Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

TV reporter gets hit by aeroplane...

In my previous life I worked in TV and on a particular day back sometime in the early eighties a colleague of mine was filming for a news item with one of our news reporters. The idea was for the cameraman to pan with the aeroplane and end up on the reporter while he delivered a piece to camera. Needless to say the reporter (Richard Wyatt) never finished his news item. But I am happy to report that he made a full recovery...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I remember seeing this video on youtube a few months ago. Scary stuff. Its good to hear that he is OK. Its amazing how anyone could survive getting hit in the head like that.

Sure I know, I think the plane was a Piper Cub. He was told that if it had been any other plane he would likely have been killed. It was only because of the wooden leading edge and stretched canvas that helped save his life...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Yikes! Must have hurt a lot. Glad he was only temporarily down. Just out of (weird) interest, how did the plane look like? You mention the wooden structure which surely helped.

Glad he recovered fully! Facing away from the aircraft seems to have been a very unlucky position to be in. It is very painful for me even to imagine getting hit in either the back (broken spine—death or paralysis) or head (almost certainly death) by such a blunt object at such a high speed. It is amazing what we can catch on film, though some things are probably less painful not filmed. . . .

It was only because of the wooden leading edge and stretched canvas that helped save his life...

I hereby propose a ban on any aircraft with leading edges made from materials other than wood! We cannot continue to let these evil creations endanger the lives of our children and loved ones! In fact I think we should take it yet a step further and outlaw all flying machines with the possible exception of hot air baloons, and that should be limited to only those fueled by firewood due to the potential danger of flamable gasses under pressure! Consider the potential dangers of a rotorcraft - a veritible full-auto "high-capacity magazine" of non-wooden leading edges! This is serious folks, bottom line is aircraft kill people and they must be stopped!

(BTW, that had to hurt, I'm glad to hear that he made a full recovery. He must have been one tough SOB!)

Yikes! Must have hurt a lot. Glad he was only temporarily down. Just out of (weird) interest, how did the plane look like? You mention the wooden structure which surely helped.

Hi CoolP, unsure the state of the aircraft, although I'm pretty sure it came off better in the incident!

(BTW, that had to hurt, I'm glad to hear that he made a full recovery. He must have been one tough SOB!)

I think someone said that it was taking things to the extreme to try and knock some sense into him :lol:

Howard

What are the three objects that the pilot throws at him? :/ It looks like the pilot did the whole thing on purpose!

Rob Prest

This seems like yet another fake video.

1. The pilot deliberately dips his wing "in order to hit" the bystander.

2. The scene of the ambulance shows them picking "the mannequin" up from the ground in the opposite direction to which it fell.

I hereby propose a ban on any aircraft with leading edges made from materials other than wood! We cannot continue to let these evil creations endanger the lives of our children and loved ones! In fact I think we should take it yet a step further and outlaw all flying machines with the possible exception of hot air baloons, and that should be limited to only those fueled by firewood due to the potential danger of flamable gasses under pressure! Consider the potential dangers of a rotorcraft - a veritible full-auto "high-capacity magazine" of non-wooden leading edges! This is serious folks, bottom line is aircraft kill people and they must be stopped!

LOL..(yet a serious subject)...Jim,I like it!!...2nd all the way for me...

I nominate Nerf as the probable builder of that aircraft.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This seems like yet another fake video.

Woooow.. hold on partner... did you not read my OP? I can promise you, it is not a fake video... in fact I will call my mate, the cameraman and ask him what the white powder was...

Howard

Was that guy deaf? You mean to say he didn't hearing it coming ?

Sorry, but being hit on the back of the head like..............?

Beggars belief.

OK, so I've just got off the phone with Mike the cameraman and this is what he said happened. It was 1976 and the news crew were doing a news item at Weston Super Mare air day in the UK. At the time, all the reporters were trying to outdo each other with more interesting and innovative pieces-to-camera. The reporter, Richard, was going to start a PTC holding an umbrella and say something like :" I suppose you're wondering why I'm standing here holding an umbrella during one the the hottest summer's on record.." when the plane was to fly over the top of him and drop a bag of flour. Unfortunately, the pilot could never get close enough and so the reporter said he'd do it again but this time without an umbrella. On the fatal fly by, the pilot reached so far out of the cockpit that he shifted the CofG and hence the wings tilted over and hit poor old matey off his feet! So the white powder was in fact flour!

Howard