Sign in to follow this  
serviceceiling

New winglets for the 737NG

Just came across this article http://worldairlinen...imitar-winglet/

I think they look great and unique and since they are economic too they'll sell pretty good. I would like to know how efficient they are compared to the current 737NG winglets.

I hope PMDG is going to include those new winglet types in a future Service Pack.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those winglets similar to what will be on the 737 MAX?

Actually they're a little different if you compare photos. The Split Scimitar Winglets will be available as a third party option by Aviation Partners Inc. for airlines to upgrade their existing NG generation 737s. If you look closely they have a little more "dramatic flair" than the MAX ones. I tend to prefer the simpler design of the MAX winglets but they're both pretty cool looking.

I remember reading about the new wingtips of the B737 MAX and thinking how interesting it is that Airbus is moving from wingtip fences to B737-style Sharklets on the A320 while Boeing is moving from blended winglets to A320-style wingtips on the B737.

I remember reading about the new wingtips of the B737 MAX and thinking how interesting it is that Airbus is moving from wingtip fences to B737-style Sharklets on the A320 while Boeing is moving from blended winglets to A320-style wingtips on the B737.

I agree on the fact that the development process of these two manifacturfers is interesting but bear in mind that there is a very wide difference betweet Airbus style.wingtip fences and the Boeing scimitar wingtips with ventral fins

I agree on the fact that the development process of these two manifacturfers is interesting but bear in mind that there is a very wide difference betweet Airbus style.wingtip fences and the Boeing scimitar wingtips with ventral fins

I agree. While the subtleties and technical details of Airbus and Boeing's variations on wingtip devices for the A320 and B737 are very different, all variations seem to fit under the general categories of blended winglets and wingtip fences.

The direction Boeing is going with the 737 wingtip devices is MUCH better to compare to the MD-11 than Airbus style.

More drag reduction. So, even more difficult to slow down to 250 below 10000! :rolleyes:

Iain Smith

Nobody answered the question if a livery or some sort of an update that can make scimitar winglets available on PMDG ngx aircrafts? 

Nobody answered the question if a livery or some sort of an update that can make scimitar winglets available on PMDG ngx aircrafts? 

No need to dredge up old topics like this.  In any case, it's been answered (in a newer thread, too):

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/413703-split-scimitar-winglet-modeling-on-the-ngx/

Kyle Rodgers