Sign in to follow this  
captain420

how to free look in virtual cockpit or outside of plane?

I am new to FSX so I'm trying to figure out all the controls. Coming from X-Plane on a Mac I am still use to how things run from that side of the fence. One thing I love about X-Plane is the free look view with the mouse. You can use it to free look anywhere, either inside the cockpit or outside, etc. Is there an equivalent way to do this on FSX?

I think I'm close. For my setup I am using an Xbox 360 controller to fly the plane, but I want to use the mouse solely for free look. Is this possible? I am noticing when using free look by holding down the spacebar and moving my mouse it works good. Almost like X-Plane, but after awhile my view gets reset. I'm not sure why it's doing that. And it moves pretty fast, a little too quick. For example I will be holding the space bar and then moving my mouse to look freely around the cockpit, and when I am holding still, it will reset the view back. This is frustrating me and I'd like to know if there's a fix for this sort of weird behaviour?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

If by "free look", you mean just rotating the camera to get a different angle, then you can free look with the hat switch on top of most joysticks (I'd highly recommend you buy a jostick). Otherwise, if you're asking if you can pan the camera around (move the viewpoint to a different position with the arrow keys, rather than just swiveling the camera), you'll need to buy EZCA/EZDok from Flight1. It's $35, but definitely worth the price--in my opinion it completely revolutionizes the sim.

I think the default command for mouse view in FSX is Shift+O (not zero) or right click the window and select it on the menu, but you may have to adjust the mouse sensitivity if it moves too fast.

Jay

Okay I have the EZDOK camera addon but I am having a hell of a time figuring out how to make your custom preset views? I've tried youtube to see if there's a tutorial but it doesn't show you how to make different views. Can someone please show me how to use this app to make my own views. FSX is a bit weird when it comes to views. Where does it store the configuration file for each aircraft? Everytime I load FSX up, the views seems inconsistant. Like cockpit view will show a window with a big FMC and some debug code. And when I try to reset that view and go back to it, it won't save it. So next time I go load up FSX again, and enter cockpit view, i still see that FMC and line of debug code. Even though I tried removing both. FSX doesn't automatically save the views?

I figured that you can hold down the middle mouse button and pan around freely with the mouse. This was exactly what I was talking about. Just like how it works in 3d virtual cockpit view in X-Plane. However I can't use the scroll wheel to zoom in or out though.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

You need to run the ezdok config tool to add the vc entry to your aircraft.cfg. You need to do these each time you add a new aircraft. Then run fsx in windowed mode and bring up the ezdok screen with the alt menu. You need to unassign any fsx default view commands such as A and S and reassign in ezdok. The manual explains how to move the camera around and save views. You should really read the manual :)

I think the default command for mouse view in FSX is Shift+O (not zero) or right click the window and select it on the menu, but you may have to adjust the mouse sensitivity if it moves too fast.

TRIED IT BUT STILL DOESNOT MOVE

To look around, either use the hat on a joy stick, or hold space and move the cursor around. I personally don't have anything like EZDok, too complicated for me!

To look around, either use the hat on a joy stick, or hold space and move the cursor around. I personally don't have anything like EZDok, too complicated for me!

When I hold space bar view doesn't move hat on joystick not configured

What's next ?

EZDOK really is the best solution.  It's way too confusing to set up but once you figure it out, it's great.  The manual just doesn't explain things well enough and the videos I watched weren't as detailed as I'd hoped.

Basically, with EZDOK running and FSX (Steam and P3D) in window mode, you set an initial camera view.  Say 0.70 zoom from the cockpit seat looking straight.  I had a heck of a time trying to figure out why the zoom in FS wouldn't adjust with EZDOK running.  Well, instead of using the key assignments in FS as you would without EZDOK, you use the mouse wheel to zoom.  Then you position the camera with the mouse (mouse look) to where you want the default camera view to be and save it.  Press num 2 on the keyboard (num keys, not row).  You'll hear a ding and thats telling you're in edit mode.  Press num 2 again to save the view.  It's really confusing at first because nothing really explains it, but once you figure it out, it's cake.  Once all cameras are created (pilot view, panel view, GPS or FMC, ect...), expand FSX, or P3D, and switch between views.  You can use mouse look to look around by pressing the middle mouse button and holding.  I think you can make mouse look toggle on/off without holding a button by changing the settings too.  It's pretty easy really.  Mouse look sensitivity can be adjusted, as can all settings. 

Watch Froogle's video on setting up EZDOK, it's the best.  That's what helped me most, it just didn't tell me that to set the zoom factor for each camera in edit mode to use the mouse wheel.  I'd think it was set then as I switched to set another camera it went back to 0.40, which is default zoom.

Once I figured that out, I was able to set a bunch of cameras with different zooms, especially for the PMDG 737 where one zoom factor won't always work.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Joystick!

Far more imersive & works better!!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Can someone tell me why space bar doesn't work with the mouse to move around cockpit

Can someone tell me why space bar doesn't work with the mouse to move around cockpit

Yes, open up FSX and go to Settings and click on Controls and then click on the Buttons/Keys tab and then scroll down to Mouse - View Direction and make sure Space is shown as the key.  This is set as the default so not sure how this could have been changed.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

i'M using P3D, and yes did already made sure that space bar was set as Buttons/Keys tab and still desn't move view around, I must press center button (roll ball) to view around, any reason why?