Sign in to follow this  
macpilot

KingAir C90B Auto Pilot

Hi Tom

Yes I have the autopilot between the seats, seems strange this.

If you could send me an alternate version for testing that would be great.

Simon...I don't think that light is the taxi light. It's the inside cabin overhead light that is "shining through" since x-plane doesn't cast shadows for these types of lights. I think if you turn on your taxi/landing light switches, you'll see normal lighting in front of the aircraft. As far as "this light" goes...I have set it to not shine "so far"...which makes the cockpit bit darker, but doesn't light up the ground either. In the test file I sent you, you should see this.

Tom K

Many thanks for all this Tom.

I will let you know how it goes with the test file

Hi Tom

I have managed to do a bit of testing of the file, and I am now not getting any light spill from the taxi light.

This isn't a problem to me as such, because I just turn one or both of the landing lights on, and they are both fine. I just know you are very particular about getting these small details right, which is to all our benefit.

I do also find the nosewheel seems to turn too quickly and too far, but this is something I usually change myself in PM(for most models), as it is impossible, in my opinion to get this right for all users given all the different control hardware we use.

Otherwise the flight model feels really good, and it is excellent to see the default aircraft being improved on.

Good morning Tom K......

Thank you for taking care of everything we talked about. I just flew the King C-90 yesterday and realized everything you had done, however I just also realized that we have 'LOST' the functionality of VNAV. Autopilot appears to be working properly with the exception of VNAV. It use to work very nicely and followed what ever altitude you had dialed in on the FMS... not any more. It won't turn on. Would you mind checking into this please?

Also, I 'think' it was John who commented to me regarding the HUD brightness control within X-Plane. I will check into that John, thank you for your input.

You all have a wonderful weekend.

Ron B. KENW

Simon, I'm not sure what exactly to tell you on your issue. I'll dig around a bit more.

Ron....never paid attention to VNAV, never even tried it. The real 90B doesn't come with an FMS of course, only has basic altitude capture and hold mode and I am probably going to remove the FMS to be a bit more accurate as I think my implementing some autopilot functionality might have rendered some of the FMS inoperative. It was a "panel filler" early on. I will check the altitude hold and capture modes to match the real autopilot though.

Tom K

That is fine Tom.

As I say it's not really a major issue, I just have one of the landing lights switched on for taxi-ing.

I mentioned the nosewheel steering, because I used to work in ground operations for a aircraft management company and we managed a KingAir 350. When it arrived back at out base airport at the end of the day we would need to manouevre it back into the hangar with a tug and there were two marks on the nose gear strut that you we not allowed to turn beyond, it had a really large turning circle. We would always need to turn it through 180 degrees and it would be about a nine-point turn. I am not sure how the C90 compares with this, but I always adjust this in PM myself so not an issue.

I say again, many thanks for taking the time to answer and try to accommodate all the users requests/questions.

AHhhhh.... Tom, please don't take the FMS out. I realize the King C-90 never really had one, but I was getting use to programming it and having VNAV capture the altitude and fly it. The vertical speed works great, the 'Arm & altitude capture' works fine. :mellow:

Do what you have to do..... I will still love flying it! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Ron

Tom,

I wrote this on a new post, but it is not getting much attention. Have you noticed the following?

I am routinely flying the King Air C90 which has been updated and is my favorite XPX aircraft.

I have noticed that If I fly a flight with auto pilot and land, everything works fine. If I leave the same airport and fly an approach or do anything else with autopilot, it will not work. It may seem to work, but shortly after engaging, it will turn off (with warnings) and do crazy things. By crazy things I mean that it will not follow the headings or altitude which I have programmed into the system.

It is almost as if I have not cleared the previous settings. Maybe I haven't, but I have turned everything in the autopilot system off and back on again.

Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, is this normal or not? I can quit completely, restart XPX and continue on.

My quick flights have been to leave KROA, fly 120 degrees at 3900 feet until under GS, turn to 240 degrees with APPR set, allow it intercept RW33 at 109.70 and land, then reset for another exact same flight. No luck.

Any observations (helpful) will be appreciated.

John

John Wingold

I'll give it a try as soon as I can John. I'm travelling and dealing with some family things at the moment.

TomK

Well John,

today I tested with a few flights between LPBJ, LPCS, LPST and LPPT, always setting the FMS, following the route, landing and taking off and again engaging the AP, without a single glitch.

Might it be some button you configured in your controller and you aren't aware of? It might be disengaging the AP or doing some other sort of unexpected action(?)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thanks Tom. I hope everything is ok.

jcomm,

Could be. I am somewhat of a novice in navaids. I have flown simulators for years by VFR and have only recently, within the last year or so, gone into trying to understand navaids. I have, upon finishing a flight, reset all bugs, switches, etc. and could be overlooking something. I will study the situation some more and try to see the errors in my way. Thanks for your efforts in trying to replicate my problem. After all you have done, I feel certain it is just me. I need to recheck all my stuff and figure this thing out.

Thanks to both of you.

John

John Wingold

I would record a video, but I still have to learn how to do it the best way... Anyway I'll try it later!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hello John, I just finished flying the King C-90 at KROA following your description on the route you fly (hand flying it but allowing the Autopilot to fly the approach). I had my ILS Rwy 33 (34 now) set up using 109.7 for the Localizer. I flew it in its entirety, landed, taxied back and reconfigured the aircraft for takeoff. I set up the FMS to fly to MONAT Intersection - Direct to WOTUP Intersection allowing the autopilot to intercept the localizer and glideslope. Every thing worked fine. Sounds like your autopilot either disengaged on you (either by hitting an incorrect button or turbulence could also play into the disengagement of your autopilot) Just double check every thing.... It should work no matter how many times you decide to fly the approach. I am a retired Instrument Flight Instructor and if I can be of any help let me know.

Ron

Ron,

I appreciate your efforts and am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I flew briefly last night and had no problems with the second flight. It has to be me. Now, all I have to figure out is what I did differently.

John

John Wingold