Sign in to follow this  
VOR_Active

airplane tends to turn continuously

Hello,

as the title says, during taxing, climbing and cruising, the airplane always tends to turn to the left slowly. When i turn it to the right for a level flight, then again slowly turns to the left. I don't have this problem with my other addon airplanes.

Any suggesions?

Thank you in advance

It sounds like a controller calibration problem to me.

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

Hello Syd,

I have a joystick and i calibrated with the same results. It is a beautiful airplane but this strange soft turning is really annoying.

I don't have the plane, but is it possible that you are experiencing the torque effect of a clockwise running propeller? The flight model may reflect this.

If it would happen with every plane, I'd agree with Syd though.

You can also assign a Centre aileron trim function to a joystick button.

I did it and I use it a lot, by that you can always make sure that it's not the trim accidentally of centre.

Also you can add extra aileron trim to other buttons on your stick, so that you can compensate prop torque or asymmetrical wing loads

If you go to "Options -->Settings -->Controls" in the bar on top of your screen

Then to the tab "Buttons/Keys" and select your joystick from "Controller type"

Select "Control Surfaces" from "Event category"

Somewhere on top you will find the option "Aileron trim (centre)"

Select it and press the desired button on your joystick, it is kinda self explanetory .

good luck

Well, latest news!

With my PMDG 737NGX and MD-11 all is fine. Centered on the RWY and here you go. I tried the FSX default Cessna Skyhawk and it does the same like the Skylane. Slowly slowly banks to the left.

You can also assign a Centre aileron trim function to a joystick button

Ralph, I will give it a try

Thank you all

Make sure both aileron and rudder trim are centered. Both will cause the effect in flight. It's possible your default flight has a trim off center, which happened to me once.

Some left turning tendency is normal in high power and high angle of attack as during a climb, so use right rudder to compensate. If you're getting left turning in level flight, make sure your power is set to recommended cruise levels. Also, check your loading; a heavy pilot flying alone will cause an imbalanced load. Add a passenger of the same weight. I often use unbalanced fuel loads to compensate, add a bit more fuel to the right tank, perhaps a gallon or two but you'll need to test it.

Left turning while taxiing can be caused by too high power or taxiing too fast with a crosswind from the left. If the default C172 turns left with weather theme set to Clear (which has no wind) and you're keeping your taxi speed to 12 knots (check the GPS ground speed), then you have a control problem. Make sure your controls are calibrated, and if you're using something that calibrates controls by individual aircraft, make sure it's calibrated properly for the aircraft you're using. Since this can also be caused by brake drag, be sure to calibrate your toe brakes as well if you have pedals.

Let us know how it turns out.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Make sure both aileron and rudder trim are centered. Both will cause the effect in flight. It's possible your default flight has a trim off center, which happened to me once.

Hello Larry,

before take off all look centered but in case that my default flight has a trim off center is there a possibility to change that?

before take off all look centered but in case that my default flight has a trim off center is there a possibility to change that?

If they look centered, they probably are. The mouse-over tooltip should tell you for certain.

You can check your default flight directly by looking in My Dociments/Flight Simulator X Files for the saved flight you use as default. There will be a file with a .FLT extension. Open it with Notepad (easy way is to open a blank Notepad and drag the file to the open Notepad window), and look for the following lines, make sure they're set as below:

ElevatorTrim=050.00

RudderTrimPct=0

AileronTrimPct=0

You can change all sorts of things in this file, just make a backup first in case something goes wrong.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Ummm...

Fuel tanks?

Skyhawk and Skylane, If one tank is lower Ie: Right low tank it would bank to the left?

Just a thought...I had saved a default 172 with unbalanced fuel once, it took me a while to realise what was wrong.

Hello,

If they look centered, they probably are. The mouse-over tooltip should tell you for certain

Yes, they are centered and i put the cursor on it and it shows 0.

You can check your default flight directly by looking in My Dociments/Flight Simulator X Files for the saved flight you use as default. There will be a file with a .FLT extension

I checked it but there is no file with .FLT extension only .CFG, .WX, and .BIN files. I don't save any flights, I always start with the FSX default and then I carry on by choosing the aircraft and the place.

I don't know, this is a fantastic GA airplane but this strange instability on the ground and in the air is really very annoying.

BTW, how can I alter the front view and put it a bit higher? When taxing or taking off it is difficult to see the RWY or TXY because the front panel is blocking a little my front view. I zoom in and zoom out but with no result.

There are P-factor and torque sliders in the FSX general settings. I keep them dialed back--if set higher than ~50% the effects are exaggerated. Jets would not be affected by these settings.

My guess is that's what you're seeing.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hello Bob,

There are P-factor and torque sliders in the FSX general settings. I keep them dialed back--if set higher than ~50% the effects are exaggerated. Jets would not be affected by these settings

That means everytime I fly different airplane I have to go to the settings and change them?

BTW, how can I alter the front view and put it a bit higher? When taxing or taking off it is difficult to see the RWY or TXY because the front panel is blocking a little my front view.

Combinations of the control and shift keys with Enter and Backspace will move your eyepoint around. I have to experiment each time to figure out what combination does what. One of the combinations is control+shift+Enter or Backspace.

I've edited the default eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg file for a few aircraft, but that doesn't seem to be what you want, just a temporary elevation so you can see over the panel.

As for the torque and p-factor sliders, set them to zero and see if you have the same problem. If you do, then it's your controls. I've got mine all the way up on all my planes without problems. If other aircraft aren't having the left turning problems, then you would only need to lower those sliders when flying that aircraft if that's the problem.

Hook

Larry Hookins

That means everytime I fly different airplane I have to go to the settings and change them?

Probably not. Since jets are unaffected by those settings, you find something that works for props and leave it there.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case