Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Windows 8- how to get to Multi Boot screen?

I have just installed Windows 8 Pro (64), and used the "Custom" option so that I could select another partition on my HD that I had created especially for this install. I have read some articles that explain how to do this, and it appeared to be rather simple- install to separate drive/partition then after the install is done I could get the multi-boot menu if my original OS was Windows 7 (which it is).

The Windows 8 installation went well, however now that I am done with the install, when I re-start the PC it goes directly into Windows 8 without the multi-boot menu. How do I get to the multi-boot menu? Is there some key combination required to do this, maybe? (although I don't see that in the articles I am reading).

Edit: I can see my old Windows 7 drive from Windows 8, so that has not been over-written. I just want to know how to boot to it.... Thanks, Bruce.

Thanks for any help. Bruce.

Solution was to use EasyBCD (freeware), thanks to the Eight forums.

Thanks, Bruce.

I can't speak for Windows 8 - Having not yet tried to dual boot this one. However it always used to be the way that if the old operating system was still in-situ - then the newer version of Windows would register that a previous install is in place and put it as a boot option. Sounds like a pain if this is no longer the case but I suppose easy to work around..

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

I have installed the Window 8 and window 7 but it running smoothly and give me the options to select either of the two windows , but I do not select the window 7 window automatically go with window 8 . The same process I followed shrink the drive-then install that window 8 in the specific drive and reboot the system and it showed me the both options.

Thanks for the replies. I'm still not sure what happened, however I have learnt that when installing a new OS you need to make sure that other drives are not active / connected, otherwise the boot loader can get confused, obviously. At least I have found and now used EasyBCD, which is like magic when it comes to resetting a boot sector on a disk. I do now have both Win 7 and Win 8 working, and can boot to either, so now starting the process of optimizing Win 8 for a new FSX install... finding my way around a new OS is now the biggest challenge, which is good!...

Thanks, Bruce.

In my case, I installed on a separate, clean HDD and it automatically detected my dual boot on the old drive (XP and Vista) and replaced the legacy bootloader.

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9100

Thanks Matthew- these boot-loader issues are frustrating, but I seem to have it working OK now after I used EasyBCD.

Thanks- glad you got everything working easily. Bruce.