Sign in to follow this  
Bill A

Cockpit Wind sound (Airliners)

Hi all, if there is one thing that I have been tweaking and tweaking around with for years is the cockpit environmental wind sound. I wonder if there are some quality wind sounds out there that I have missed and what are the best settings for the config under {WIND] that will be the most realistic in sound environment,

Ive watch so countless videos 100s of them from the cockpit and one thing is certain, the wind the the cockpit is loud during cruise. Plus you cant hear the engines at all when at curse altitude Just wind. I would like to simulate that too. the wind starts around 100 kts from what the videos show...nice and faint an then around 250 kts you really start to hear it kick in, then from then on..its loud. And the engine sounds are no longer heard. Anyone out there want to share their wind settings? This is one thing Im really particular on.

Thanks all

Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Hi Bill

I can't help you but will be watching this thread as I would also like to do the same tweaking. It is definitely true that on the flight deck of a jet airliner the dominant sound is wind and the engines, if audible at all, are way in the background. But I wouldn't use the word "loud" - though of course it depends how you define that. Typically you can hold a normal conversation without using an intercom so though the wind sound is definitely audible and the main background noise, it's not usually so loud that you don't just "tune out."

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian, you are right, its all a matter of perception has heard from the other in the cockpit or even from watching cockpit clips. Seems loud from the videos that I seen, however you should be able to hold a conservation like you mentioned..on the other heand, you should not be able to hear the engines on cruise altitude, but I dont want to adjust the engine sounds in the sound options since they are perfect when idle on the ground and during take off and landings.

one more

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Wind or aerodynamic noise in the cockpit depends on the a/c type. The "Boeing" cockpit is one of the loudest for that!

Turbine compressor noise is another issue altogether. In real life it diminishes with altitude and airspeed due to the thinner atmosphere and the higher aerodynamic velocities which push the sound footprint behind the a/c.

In the sim all engine sounds are linked to the throttle. So being able to turn a sound off by using altitude and mach as a parameter can't really be done.

The majority of the noise on the flight deck of the B767-200 was air conditioning and pressurisation with a little engine and wind noise in the background. The engines were barely noticeable in the cruise but certainly could be heard during T/O and climb. It was quite tricky listening for an engine spooling up when applying power when asymmetric. You didn't put the rudder in until you heard the engine spool up. But you were, of course, using quite a lot of power when on one engine.

Colin B