Sign in to follow this  
JimBeamBlack

New to X-Plane 10 Hat switch look around controls question

Hello all,

I have looked around the internet and I cannot for the life of me find a simple answer to the question, How do I make my hat switch work in X-Plane 10 to be able to pan around the 3-D cockpit?

I have a Thrusmaster T Flight HOTAS X joystick and the hat switch works fully with FSX and all my other flight sims, but I cannot get it to work well with X-Plane 10.

Is there a specific setting I can use to make the hat switch just pan around?

thanks for any help, and sorry to be any bother,

RC

Rob Comfort

Hi, JimBeamBlack,

I'm sort of a newbie to X-Plane myself, and I used to go crazy trying to get my hat switch to work. First you must set up your hat switch commands under your control setup page, but even if you do that it won't work until you press SHIFT 9. You must do this everytime you start up X-Plane (i.e, hit SHIFT 9). If you are using Track IR, you will not be able to use the hat switch while inside the cockpit, as far as I've been able to determine.

If I don't have ther details quite right, please, you veteran X-Plane users, chime in here.

Best of luck,

Tom

Tom,

You are correct about TrackIR and about the control setup page. I have not, however, had to press F9. To expound, you RC, should - while on the control setup page- move the switch to the left or right and the choose the "pan left or right" command from the selections in the far right hand column.

John

John Wingold

Shift 9?, Thanks Murf I'll give that a shot.

I don't really see any "hat switch" specific commands but at the moment I'm trying every setting under General in the advanced buttons section, I tried all the ones under view and they must not be what I'm looking for.

I tried importing/converting FlyTampa TIA into the sim a little while ago...lol what a mess

this is going to be a steep learing curve for me.

thanks again Sir! enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Tom,

You are correct about TrackIR and about the control setup page. I have not, however, had to press F9. To expound, you RC, should - while on the control setup page- move the switch to the left or right and the choose the "pan left or right" command from the selections in the far right hand column.

John

Ahh, I didn't see those commands, on the control setup page you say? I must have overlooked them, I'll take another look, thanks John.

Rob Comfort

Great that you asked this. I'm new to Xplane 10 as well and I had the exact same question. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. I bet we're not the only ones. Laminar should take note of these kind of things and make them much clearer (though in fairness I'm having similar problems with my joystick throttle not working in DSC World). I wonder how many people try the demo and give up trying to set up stuff like this. It'd be a great shame because as I am discovering, it is the simulation with the most promise!

Ok Steve what John said works!! the settings for General Pan left and General Pan right are on the FAR right of the main buttons page, and for up and down use tilt up and tilt down right there in the same section, the left corner and right corner (both up and down) sections do not have settings (that I can see) so I just used left and right respectively for all 4 of those slots on the hat switch.

Also when you get back into the sim make SURE that it’s set to 3D cockpit view, I think this is what the Shift 9 is for that Tom talked about. ALSO you can set Fast Left and Fast Right in the advanced section to speed up the pan left pan right.

I just flew out and quick around the Tampa Bay and made a PERFECT landing on runway 1R in my Baron B58!! Except there was a jet on the runway…lol..but I missed it.

BIG Thanks to Tom and John, this was driving me crazy earlier.

And Steve if you can’t get it post back and I’ll see if I can help ya out, I’m gonna go do another test flight!!

Rob Comfort

The setup page I referred to is the General (I think) page. Not the advanced one.

John

John Wingold

yes John you are correct it's on the General (or standard) buttons page.

say, is there any good accurate terrain software for this sim?

thanks again Sir.

Rob Comfort

To devs of X-Plane 10, you guys need to make it easier for folks to set up things like this

JimBeamBlack,

I use the standard scenery and, except for the lack of airport scenery, find it to be close enough. None of it has been perfect in any of the sims I have used over the years and you just have to accept that. It beats the scenery I started with,(just a bunch of lines and gauges), all to pieces. I have tried x-plane many times, starting with 5, and 10 is the first one I have stuck with more than a month or two. In my opinion, this version shows that these guys are serious about what they are doing. There was a big adjustment from FSX and I have P3D and though the latter shows some effort toward refinement, I see steady (almost weekly) improvement (at least an effort toward improvement) which keeps me coming back to X-plane more and more. X-Plane has a lot of hidden secrets lurking in all those settings. It is just not very intuitive in helping you find them.

John

John Wingold

The really bad thing with XP10 is that if you configure your hatswitch to pan around the VC, once you get out of the plane (spot view which is called Circle) you just pan around yourself instead of the plane and this is really bad that the software does not recognize the situation and adapt the pan function like it did in XP9 or FSX or any other games..... then you have to use the keyboard arrow to pan around the aircrfat which is not that convenient...

too much, too soon....

The really bad thing with XP10 is that if you configure your hatswitch to pan around the VC, once you get out of the plane (spot view which is called Circle) you just pan around yourself instead of the plane and this is really bad that the software does not recognize the situation and adapt the pan function like it did in XP9 or FSX or any other games..... then you have to use the keyboard arrow to pan around the aircrfat which is not that convenient...

The really bad thing about a Toyota Camry is that the headlight switch is the same as the windshield wiper switch on my Taurus. So when I recently rented a Camry and tried to turn on the wipers in during an evening rain shower, I turned off my headlights. I then had to find the switch on the right side of the steering column in order to operate the wipers, which was not that convenient...

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

The really bad thing about a Toyota Camry is that the headlight switch is the same as the windshield wiper switch on my Taurus. So when I recently rented a Camry and tried to turn on the wipers in during an evening rain shower, I turned off my headlights. I then had to find the switch on the right side of the steering column in order to operate the wipers, which was not that convenient...

As far as it concerns your car, you'd better get a Lexus.. Now, I am sorry to say that your sarcastic comment is not relevant.... because the "normal" hat switch pan function WAS there in X-Plane 9 like it is in FSX, or in Aerofly FS..... and that LR decided a wrong move by changing it in XP10.

too much, too soon....

Perhaps, but just as I got used to the switch placement in the car, I got used to the view commands in X-Plane 10. Now it's intuitive. Sounds like PEBKAC to me.

Incidentally, Lexuses are garbage,

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

That's the really bad thing?

Wouldn't it have been easier to ask "Is there a way to use the hat switch for panning around the aircraft and exterior?"