Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

Looking to pick a fight with MicroSoft!!

Jeroen,Just curious>(and IPX as well for good measure)

Tom,If you want to do voice conferencing during online races why not use Roger Wilco like the flight sim guys do?

Guest twsimfan

I'll have to look into that... thanks!

Guest twsimfan

Naji,Good to "see" you... how are things in BFU?

Guest twsimfan

I'm talking about what I call Windows Messenger... which you are refering to as MS Messenger. I have never used MSN Messenger... I assume that it would be much like AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) which is being discussed elsewhere on this thread.Does that clear it up for you?

Well said Tom ! Windows Messenger is a pain in the ****, and it's about time that Microsoft realised that NOBODY WANTS IT.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

John,It might be nice if there was a simple ON/OFF button though, don't you think ? You may like it, but some of us think that it is the spawn of Satan.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest twsimfan

Chris,John has already said that. Instead it would be good to thank him for telling you how to disable it.

Guest twsimfan

Chris,John wants it & needs it for his work. A good, simple, on/off switch will do just fine.

While on the topic of Windows messenger- I was on final at TNCA today and guess what happens?! Its darn ad's pop up, FS minimizes, and my 757 crashes into the water...great way to end a three hour flight flown in real time :-dohJason :-wave

Fair enough Tom, but then that's what XP Professional is for.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest IanP

That is MSN messenger - it's the thing that sits in the toolbox at the bottom right hand corner of the Taskbar, with two little people and - in my case - a red circled cross telling me that I prevented it from logging in. ;-)It is similar to AOL Messenger, ICQ, Odigo and umpteen other chat programs, as you assume.Windows Messenger is what pops up the Spam messages though. As Jeroen says, it is a good idea to disable protocols you aren't going to use for an internet connection (i.e. anything but TCP/IP) from talking to machines outside of your network. This is the most secure method and should be done automatically by most firewall software anyway, but if you don't want to do that, getting rid of MS/MSN Messenger won't get rid of pop-up spam. Only closing down access to *Windows* messenger - the pop-up message component - will dispose of that.Ian P.:-halo

BFU is doing splendid, Tom, but I guess these days you'll see me more in FU3 forum than in BFU's :).All the best.

Tom,That little routine described above turns off Windows Messenger, not MSN Messenger (the one with the icon in the taskbar). Getting rid of the latter is somewhat more complicated.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Naji,Why will you be in the FU3 Forum more than BFU's ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png