Sign in to follow this  
A320FAN

AA New Livery

Love the logo, the tail art, not so much. I actually cringed when I saw the tail.

You're not alone. I opened up Facebook, and the first thing I saw was the new livery. That tail made me softly say oh boy...But this is definitely a big change from their tried and true livery.

i like it....But nothing will ever beat the current :(

Having said that, it would have been better to keep the polished metal for the metal aircraft...

Stunning!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

To me there's a disconnect between the logo (very clean) and the tail (very busy). Of course, I miss the lighting bolt and meatball logo from the mid-1960's...

In some ways, the logo and the overall treatment reminds me of the last Northwest livery.

Speaking of which, if the US Air merger does in fact go through, this will go the way of the final TWA livery, which looked great but didn't live long.

EDIT: for some reason I can't post links to the liveries I mentioned - all the post options are grayed out. Best to Google, I guess... if you have trouble finding them, let me know and I'll try another post later.

Wow, I'm not an American by any means but besides the plane and the airline, the patriotic'ness of the clip really moved me!

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

I'm agreeing with a few...Like the logo....not too keen on the tail.

Maybe it'll take some getting used to. That's understood though seeing that the old logo had been around for a few decades.

That was dissapointing indeed. Looks like they ran out of paint and didn't finnish...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I don't care for the new livery at all. Since AA is an international carrier, the tail makes it look like a blatant advert for the U.S., which is not well received when on international soil. It's as if American has affixed a big "bullsye" on the tail of their aircraft. I am all for waving the flag at home, but not out of my own country with the possible exception of watching an Olympics event overseas. American's livery was one of those timeless ones--I think the money they spent would have been better spent on getting onto a solid financial footing.

John

It's not terrible, although I agree with those who don't like the tail. It just looks too "slapped on there" and unfinished. But, in time I guess people will get used to it, so long as American doesn't enter into a revolving door of liveries period like Delta did.

While I do feel that the old livery was no longer appealing and a new one required, I agree with the points that this new livery is not the best one. It really does have a feel of being a giant target painted on the tail. The front half I like, that tail, is an eyesore.

Something like this I would have preferred, the new front half, but that kept the eagle on the tail:

L-AA1.jpg

Instead of this thing:

AAlivery-640x259.jpg

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Remember American cannot keep the current metallic exterior as newer planes such as the 787 do not have a metallic fuselage.

Rich

Since AA is an international carrier, the tail makes it look like a blatant advert for the U.S., which is not well received when on international soil.

While I don't like their choice of livery, why is it wrong for a US flag carrier to have a facsimile of their national flag on the tail but alright for British Airways or Emirates or any number of other international carriers. I agree with Ronan's take on the choice they should have made.

NAX669.png

While I don't like their choice of livery, why is it wrong for a US flag carrier to have a facsimile of their national flag on the tail but alright for British Airways or Emirates or any number of other international carriers. I agree with Ronan's take on the choice they should have made.

There's just something that looks "over the top" with the way AA chose to display the flag, perhaps because the entire horz. stab is covered plus some of the fuse as well. BA and Emirates do display their flags, but I feel they are more understated.

John