Sign in to follow this  
mike stryczek

Rick Piper Chipmunk V3 in DX10

Using Patch v3.2.2?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

That's what I found too. with 3.2.2, so I went back to DX9 to check out the Chippie and some scenery anomalies. Turns out the scenery is the same in X9 so it's not a DX10 issue.

Paul, is it simple to go back to 3.2.1?

Tried the old airfile too, think the new one is much better for aeros, as Paul said. Will try the old sounds.

Cheers

Keith

PS checked out your traffic show Adam...

I tried the v3 chippie with DDS textures but for some reason the aeroplane appears semi transparent in DX10.

In my experience, changing .bmp textures to .dds textures has never made any difference to how they display in FSX.

If they worked in one format, they did in the other and vice versa.

The cause of aircraft textures displaying as translucent in Dx10 is the alpha channel included in the textures.

Alpha channels are used to create shiny (paint), reflective (polished alloy) and translucent textures, such as window glass.

In Fs9, which this aircraft was designed for, the alpha channel, where used, will produce a pleasant shiny reflection in the paint work or polished alloy

and make the cockpit glass translucent.

There is a "sweet spot" with every alpha channel where it looks just right and because FS9, FSX original, FSX Sp2 or Acceleration and now FSX Dx10 all seem to handle the alpha channel differently, this "sweet spot" often needs to be adjusted between FS versions.

The same texture, used successfully in Fs9, in FSX Dx9 may well look much too shiny and in Dx10 may well be translucent or

even transparent, ie invisible.

It is not uncommon for aircraft designed before FSX to have solid or invisible cockpit windows and/or see through fuselage parts

when used in FSX.

Virtually all of these anomalies can be repaired.

That's what I found too. with 3.2.2, so I went back to DX9 to check out the Chippie and some scenery anomalies. Turns out the scenery is the same in X9 so it's not a DX10 issue.

Tried the old airfile too, think the new one is much better for aeros, as Paul said. Will try the old sounds.

Cheers

Keith

PS checked out your traffic show Adam...

Think I'm still using version 3.2.1 will check from home this weekend.

I see what you mean re aero's Keith. I haven't really tried much in the FSX Chippie. I tend to use the Real Air SF-260 for those :P I'll swap the air/aircraft cfg's around and see if it makes it any better for me.

PS: Hope I didn't send u to sleep with my traffic reports ;)

Keith

Hi Keith - I remembered the fix..... Using DXTBmp - load the "Chipmunk_T.dds, then save it as DXT1 - no alpha. And here are new prop textures. You could also use 3.2.1 (I think) as that was the version which fixed grey textures (accidentaly!).

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Sorry to revive an old tread, but I am looking for a Chipppie that will work in DX10 mode in fsx.  I read this thread but the d/l link is no longer active.  Is this version still available somewhere?

A search of the library produced nothing.

Very old thread but does anyone still have Rick Piper's Chipmunk V3? The original upload at Britsim seems defunct...  

RobdeVries.jpg

Very old member here, Holland...  saw your post and went digging...

Here she is...  some pics... haven't flown her in a while, though.. may be a few rusty parts and a flat battery...  fine in DX10.

If you have problems ask back here - I'll watch for a day or two;

All the Best,

pj

Thanks PJ from other old member. Like your style. Will report back. Did you happen to include Bernt's edit's? 

RobdeVries.jpg

Absolutely: dhc11.air is the final version of the modified airfile, Holland, and is included, along with a couple of other sounds sets.

Hope you get as much enjoyment out of her as I and hundreds of others have!

pj