis USA is in the mail, No landclass (yet), an I have a few FSDT airports.

Thank you for your insight!

Chuck Biggins

1 x 128Gb PCIe SSD for Windows,

1 x 512Gb Sata III For FSX Main,

1 x 512Gb Sata III For FSX Scenery + Other.

No room for any more without adding a control card, well, SATA III anyway.

So it's either SSD or put the money aside for Haswell.

If you don't really need to extra storage space, wait for Haswell. From what I have gathered on other sites and interviews etc, Haswell *should* be well worth the wait... I am also in your same boat. - I want to upgrade to Haswell if it turns out to be a viable platform.

I've heard the same thing too Ben. Hmmm now you've got me thinking.

I definitely don't 'need' the extra storage as I have plenty on other conventional hdd's.

Maybe I'll hold off for a while or just put half towards Haswell instead.

Maybe I'll hold off for a while or just put half towards Haswell instead.

Great choice!