Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

iPad app for navigation

I'm looking for an iPad app for navigation. On searching the forums people have mentioned the Remote Flight Nav app but it looks a bit basic. I would need it to display flightplans like the G1000, showing waypoints, freq codes, airspace etc. Perhpas the Simionic G1000 app might be better but it does not work with PMDG planes?

I've tried out a few apps, so hopefully you will find this useful

I mainly use AirNavPro with real world charts which allows me to plan a route, and then see my location on real world VFR charts (More importantly I can have charts outside of the US on here), but I'm guessing you're looking for something more useful for IFR.

For IFR, there is AirTrack, which is pretty decent, I'm not sure it will show airspace, but what it will do is show you the frequencies of any navaids along your route, and it will also tune into the frequency when you select it. Also the data syncs with Navigraph, so you can update it and have the same data as you have on the PMDG. It's been a while since I used it, but I remember it was pretty powerful and easy to use. What I really like about the app is its ability to control the simulator, i.e. You can set frequencies, activate autopilot, I think it even lets you steer using the accelerometer.

I also have Simionic G1000, and I found it a bit lacking. Lots of approaches I use are missing, and I couldn't get it to give me the frequencies of nearby VORs etc, without moving through the map myself to find them. I'm not sure if this is possible on the real G1000, but it certainly is on the Garmin 430/530

If you want the absolute solution, then I would recommend Avliasoft's EFB, which runs on your PC. You can display the screen on your iPad using something like Air Display. This is by far the most powerful application, although getting it to display on the iPad is a bit of a pain. It's also quite expensive. But I know it works well with PMDG and does all of what you have asked.

Foreflight is quite complete but expensive. It provide alll frequencies information for airport, navaid or fss.

Before buying foreflight, i was using TouchplanHD for basic flight planning combined with FSKneeboard2 for sectionnals and plates. I was downloading the ad directories in pdf format from pdfplatesvsite. these 3 sources combined where an excellent low cost alternative.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Thanks for the suggestions. I thouight Foreflight is free as there is no mention of paying anything on here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/foreflight-mobile-3/id333252638?mt=8

Avliasoft's EFB looks excellent but unfortuntely I already have FSCommander and it would seem a waste having paid for that to pay for something similar.

I mainly do IFR flights but would love to learn VFR so I might get AirTrack which looks like it can do both well (apart from 3D and terrian maps).

I fly around the mainly in Europe, Asia and USA so would need something suitable for all.

gave up on Airtrack as the ipad app cannot connect :nea: i turned off my firewall and av.

If you use XP10 and you are also a real world pilot that uses ForeFlight, you can use ForeFlight. It integrates with XP10 perfectly.

Look at IGMAPHD. It works well with FSX, P3D, and X-Plane 10. X-Plane 10 with the beta 64 bit does not work out of the box, but there are fixes and it works fine after a little code changing.

John

John Wingold