Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

TV reporter gets hit by aeroplane...

Im from the TV region where this reporter worked and I can rember seeing this on the TV at the time so it is 110% genuine. He used to work for HTV West in Bristol, a local TV network in the West Country area of the UK.

Only thing tho ... (Sorry H) aircraft is a Grasshopper (simular to J3 Cub but not Cub (look for the extra glased rear cabin area ... Next 1st beers on me for that :-) ).

Im from the TV region where this reporter worked and I can rember seeing this on the TV at the time so it is 110% genuine. He used to work for HTV West in Bristol, a local TV network in the West Country area of the UK.

Only thing tho ... (Sorry H) aircraft is a Grasshopper (simular to J3 Cub but not Cub (look for the extra glased rear cabin area ... Next 1st beers on me for that :-) ).

Hee hee, Rich... thanks for the info... by the way, the pilot went onto lose his licence, which is a bit of a shame as it was the reporter, Richard, who was egging him on to get lower and lower...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Yes Howard, back in the 1970's you guys in the UK used to do some crazy reporting. I think the beginning of that film 24 Hour Party People showing Tony Wilson trying to Hang Glide pretty much says it all. Silly Reporters should stay on the ground and away from aeroplanes (and fast moving cars). :LMAO:

Glad your friend made a full recovery.

Matthew Kane

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Thanks for the background story on that incident, Howard. The actual thing reminds me of those YT videos about the unfortunate reporters. Some may actually feature your scene.

Prop planes at idle power can be extremely quiet and can easily sneak up on you if you aren't paying attention. You might hear just a little wind noise as they approach.

In this case, he clearly knew it was there, but accidents happen.

the pilot went onto lose his licence, which is a bit of a shame as it was the reporter, Richard, who was egging him on to get lower and lower...

For these types of incidents, it is difficult to determine who is at fault. In this case, it was not the reporter who forced the pilot to maneuver his aircraft dangerously (unless the former really did threaten the pilot), so I guess it was primarily the poor judgment and unwise risk-taking behaviors of the pilot that resulted in this painful incident.

However, suggesting such risky activities in the first place might not have been the wisest decision, though we have all had poor decision-making moments which we later regret.

And there was me thinking "Wow, what a way to smuggle drugs and stay under the radar"...

Another one of those "Seemed like a good idea at the time" moments :P

What's the old saying... "It's all good until someone gets hurt... then its hilarious!"..

The only thing that would make that video better... is to replace the "thump" sound, with the "ping" of a doge ball.

I feel for both the human bowling pin, and especially the pilot. It's not fun to hurt someone.

Hey Ricci, nice find. I haven't seen that vid before, so I think it once and for all explains to everyone exactly what happened...

Howard

That was one very lucky cameraman. It's good that he can look back and see the humour in the situation, and obviously appreciates his good luck!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

They should ban wings on aircraft. At least on flying ones. :mad:

They should ban wings on aircraft. At least on flying ones. :mad:

Aircraft don't necessarily need to have wings. However aeroplanes do!!