Sign in to follow this  
A320FAN

AA New Livery

There's just something that looks "over the top" with the way AA chose to display the flag, perhaps because the entire horz. stab is covered plus some of the fuse as well. BA and Emirates do display their flags, but I feel they are more understated.

John

I think it's the shininess of the flag that's a bit in your face. Indeed many national airlines have their flags on the tail, BA, Swiss, Alitalia, Aeroflot, Air Malta, Korean, Ethiopian, Saudia, Malev, Air France, Air Canada. Nothing wrong with national colours or symbols on your aircraft, heck we've a giant shamrock painted on our tail, but the tail on the new AA livery just comes across a little brass and bold and a bit of an eyesore.

I think part of it may be the fact that it's only a small part or section of the flag, and if that's the size of that portion, then you get the image of this ginormous flag if you picture the flag in its entirety, which is also a bit overbearing. Other carriers tend to put the whole flag on the tail, or a stylised version of it anyways, not just a small part of it.

Maybe we just need to let it grow on us...

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

looks "over the top" with the way AA chose to display the flag

I agree it looks hideous, but it would look that way no matter what flag they used. A lot of American's employees think the livery looks like a Greyhound bus. Probably fitting, considering what the airline indusrty has become these days.

NAX669.png

I really liked the 1968 logo. It seemed so clean, elegant, and simple. I do not really like how airlines are moving towards friendlier, curvier fonts and logos. While it might seem more inviting to the passenger, I like the sense of professionalism stiffer fonts bring.

My opinion about the actual livery (as described on another thread):

I think this new livery does not make good use of color. The fuselage is largely bland, with exception of the tail, which contrasts excessively and is almost disorganized with so many colored regions, lines, and shapes. I prefer the nicely unified stripes and shiny metal of the old livery.

Especially in gate line-ups, I think the old tail design would look nicer than the rather horizontally linear new one, but I am guessing that I will get used to it, as I have with the new United livery.

Can one of our talented FS painters show us how it should have been done! hehe

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Looks like a colgan air livery!

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Remember American cannot keep the current metallic exterior as newer planes such as the 787 do not have a metallic fuselage.

Rich

That explains a lot. When I worked for AMR, I was told that one of the advantage of not painting the aircrafts was the advantage of saving weight.. Paint weighs a tonne.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I like the logo, I hate the tail. Ugh.

This. The rest is simple and elegant. The tail is kind of jarring mess by comparison. But, we will get used to it.

That's Bad A$$!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

To be honest, I'm just glad they didn't head towards the whole white approach, the amount of airlines that use white as the base color is just sickening!

I think it looks nice, the tail could look amazing if they just tweaked it a little. On the 737, it looks just awful that they didn't even carry the stripes onto the dorsal fin, making the flag look like some sort of triangle, ewww!

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

Wow, I'm not an American by any means but besides the plane and the airline, the patriotic'ness of the clip really moved me!

I am an American and it moved me as well. There are not many airlines still around that were in business in 1968. That's also a long time to go without a change in trade dress. I like it!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

When I first saw the new livery this morning and was not feeling it. I had the opportunity to see it in person and it was pretty nice.

The light gray on the fuselage has a nice "pearl effect" to it.

NewAA_zps5a99cdac.jpg

Can one of our talented FS painters show us how it should have been done! hehe

You already have one above...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I just realised, it looks very similar to the old Cubana livery! Uh oh, I wonder if ther realise?

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

The more I see it the more I like it. The tail is neat, but the logo needs to be reworked. Ick.