Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

This is important, and we could use your help...

Captains-

We work very hard to keep this forum relatively free from intrusion by the "real" world. We do this by keeping discussion light, focusing on our products specifically, aviation and airlines generally, and tightly restricting conversation related to such things that might create conflict, such as politics. (Imagine how hard that would be if one of the forum moderators decided to run for office. :ph34r:)

Only on very rare occasions will we break with our normal S.O.P. and today is going to be one of those rare occasions.

Last week PMDG was approached by PC Pilot Magazine, and asked if we would please sponsor their efforts to raise money in support of one of their own. Now, please understand that PMDG receives a half dozen requests to sponsor, promote or support various individuals, events or functions each week... For the most part, if the event doesn't stand out or the organization isn't well known to us we reply with a polite form email to decline.

But the request from PC Pilot had a very different spin to it. They were asking us to help them to help one of their own.

Like many of us, I recall reading in passing that one of their contributors, Tony Radmilovich suffered a very serious back injury- requiring surgery to repair.

Like many of us, I cringed at the idea of spinal fusion surgery, and moved along to the rest of the forum...

But there were details I missed- and when approached by PC Pilot, I found myself thinking that perhaps the sometimes loud microphone of PMDG might be able to help. What were those details?

Well- in spite of the fact that nearly everyone in my family is involved in medicine- the bloody details make me queasy- so I'll just summarize the major points for all of us here:

• Tony required surgery to repair a damaged part of his spine. The surgery involved fusing two pieces of bone.
  • Shortly after surgery, whilst being moved, Tony was dropped out of his bed in a manner that may well have created even greater damage.
  • There have been multiple follow-up procedures to try and correct the fact that he is still significantly impaired by pain- but they have yet to succeed.
  • All of this has required Tony to take a significant time away from his work as a self-employed furniture builder- and as such Tony and his wife are having a hard time paying off the bills handed to him by the hospitals and doctors that are in excess of his insurance coverage...
  • Tony is in danger of losing his home, and his business.

Tony is a tough guy- by all rights. But let's add one complicating layer to his situation: Tony's wife is blind- and this just compounds the misfortune because they may be forced to leave an environment in which she is safe, familiar and comfortable...

Tony Radmilovich is in a spot I hope none of us every experience: He needs major surgery to repair his spine so that he can walk without significant pain, and he needs to pay down bills from significant medical expenses that are not being covered by his insurers.

Rather than offer sympathy and hollow support, the folks at PC Pilot decided that they were going to "Do Something." And thus, I'm throwing our lot in to help- and I hope you will join me.

WHAT IT IS:

Community Fundraiser to Help Tony Radmilovich.

WHEN IT IS:

Beginning this Friday, 18JAN12 at 2359Z (1859 EDT/1559 PDT) PC Pilot, PMDG, ORBX, JustFlight, Flight1, AVSim, Addictive Simulations, Buffalo Virtual, United Virtual are hosting a "Tour of North America" flight event to help raise money to benefit Tony.

HOW IT WORKS:

The flight will be flown by pilots from PC Pilot Magazine, Buffalo Virtual, United Virtual and members of the community who join in the activity via VATSIM. (Details for participation in the group flight on VATSim can be found here if you want to fly one of the flights- please get involved!)

HOW CAN I SEE IT?:

The flights will be live-streamed, along with interviews with some of the participants. (I have been invited to interview- we are working on scheduling details- stay tuned...)

You watch the live stream here: LiveStream

WHAT I AM ASKING OF EACH OF YOU:

The goal here is to raise money by creating an event that attracts attention, brings the community some fun, and causes enough of us to take a few moments out of our weekend to recognize that WE CAN HELP ONE OF OUR OWN.

I would like to ask that each of us visit this IndieGoGo link: http://www.indiegogo.com/p/119134

Make a small contribution... Even $1 if you can.

If you can contribute $5... do.

PMDG has made a significant contribution- as has Tom Allensworth of AVSim- just to get things started.

WHAT IS IN IT FOR YOU?:

First and most importantly- the satisfaction of helping one of our own...

Second: PMDG has given PC Pilot four licenses for the full PMDG 737NGX Base Package and 600/700. PC Pilot will be awarding those throughout the day saturday to pilots who participate in the flight.

Third: PMDG has given PC Pilot one license for the upcoming PMDG 777-200X. This license will be awarded to one person who contributes to the fundraising effort via the IndieGoGo link above. This winner **may** even get the 777 before the rest of the world... No promises- but consider that an incentive...

Fourth: The goal for this weekend is to raise $25,000 per the IndieGoGo site. Now you all know that I have the good fortune of being friends with Tom Allensworth- so I am going to commit to you on behalf of "Me 'n Tom" that if this community raises $30,000 before the end of the event 34hrs later on Sunday at 1000Z- Tom and I will sing a duet on stage at the AVSim FanCon'13 Dinner in Wichita...

We will allow the community to choose the song...

And I may even make Tom wear a wig...

Now wouldn't that be worth helping Tony?

I hope you will.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Robert and the entire PMDG team for their amazing support and generosity for this forthcoming event. It means such a lot to us at PC Pilot. Tony is overwhelmed by the level of support he has received. (he is currently in hospital recovering from a further urgent surgery on his spine that took place earlier this week but we are keeping him in the loop)

As Robert mentioned, the event is on VATSIM, all are welcome. The actual flights and timetable can be found here.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/396708-pc-pilot-pmdg-orbx-sponsored-special-event-18-20-jan/

Again, my sincerest thanks to Robert and the PMDG team. It means an awful lot to Tony and the PC Pilot team.

Thank you!

Jane Whittaker

- Jane Whittaker

Hi Robert and Jane, I bow for your help towards a man in need! And I will help with what I can. :-) I hope many people will support this great matter!

737 CL/NG skysurfer

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg2zzdi.jpg

Done!

I know all about backpain & fully understands this mans situation & pain. I will make an contribution! I really hope he will get well very soon!

It was a small donation but I hope it could somewhat help.

I look forward to the event and will definitely try do a flight or two!

Thanks for letting us know Rob.

guys, those of you donating please put your email address into the comments as you make the donation, so we can contact you if you win a prize. If you have already donated or forget, please PM me with your email so we can add you to the prize draw bucket.

If you are uncomfortable with sharing your email details publicly or have an issue, please send me an email at janerachel1 (AT) hotmail.com with your contact details and confirmation of donation. We want to keep track of all of you, Please note this is a temporary hotmail I have just set up for this purpose. Please note than number 1, after the janerachel in the email address.

thank you

Jane

- Jane Whittaker

It's great to see the Flight Sim community coming together, great idea

Joe Park

This comes from my hospital bed a couple of days after surgery to replace the hardware that began this saga. I'm still a bit too medicated and woozy to trust how much sense I might make but the outpourung of support and kind words from those like Capt. Randazzo and the rest of this amazing community have meant more than I or my wife could ever possibly express. I thank every single one of you!

Tony.

Get better Tony!

As a PCPilot subscriber and a PMDG customer this was a no brainer :)

Regards,

Morten

23.png

Tony - best wishes to you! Get well soon. :-)

I had to contribute as the money goes to a very good cause. Well, I want to see Robert and Tom sing Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You, too. So please guys, raise some more money!

Its great to see everybody coming together to help one of their own...

Small donation but I know it will go far! Thanks for letting us know Rob.

Fourth: The goal for this weekend is to raise $25,000 per the IndieGoGo site. Now you all know that I have the good fortune of being friends with Tom Allensworth- so I am going to commit to you on behalf of "Me 'n Tom" that if this community raises $30,000 before the end of the event 34hrs later on Sunday at 1000Z- Tom and I will sing a duet on stage at the AVSim FanCon'13 Dinner in Wichita...

We will allow the community to choose the song...

Say what??? I don't do no singing... let alone wearing a wig. The fancon has just been cancelled. How's that for dodging a bullet???

Seriously... I will back that up. Rob you are on.

All the best Tony , and thanks for the post Rob :)

TEAM AVSIM "Fly Anything" Member     BAW 1193

Boeing777_Banner_TechTeam.jpgBry_zps718b876b.png

Say what??? I don't do no singing... let alone wearing a wig. The fancon has just been cancelled. How's that for dodging a bullet???

Seriously... I will back that up. Rob you are on.

Rob wears his wig every weekend. Have you not seen the family photos? so you should be fine Tom ;)

- Jane Whittaker