Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Questions after trying the latest beta demo

I have tried the latest 64bit beta demo and these questions arise,

I use the CH flight sim yoke and thus have one lever for throttle. If I fly a twin engine I want it to control both engines. How ?

For now it seem that one lever can only control one engine.

I have experienced this with cloud decks. When I reach the bottom everything goes whit outside until I reach the top of the cloud layer. Then is looks like the whole cloud layer is removed and replaced by scattered clouds at the top of the intended cloud layer. Also I have seen the ground visible at a given altitude and then when I descend I suddenly find myself inside a cloud layer that wasn't visible when above it. What issues are these and what can be done about it ?

Have understood things correctly when thinking that all but a few selected airports lacks any kind of building or object except for runways ?

In FSX I have noticed that proximity to big urban areas like for example Seattle is a big performance killer. Can the same be said about X Plane 10 i.e can I expect significant better performance outside big cities ?

Can I display my fps in X Plane and if so how ?

I use the CH flight sim yoke and thus have one lever for throttle. If I fly a twin engine I want it to control both engines. How ?For now it seem that one lever can only control one engine.

In the controller setup area, using "Throttle" will control all engines with one lever.... Set your controller settings such that one lever is for "Throttle 1" and the another is for "Throttle 2"...

When I reach the bottom everything goes whit outside until I reach the top of the cloud layer. Then is looks like the whole cloud layer is removed and replaced by scattered clouds at the top of the intended cloud layer. What issues are these and what can be done about it ?

It's a known limitation with X-Plane... little can be done about it.

Have understood things correctly when thinking that all but a few selected airports lacks any kind of building or object except for runways ?

This is correct. While there is an awful lot of downloadable freeware content, all airports except for Seattle and the European Aerosoft-created airports (In X-Plane Global) are completely flat.

In FSX I have noticed that proximity to big urban areas like for example Seattle is a big performance killer. Can the same be said about X Plane 10 i.e can I expect significant better performance outside big cities?

Seattle can be considered a big-city in X-Plane - the performance and appearance of Seattle will be parallel to your performance in other larger metro areas. You can also fly outside of Seattle for a more rural performance experience. Your performance experience will depend largely on your computer and the settings you've chosen to run at. Personally, I don't see too much difference in performance between urban areas and the countryside, but that's just my system.

Can I display my fps in X Plane and if so how ?

Settings > Data Input/Output > Check off the rightmost box next to "Frame Rate". Uncheck to remove the framerate display.

When I reach the bottom everything goes whit outside until I reach the top of the cloud layer. Then is looks like the whole cloud layer is removed and replaced by scattered clouds at the top of the intended cloud layer. What issues are these and what can be done about it ?

It's a known limitation with X-Plane... little can be done about it.

That was a sad thing to hear. It's a glaring flaw. I think FSX + OpusFSX makes a better job here. Does this meant that it won't be rectified in upcoming XP 10.X versions ?

This is correct. While there is an awful lot of downloadable freeware content, all airports except for Seattle and the European Aerosoft-created airports (In X-Plane Global) are completely flat.

Which are these airports ? Do I understand things correct that they are included in XPX out of the box ?

Personally, I don't see too much difference in performance between urban areas and the countryside, but that's just my system.

And what is your system ? I experience noticable difference in FSX close to big cities like for example Seattle or New York.

That was a sad thing to hear. It's a glaring flaw. I think FSX + OpusFSX makes a better job here. Does this meant that it won't be rectified in upcoming XP 10.X versions ?

It might be, but there's no official word that it can be or will be repaired. The best we have is that they know about it.

Which are these airports ? Do I understand things correct that they are included in XPX out of the box ?

If they're not contained in the box itself (which depends on the age of the DVD's they send), X-Plane would download them for you free and automatically as part of the standard online update process.

I never fly in Europe, but the airport list is:

Brussels, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Cologne, Munich, Stuttgart, Berlin Tegel, Hannover, Paderborn-Lippstadt, Birmingham, London Gatwick, Heathrow, Glasgow, London Stansted, Dublin, Barcelona, Madrid, Nice, Paris, Faro, Genf

I can't speak to the quality of any of those airports, as I've never visited them in XP10. Some are probably more well done than others.

And what is your system ? I experience noticeable difference in FSX close to big cities like for example Seattle or New York.

I tend not to provide my exact specs online, but for what it's worth, my "Windows Experience Index" clocks in at 7.7 processor, 7.9 graphics and memory... (the max rating is 7.9)

It might be, but there's no official word that it can be or will be repaired. The best we have is that they know about it.

Well, I think one of the main problems there is: It doesn't always happen this way. At other times it works perfectly. It depends on the current weather and the machine settings. So it isn't a simple bug but more a question of general improvements in the cloud handling.