Sign in to follow this  
ant_1984

My SSD Addiction! What's yours?

I buy two OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, one for Windows 8 and other for FSX and their addons.

I'll do a clean install of all system next week when I receive my new P8P67 B3 board. I had a B2 but Sata fails, and vendor will give me a new B3.

I'm nervous about test SSD!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk 2

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

I'm somewhat against SSDs. They might work as boot drives, but nothing more than that. The only benefit they show in FSX is loading times (no FPS increase or less blurries), and since SSDs are not meant for storage, what's the point? If you keep writing to an SSD, it will slowly wear out and lose performance.

I have just bought a Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 Mobo for its many Sata III ports. Then I found out that it also has a "MSATA" port on it. I had to Google to learn more about MSATA, sounds like a good device to keep the OS on. Any Comment?

I'm somewhat against SSDs. They might work as boot drives, but nothing more than that. The only benefit they show in FSX is loading times (no FPS increase or less blurries), and since SSDs are not meant for storage, what's the point? If you keep writing to an SSD, it will slowly wear out and lose performance.

What about the benefits of not having to spend time defragging disk drives?

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

What about the benefits of not having to spend time defragging disk drives?

Defragging doesn't take too much time. You can do it once every two weeks while you don't have to use the computer.

Again, SSDs are not meant for storage.

I bought Vertex 4 512Gb and Force GT Sata 3 240 Gb SSDs for my new built and I've never used SSDs before. Btw, when first attaching them do I need to follow any special precedure?

Thanks,

Dirk.

If you keep writing to an SSD, it will slowly wear out and lose performance.

Says who?

.....and in any case do you really think that will happen within the expected life of ANY hdd? Do you expect it to happen in your lifetime? I've got a draw full of corrupted drives! SSD's may soon be joining them but right now any such statement is pure speculation?

Lets not forget that SSD technology is improving all the time. You only have to read the independant review sites to see which are robust and which are flaky. Having said that a (I'll not name them) HDD producer of high repute produced a batch recently that completely totalled a lot of folks data. I'd always bought their discs because they had a really good reputation. Anyone who ever made anything occasionally has a bad batch, a bad model ....but the good guys work through that and learn by the mistakes and regain their reputation.

Find me an article that supports your premise and I'll find you one that suggests that this is unlikely to occur in the lifetime of any machine it's put into.

Indeed some of us might wonder if we'll last as long as any data we treasure?! :lol: Some of us here had the first ever available "Home Computers". We've seen state of the art storage devices come, go and become almost unrecoverable in MONTHS. I've a drawer full of those too.

Hardware development makes 36 month old kit look like antiques. The reallity is that there's plenty of good kit out there that the average nerd would laugh at. Imagine if the DC3 had been a computer? The Lockheed Electra had such bad press as an airliner but went on to become the craft of choice for flying into hurricanes!!!

The sad thing about technology is that much of it is measured by standards that would NEVER be a reality. Why? Because when there's miniscule differences in performance the reviewers clutch at straws to find a difference.

Read any review of graphics cards and they'll happily post a "league table". Read how each card performs different tasks, responds to REAL (as opposed to theoretical benchmark tests) and the League Table soon begins to look like nonsense?

Sorry for the rant but at my age I've read so many opinions that were based on speculation and rumour, and as a technician for most of my life the majority of the myths and rumours proved to be total bull.

Geoff

Geoff Brown

I bought Vertex 4 512Gb and Force GT Sata 3 240 Gb SSDs for my new built and I've never used SSDs before. Btw, when first attaching them do I need to follow any special precedure?

Thanks,

Dirk.

Check ACHI is enabled in BIOS and the SSD is plugged on a 6gig SATA port on mobo as opposed to the 3gig ports

That's what I've read in many tech/review sites; as you keep making writes to an SSD, they lose performance (which is the reason you buy them in the first place). I'm not talking about the lifetime of the product.

Every time you make a tiny change to a file on an SSD the file blocks are completely recreated elsewhere on the drive and they always shuffle data around and use new space to maintain longevity.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Again, SSDs are not meant for storage.

That's a very bold statement, perhaps you could enlighten us what they are for. I won't tell mine that, I am on my third generation of SSDs, they have been flawless for storing data and they don't know their not supposed to do that. :lol:

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Check ACHI is enabled in BIOS and the SSD is plugged on a 6gig SATA port on mobo as opposed to the 3gig ports

Oh yes, thanks. Of course, on Intel's 6Gb SATA only.

Dirk.