Sign in to follow this  
Redeye1

saving .rcd files

I recently purchased RCV4 and while I really like the program, I'm experiencing problems reference topic title. I've searched this forum but have just ended up more confused as to what to do. Problem is when I use the " ; " key to save files it names the .flt and .wx files wth the name I choose but not the .rcd file. When I save the file using "control-shift-;" it saves the .rcd file but won't pull up the FS box enabling me to name the files. I am running autosave.dll and understand that there may be conflict. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mike

Check the keyboard assignments in RC for SAVE RC State. As delivered it did not match the instructions.

Other than that, I'm not sure.

Do you want interval saved flights or just one. Read the autosave.txt in the 1.5.0.1 download zip.

Remember autosave does not normally work when you are on the ground.

I never used it in that fashion with naming the file.

FYI, I tried a flight (tutorial 3) and flew this time with an MS acft instead of a Dreamfleet or IFly and the

.rcd file was saved with the name I gave it. This was using the " ; " command as instructed in the tutorial. I will keep experimenting however, because I also disabled autosave.dll. I do suspect the .dll file was the culprit however. Thanks Ronzie for your reply.

Mike

As long as the key strokes are not captured by a model or other app, there should not be a problem with using the RC menu for saving flights.

Try your Dreamfleet and IFly models without autosave.dll loaded.

autosave is mostly intended to restart a flight in case of an FS or PC crash by saving situations at intervals. Most crashes occur nearing destination so if you are on a long flight it does not have to be repeated. Note that however in autosave's many parameters you can choose to assign a default name and not just a timestamp by editing its .cfg file. It is not intended for FS accelerated time flying nor will work properly causing unintended consequences.

If you make a habit of manually saving flights (without autosave running) a few times on a long flight you should be OK. RC's main purpose is to start a flight at a particular stage for training. Note that under FS itself, not all aircraft will load properly especially regarding the state of the engines, controls, and systems, that deviate from the FS developer standards (SDK) such as many complex models.

PMDG models (except the "lite versions") are one example.

Can some one please tell me what is the exact file location to save an .RCD file with RC 4 In FSX.

I am able to do saves with RC, but when I go the Load prev saved .RCDs it opens the " Name My Doc Flt Sim X File folder" When I select an RCD file to load and click on the Load Prev Saved Button again it starts to load the saved file but gets to 1 Bar and hangs up.

I do launch FSX first and then start Radar Contact as per the RC manual.

Why am I not able to load a saved file with the Load .RCDs button, I only see saved RC files and not any of the other saves I made with the FSX save menu in the folder, Is this normal.

Any help appreciated.

ress

You save .rcd files in your flight plan folder which holds .pln, .wx, and .flt types. When loading an .rcd in RC only the .rcds will be listed as the others are expected in the same folder and must have the same file name with only the extension different.

I would check first the keyboard assignment in RC. When you save an .rcd file it will also save the .wx and .flt files. Using the FS Flight save key (;) or menu lets you name the saved flight. Using ctrl-sht-; will save the flight with an automatic name based on:

"If you choose the RC key, the filename will appear to be cryptic, but is meaningful if you realize the first 3 digits are the day of the year, the next 5 digits are the seconds past midnight, followed by the flight plan name, then a number representing the controller (3-Clearance, 4-Ground, 5-Tower, 6-Departure, 7-Center, 9-Approach, etc.), then a dollar sign, followed by the number of times you have saved a flight in this controllers space."

In the flight plan folder look for the three files with the same name but different extensions.

If the file will not completely load I suspect something has changed that does not match the elements required that were stored in the three state files. Also be sure you allow enough time for all of the elements to load just as if you were loading an FS saved flight. Everything is refreshed.

If you still have a problem in RC click the debug button before starting to load the rcd. When it fails click the quit button in RC and then send the log to jd as outlined in the pinned log topic at the head of this forum.

Are there any error messages possibly hiding under all of your open windows? alt-tab should bring them forward.