Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BimmerCop

BimmerCop's Cessna 172SP build...

Hey guys, just wanted to share a quick pic of how my Cessna 172SP build is taking shape... It's based on a 1:1 scale of a Cessna 172SP with a 225 degrees wraparound curved screen. Right now I only have 1 projector, but plan on getting 2 more some time next month.

In order to cut down on build time and complexity, I will be doing just the pilot side, even though the MIP will be full size. This means only the pilot side will have a yoke and pedals.

Here is a pic of how it looks right now...

Later on, I will post more pics and more details about my build. Hope you guys like it and if you have any questions or requests for photos, just let me know.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That is very cool. I'm a bit jealous. What are you using to drive the projectors?

EVGA 680GTX FTW+ 4GB version... As for the projectors, I am using BenQ MW814STs @ 1280x800...

Cool that's coming along nicely. Jealous :-)

Nice, What are you planning on using for Gauge Software? Flight Illusion Gauges?

Nice, What are you planning on using for Gauge Software? Flight Illusion Gauges?

Thanks for the comments, guys...

Ohsirus, I'm still undecided because I still haven't made up my mind whether to use XP or FSX. Here are my options though for each sim:

1. FSX with either stock FSX 172SP gauges using an undockable window and FSPanelStudio or a network PC using gauges from thegaugefactory.

2. XP with a network PC using the gauges from FlyElise-ng.

Either way, I will go with a monitor to display the instruments. Practical and cheap!

Thanks for the comments, guys...

Ohsirus, I'm still undecided because I still haven't made up my mind whether to use XP or FSX. Here are my options though for each sim:

1. FSX with either stock FSX 172SP gauges using an undockable window and FSPanelStudio or a network PC using gauges from thegaugefactory.

2. XP with a network PC using the gauges from FlyElise-ng.

Either way, I will go with a monitor to display the instruments. Practical and cheap!

If you do go with FSX, I would recommend the Reality XP FLT and FLN gauges over the stock FSX gauges.

They are much more realistic and well worth the money.

Project Magenta's GA gauges are about the best looking I've seen. Their GAIFR program. Flythissim is a close second.

Wow, that screen is going to be amazing!! Immersion factor x10!

May I ask where you purchased it? Have you tried it out yet with even just the one projector?

The build looks really well planned & put together...congrats so far.

Wow, that screen is going to be amazing!! Immersion factor x10!

May I ask where you purchased it? Have you tried it out yet with even just the one projector?

The build looks really well planned & put together...congrats so far.

Thanks!!! Yes, I have one projector hooked up and it's awesome. Can't wait to have all 3 projectors set up. The screen was purchased from Carl's Place ( http://www.carlofet.com/ ). Great person to deal with, highly recommend him.

My screen is 22' long and 6' tall, curved at a radius if 5.5' for a 225 degree view.

I wish you would have taken pics of how you bent the PVC Pipe frame. Try the Project Magenta gauges (pricey) but they look great and are compatible with FSX and XPX using XPUIPC.

I wish you would have taken pics of how you bent the PVC Pipe frame. Try the Project Magenta gauges (pricey) but they look great and are compatible with FSX and XPX using XPUIPC.

It's extremely easy to bend PVC piping...

Buy a bag of playyard sand from Lowes, the very fine sand. Then find a spot on the ground where you can trace the curve you want your pipe to have. Once you trace it on the floor (preferably a wooden floor like a deck), screw 1 1/2" screws in tandem, about 1" apart with the trace line in the middle. Do this about every 12" inches. What this will do is hold the pipe in the place along the trace line.

Ok, once you have that "jig" set up, take enough sand to fill up a whole pipe segment, in my case the pipes were 10' long, so I had enough sand to be able to fill up about 2-3 of the pipes. This allows for sand you will drop while filling the pipes.

Take that sand and heat in the oven @ 525 degrees, for about 15 minutes. While the sand is being heated, take a pvc end cap and place it on one end and use a rubber mallet to secure it. Keep a second end cap nearby so you can use it on the other end.

Once the sand is heated, quickly pour the sand into the pipe. Make sure you wiggle the pipe a bit so the sand settles and you can fill it up completely. Once it's filled, put the other end cap, secure it and QUICKLY place the pipe in the jig.

The pipe will quickly become malleable and easy to bend into ANY shape. Once the pipe is secured in the jig, let it cool until the pipe is cool to the touch. Being that we are in winter and if you do this outdoors, the pipe will cool down quickly.

Once it's cool, remove the pipe from the jig, remove the end caps and drain the sand out of the pipe.

Presto, you now have a curved pvc pipe!

Needless to say, be VERY careful with the HOT sand.

Yikes! no wonder I thought it looked well planned, lol! Amazing result!

I'm on shaky ground as it is with my significant other where FSX is involved, but I don't even want to imagine her expression if I went near the oven with sand! :Praying:

So, if you don't mind...I live vicariously through your great sim build Efrain! Till I can install my own oven... lol.

BimmerCop, what do your coworkers think of your addition..errr hobby? I don't think mine would even begin to understand!!!

Cool project! Wish I had the time/money/space to do something like this. Two quick questions, what is the yoke? and, if you don't mind, how much has it cost so far?

Good luck, post some pics when its done!

BimmerCop, what do your coworkers think of your addition..errr hobby? I don't think mine would even begin to understand!!!

Actually, most of mine understand because we are a small department and we do have an aviation unit. They just find it amusing when I tell them I am building a cockpit in my spare room. lol

Cool project! Wish I had the time/money/space to do something like this. Two quick questions, what is the yoke? and, if you don't mind, how much has it cost so far?

Good luck, post some pics when its done!

The yoke WAS a Saitek Flight yoke. I say was because I couldn't live with the plasticky and "toyish" feeling of it. I think if I am doing a full size cockpit, it deserved a better looking and more realistic feeling yoke. As such, I am going to buy a real C172 yoke off of eBay and build a yoke assembly myself.

As for total price so far, I'm not good at keeping tabs on how much I've spent. Maybe it's a defense mechanism hahahahaha But once it's all said and done, I would say more than $4,000...

As such, I am going to buy a real C172 yoke off of eBay and build a yoke assembly myself.

That will be awesome! Are you going to but real throttle/mixture/prop levers and convert them aswell, or are you using a pre assembled product?

That will be awesome! Are you going to but real throttle/mixture/prop levers and convert them aswell, or are you using a pre assembled product?

Yup! Gonna buy the throttle/mixture (no prop on my build) cables and knobs from Aircraft Spruce and build it myself.

Speaking of the build, yesterday I decided to get rid of the current MIP and the way I had it set. Now, instead of just one 24" LCD behind the mip for all the gauges, I will be using two 15" LCDs. This allows me to move the yoke up further than before the lower the gauges as well. The real MIP is 17" in height and with the 24" LCD, my MIP's height was 20 3/4" inches... Now with the new layout, I have lowered the height to 18 1/2". Much closer to the actual height. The yoke will be at the right height from the floor though, which is 25".

I will post an image soon of the revised MIP panel. I painted it today and tomorrow I will install the LCDs on it. That's another thing, I was able to mount the LCDs directly on the panel. Before, I had the LCD mounted on the desk and was having a hard time making everything fit right. Now it's a breeze.

I'm looking forward to more pics. I'm interested in how you are going to do the gauges, are you using the default cessna172 and undocking and dragging the gauge windows onto the monitors behind the MIP or are you using some special software?

edit- I have just seen that you have already answerd this question sorry!

Awesome wanted to build GA pit for years getting C-172 parts that the easy part, the hard electircal wiring it up the pedals and rubber, throttle controls, trim wheel. Get a simpit gotta get real yoke, rubber pedals, throtte pedals at least.

I'm looking forward to more pics. I'm interested in how you are going to do the gauges, are you using the default cessna172 and undocking and dragging the gauge windows onto the monitors behind the MIP or are you using some special software?

edit- I have just seen that you have already answerd this question sorry!

Yup, I am going with X-Plane, so I will be using the General Aviation Instruments package by Fly Elise-NG... But if I was to go with XP, I would use thegaugefactory.com 's gauges on a networked PC.

Awesome wanted to build GA pit for years getting C-172 parts that the easy part, the hard electircal wiring it up the pedals and rubber, throttle controls, trim wheel. Get a simpit gotta get real yoke, rubber pedals, throtte pedals at least.

Yup, that is exactly my mindset now. It adds to the realism and parts are easy to find online.

I am going with X-Plane, so I will be using the General Aviation Instruments package by Fly Elise-NG

Looks good. Are you also using their "imersive display" product to wrap the screen around your screen?(if that makes sense!)