Sign in to follow this  
dighost

Raytheon making games?

It would be exciting to think that a company like Raytheon (known to most of us aviation junkies as an aircraft production company), but i wouldn't get your hopes up too far. Raytheon is a major defence contractor. They make weapons, and training platforms. The job posting is probably for a new virtual training program of some sort.

This link is a little old, but it might give some clues as to what they would be hiring video game makers for.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/raytheon-gets-105m-develop-serious-games

Might explain the need for mention of "security clearance" in the job posting.

I really wished Microsoft would develop a new Simulator or tweak FSX.......that would really be amazing!!!

I too am fond of the MS series, however I am 100% biased. I have never tried anything else (except 1 failed attempt at Sierras PROPILOT 98.)

I haven't tried Xplane, but they have been pretty active in developemnt for the last several years. Hopefully they stick around fo the long haul and maybe one day we'll all be laughing together, saying "remember when we thought FSX was so good!"

Or maybe an iPad game, like I have seen from other aviation companies. Their thinking must be getting the kids to like the company and it's aircraft, and then convincing their dads they want to fly on that one :P

Alexis Mefano

I work for Raytheon, but in a different part of the company. First of all, Raytheon got out of the aircraft manufacturing business some years ago, after divesting itself of the Beech and Hawker products.

I looked up that job, and e-mailed the hiring manager listed in our internal job search. The product is a simulator, but it's specific to a "customer product" (unspecified) and is not intended to be a game, although it will use gaming technology, software and engines to create the sim. From the security clearance requirement, it's reasonable to assume this is a military application.

For anyone who is interested in this sort of thing, it's a chance to work on a game-related project while still working for a big, stable company as opposed to a startup. And, when the project winds down, there's always a chance to transfer to a different project, perhaps one where the missiles are real.

Let's not forget that the armed forces have been playing war games long before computers were even invented.