Sign in to follow this  
dighost

Delidding gone wrong..

My one day old 3770k is dead. I purchased the cpu, got it home and proceeded to "delid" it as per the many instructions here on the website and on Youtube. I used to be an A&P tech at an airline and have always been careful and deliberate with repairs-- from fixing the lawn mower to my computers. So I didn't just tear at the cpu like a hack..

The process was as follows. First I used a grounding strap on myself, then marked ultra thin razor blades so they would only go in just enough to penetrate the adhesive. I slowly started on each corner, then the sides. With the lid easily removed I noticed a nick near one of the top corners... and by nick it was the size of a pin head and no deeper than a small surface scratch. Nothing bad enough to make me worry, so I just sealed it to make sure it wouldn't ground on the lid by chance. Got the computer build done and went to boot...and nothing-- just the sound of the system fans. I suddenly got this bad feeling in my stomach and hoped that maybe it was a memory chip or even a bent pin on the motherboard. Still no go. I popped in my "old" i7 2600 and it booted right away. That confirmed it all.

So I won't advise anyone not to delid because there are benefits, but make sure you know that even when you are careful and follow directions, at the end of the day it's still a gamble.

post. I examined the razor blade and although you can barely see it, there was a super small "crook" on the edge that likely caused the nick.

My one day old 3770k is dead.

Man, very sorry to hear that. I'm an A&P too (worked in GA)... and I was ultra-careful during the de-lid. Thing was, I think I got a bit careless during the scraping off of the gasket material. My cpu still worked but only was able to use single channel mode for the memory.

Told the wife my sob story (sad face and all)... she was like, "you can order another one but DON'T do anything too it" :Big Grin:

(Bimmer feel free to give me grief now :LMAO:)

I admire the people who do this delidding stuff but I don't have the nuts to do it... especially when I can only get a new PC every 3-4 years....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Granted I'm an idiot for plugging in the USB front panel connectors in the wrong polarity to my mobo and shorting them out when using an external HDD for the first time with my old build.... :ph34r:

Turned that external hdd into an internal hdd real quick LOL! And learned to buy a freeking mobo that has bigger than those stupid 1mm connectors for front panel, speaker, hdd lights etc...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have a hard time understanding why Intel engineers did what they did here. Is this because total heat content w/ IB is actually matched to cooling needs, i.e., the high 'temps' you see do not translate to 'heat content'. That is one theoretical explanation. Another is that they needed to artificially restrict its performance so they could role out more performance w/ less development effort for future releases like Haswell. Perhaps Haswell will really be IB w/ some new microarchitecture PLUS superior thermal interface so that delidding no longer is necessary. IOW, I can't see how this was not by design. They are engineers extraordinaire!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with de-lidding. I'm curious as to the location and size of the scratch, also what you chose to seal it with. My first de-lid job (my own 3770k) has some scratches on it which are quite noticeable but I left them alone and have no problems with my chip. I'm inclined to think your sealant may be the culprit here, remember, everything under the package's top layer conducts electricity so if you interrupt that flow in the slightest you could be shorting out your chip.

All that being said, in my experience systems with dead CPUs won't even power on so I would be double and triple checking my configuration were I you. I understand your 2600k works fine, maybe it's not a "dead CPU" but rather one that is simply inhibited in some way. Did you check the pin pads on the bottom of the CPU for any foreign substance such as thermal interface material or your sealant? Worth doing IMHO, I've seen it happen many times.

Good luck, I hope you haven't lost a chip!

Man, very sorry to hear that. I'm an A&P too (worked in GA)... and I was ultra-care during the de-lid. Thing was, I think I got a bit careless during the scraping off of the gasket material. My cpu still worked but only was able to use single channel mode for the memory.

Told the wife my sob story (sad face and all)... she was like, "you can order another one but DON'T do anything too it" :Big Grin:

(Bimmer feel free to give me grief now :LMAO:)

And you bought another Ivy just to run it in dual-channel mode ?

They are engineers extraordinaire!

That's why they fail on simple things :P

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

That's why they fail on simple things

Quaint thought, but I don't think so ;o) This image serendipitously illustrates the argument for heat content versus temp. I say serendipitously because the two colored objects aren't a bad representation of SB v IB! With all of the clamor over IBs prodigious peak operating temperatures I wonder if there has been much evidence that these temps constrain performance as much as people might assume is the case, ie their heat content may be quite comparable in the end.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Thanks for the sympathy guys! I went and picked up another chip this morning and it is working just fine. And yes, it is lidded. Lesson learned!!

TechguyMaxC-- the nick is super small about the size of a pin ###### and is located near the outer top corner of the chip.

Quaint thought, but I don't think so ;o) This image serendipitously illustrates the argument for heat content versus temp. I say serendipitously because the two colored objects aren't a bad representation of SB v IB! With all of the clamor over IBs prodigious peak operating temperatures I wonder if there has been much evidence that these temps constrain performance as much as people might assume is the case, ie their heat content may be quite comparable in the end.

Ivy Bridge's thermal density "problem" is a myth which has already been busted, by way of the very procedure outlined in this thread. The problem lies solely in Intel's choice of thermal transfer material between the CPU core and the IHS. Temperatures on de-lidded Ivy Bridges are comparable to equivalently configured Sandy Bridges.

Thanks for the sympathy guys! I went and picked up another chip this morning and it is working just fine. And yes, it is lidded. Lesson learned!!

TechguyMaxC-- the nick is super small about the size of a pin ###### and is located near the outer top corner of the chip.

Mind taking a pic? What did you use to seal it?

And you bought another Ivy just to run it in dual-channel mode ?

Yep... my shorts got all bunched up and nothing else to do...

Besides... I have everything at this point in reserve parts save a motherboard for another ivy build.

My thinking a little warped too after having purchased (for past builds) two AMD 285s ($1100 ea.) and two intel 9775s ($1600 ea.).

I went and picked up another chip this morning and it is working just fine. And yes, it is lidded. Lesson learned!!

Yeah... "fun" to do one... but too scared to join some of those nuts that have ruined two... (let me find that link...)

My first de-lid job (my own 3770k) has some scratches

You know... now that I think about it... would have been a decent idea to get a cheap(er) ivy ($50) and practice on that one first.