Sign in to follow this  
mr340

ENB+ Shade Crash (Will it ever Stop)

Few months back i manage to fix the ENB Black screen issue . I will not called it a crash because it never crashes , all you can hear is the engine in the back ground running an even the ATC giving clearance for landing etc.... It seems everything is working but the only problem is the screen is pitch black. In the past this has only happen to me when using fspassengerx after i complete a flight . The strange thing is how it happens, it only happen when am in a 3 to 4 hour flight, then when ending the flight pitch black screen is there. It never happens when flying VFR only when IFR + using fspassengerx. I did various of things to get it working i also included a fix for anyone with this issue can used. Since it help me i figure it would help others. But here i am again trying to fix this issue that has been going around the flightsim community for a long time now. Am very good in software engineering . But this is puzzle that i have not yet manage to find the missing peace to finally get it fix once an for all . I work day an night trying to finally fix this not just for me only, but for me to finally do something useful for the AVSIM Community . Some have actually quit the ENB MOD for various of reasons. For now i would just like to try fix this issue since is the only one am familiar with. An official FIX For Black Screen , simmers get when using ENB MOD or any other addon . Sometime i stop to think an say to myself what about if is not ENB that is causing the problem. So to be sure i did some test an try running fsx with out ENB i fly for about 4 hours an never had a black screen . So kept trying every day an just the other day i got a black screen when going to the map option . I had fsx running for about 6 hours or more to get the black screen . I try basic step to minimize the screen to see if helps never fix. So if is not ENB ,what else could it be ? :Thinking:

It doesn't give an error code because it never crashes. Any one with any suggestion for me to try . I am making a list of all the fix i try an have a couple of them that have failed, some have work for a short period of time. Any suggestion would be helpful an i will be very thankful for your efforts in helping me. :biggrin:

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

A black screen after 4 or 6 hours of flight can be caused by overheating, an overclocking issue, your system memory is not properly configured properly or you have your sliders all set to max (which will eventually create the overheating). Most likely overheating but I have also seen problems if the CPU voltage is set to high or too low in the BIOS. Do you have your system overclocked? Your specs to not show that but you can overclock up to 4.2GHz with a locked CPU. You have 32GB's of system RAM and that is way, way too much. No matter how much ram you have installed, FSX can only 'see' up to 4 GB's. The rest is used for system functions. Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

A black screen after 4 or 6 hours of flight can be caused by overheating, an overclocking issue, your system memory is not properly configured properly or you have your sliders all set to max (which will eventually create the overheating). Most likely overheating but I have also seen problems if the CPU voltage is set to high or too low in the BIOS. Do you have your system overclocked? Your specs to not show that but you can overclock up to 4.2GHz with a locked CPU. You have 32GB's of system RAM and that is way, way too much. No matter how much ram you have installed, FSX can only 'see' up to 4 GB's. The rest is used for system functions. Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim, now that you mention i do have the graphic a little overclock but not the CPU. I do have 32gb of ram but only have it since i run lots of application in the background. My computer i only use it for FSX an Home Studio that is why i went kind of over board adding ram memory. I just wanted to be sure fsx won't affect my music production work . An i never look at it for overheating , but i think it might do . As you may have already seen i have AMD HD Radeon Graphic Card, when i went threw Word Not Allowed's guide it talks about limiting FPS inside fsx an setting 1/2 vsynce on Nvidia Inspector/ AMD Radeon doesn't have any inspector, but it does has this plugin called RIVA Tunner it comes with MSI Afterburner. What i did was limited the FPS with RIVA Tunner same thing Nvidia inspector can do.

I don't know if what i did is right . But i guest this will reduce stress with the graphic card an it won't overheat. I don't know if you have any recommendation for Radeon HD Cards if you do am willing to try some . Someone from ATI told me that one part in Word Not Allowed's Guide sure is important . To limit FSP to 30 in fsx an using Nvidia inspector because 1) fsx will run smoother 2) your graphic card won't overheat. But how do i do that one step in Word Not Allowed's guide if i don't have Nvidia Inspector?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz

Thanks for the explanation regarding your 32GB's of RAM. Just wanted to make sure you realized the FSX limitations. If you are running other applications in the background plus FSX, you are more likely to have a problem. FSX freezing or a black screen would be common. I had a backup program running a backup during one of my flights and the screen froze. I just let it fsx continue to run until it started up again. I uninstalled the backup program and it no longer freezes. I have heard of others having a problem with an anti-virus program running in the background checking for updates. It is a known problem from all the way back when fs9 was first released and still with FSX. In fact, some developers came up with a program that would shut down every non-essential service running in the background and reenable them once you finished with FS9/FSX. The modern computers like yours may not need one of these programs as computer technology has come a long way since 2004 but it is still something to consider.

With your ATI video card, I would simply move the slider in the fsx settings to 30 or maybe even 40 then go fly. The only thing you don't have with the ATI card is the ability to use the NI 1/2 vsync setting but that's not going to make a difference on your system. I have my frames limited to 46 and I get great performance. It's a setting you must play with to get the best sim without too many stutters (fsx will still stutter occasionally). The default is 25 but that was set by Microsoft in 2007 when they developed FSX and video cards have gotten better since then. This link might be of interest - http://www.overclock.net/t/1250127/limit-frame-rate-in-ati.

FSX uses more CPU resources than the GPU. In FS9, it was the opposite. You might also be unaware that FSX was developed mainly for Nvidia cards. When Vista was released, Nvidia produced video card drivers immediately. ATI/AMD waited months before developing drivers. They were upset with Microsoft that they developed a new OS so the developers at the Aces Team that developed FSX had to use the Nvidia card to find the best display driver settings.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the explanation regarding your 32GB's of RAM. Just wanted to make sure you realized the FSX limitations. If you are running other applications in the background plus FSX, you are more likely to have a problem. FSX freezing or a black screen would be common. I had a backup program running a backup during one of my flights and the screen froze. I just let it fsx continue to run until it started up again. I uninstalled the backup program and it no longer freezes. I have heard of others having a problem with an anti-virus program running in the background checking for updates. It is a known problem from all the way back when fs9 was first released and still with FSX. In fact, some developers came up with a program that would shut down every non-essential service running in the background and reenable them once you finished with FS9/FSX. The modern computers like yours may not need one of these programs as computer technology has come a long way since 2004 but it is still something to consider.

With your ATI video card, I would simply move the slider in the fsx settings to 30 or maybe even 40 then go fly. The only thing you don't have with the ATI card is the ability to use the NI 1/2 vsync setting but that's not going to make a difference on your system. I have my frames limited to 46 and I get great performance. It's a setting you must play with to get the best sim without too many stutters (fsx will still stutter occasionally). The default is 25 but that was set by Microsoft in 2007 when they developed FSX and video cards have gotten better since then. This link might be of interest - http://www.overclock...ame-rate-in-ati.

FSX uses more CPU resources than the GPU. In FS9, it was the opposite. You might also be unaware that FSX was developed mainly for Nvidia cards. When Vista was released, Nvidia produced video card drivers immediately. ATI/AMD waited months before developing drivers. They were upset with Microsoft that they developed a new OS so the developers at the Aces Team that developed FSX had to use the Nvidia card to find the best display driver settings.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim , you are always so helpful an kind to explain all of this. I guest am going to have to get an Nvidia Card , because fsx is the only game i play on this computer. I am not having any graphic problem is just that the black screen more often seem to pop up when using ENB MOD . Just now it happen again , i found out what might be triggering the problem , i think it might be the bloom hdr setting . From what i can see ENB is only good for VFR flying, i will not get any black screen flying vfr because i would use the menu option less than flying IFR. I see lots of people are having crashes me in the other hand only have black screen no crashes an fsx seems to be find. So far no stuttering when flying IFR o VFR so the performance is great thanks to you Jim :biggrin: For the black screen am just lowering the GPU setting since fsx uses less. Most simmers quit ENB but if it can work for some it might work for others , i guest it really depends on the hardware you have on your pc. An how much can it withstand when it comes to performance or overclocking a little. I find no need in overclocking my CPU because it came with perfect performance from the start. Before i build this rig some fellow simmers warn me of adding one of those AMD RADEON Cards they said Radeon doesn't like FSX clouds that it gets major stutters when approaching clouds at 10FT high. I can honestly say that has never happen to me , i don't know if the CPU had anything to do with it .

I know some may say why do i want to purchase an NVidia Card if the performance is great right now with my Radeon HD.. But is just like you said Jim, FSX was made to run with Nvidia cards an since i only run fsx in this computer why not go for one of those Nvidia Cards. Am really not into other games out there only flight simulator. :biggrin:

What i would like to do right now is just to find a way how to run ENB + Shade an fspassengerx all together. I don't get any performance issue when running all together. Only black screen sometimes earlier than i expected. I check the temperature on the GPU an it only reach up to 56*C some times it does touch 60*C when flying around larger scenery . Its funny how black screen happens i can fly for as long as i like an i won't have any black screen unless i used one of the menu option like for example going to the map , or clicking on any addon option that will pull me out of fsx into another menu. It never crashes all it do is stay there all engines running an everything seems normal but BLACK SCREEN COVERING the entire screen.

Thanks Jim

Mr Leny

I am not having any graphic problem is just that the black screen more often seem to pop up when using ENB MOD . Just now it happen again , i found out what might be triggering the problem , i think it might be the bloom hdr setting .

I thought in your OP you had no problems with the ENB Mod. It creates a lot of problems. That's why I removed it after using it for maybe a month. Did you ever try SweetFX, I think the replacement for the ENB mod. Some people are having problems with that too but I think it is working better. There's a long thread about it in the FSX forum.

I know some may say why do i want to purchase an NVidia Card if the performance is great right now with my Radeon HD.. But is just like you said Jim, FSX was made to run with Nvidia cards an since i only run fsx in this computer why not go for one of those Nvidia Cards. Am really not into other games out there only flight simulator

I don't think the Nvidia cards are going to help you much as it was back in 2007 when Vista first came out and ATI publically stated they were not going to issue an updated driver for Vista. That's water under the ATI bridge and they have since changed that attitude and developed very good display drivers.

Your temperatures on the GPU appear to be okay but I think 60C or 140 degrees is pretty hot. They say a Radeon can remain stable at 100C so you should be okay with that. The CPU temp is the one you should watch. I read somewhere that 90C is the max for any CPU so yours is well within the limits.

I really think it is the mod causing all of your problems and you need to make a decision on keeping it or dumping it so you can enjoy the flying a bit more (without black screens).

Those persons who got major stuttering when approaching large clouds probably had their cloud setting set in their commercial weather program to display 2048 resolutions instead of 1048 or 512.

Hope you get your problem with the ENB mod fixed.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

The one suggestion I would have is to remove it and see if the same thing happens. I use it...haven't had any problems with it...could be I'm lucky or something. Haven't tried SweetFX but that's good to know about.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Thanks Jim. I just now finish a flight no black screen at the moment. Lets hope it stays this way. Thanks for all your help . :biggrin:

Mr Leny

The one suggestion I would have is to remove it and see if the same thing happens. I use it...haven't had any problems with it...could be I'm lucky or something. Haven't tried SweetFX but that's good to know about.

Gregg

Thanks Gregg, i manage to fix two issue now some bad jumpy turbulence cause by Accu Feel Version 2.0 + OPUS + Ezdok an the black screen for now . Also Gregg maybe you don't have any issue with ENB is because you don't use lots of menu option like flight planning for instant or map option. I only get the black screen when going threw menu option. This problem confuse many simmers in the past because they thought that the menu problem was a crash an user lots of time recommended me to add uiautomation core .dll in my fsx program file folder . That is not the case with my black screen issue, one thing is for sure when it happens i never get any crash or error on the screen , just the engine in the background running everything seems to be okay but i can't see nothing not even menu bars the screen is just pitch black. But now i manage to narrow it down just a little by not overclocking my GPU so much . Today was a good day no crashes after few advice from Jim .

:biggrin:

Mr Leny

That's good news. I keep my system very low on add ons...at least I try to. I was a little nervous about using ENB...it wasn't designed for FSX. But, so far so good.

Cheers.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

That's good news. I keep my system very low on add ons...at least I try to. I was a little nervous about using ENB...it wasn't designed for FSX. But, so far so good.

Cheers.

Yea am using one right now that blends in with fsx a little . I guest is not so bad. Here you go if you don't have it http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18867-vfr-enb-mod-built-for-essentials/ :biggrin:

Mr Leny

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Gregg Seipp

I posted this about my experiences in another topic a while back but just in case it may help someone here is how I resolved my crashes all the best.

I was having blackscreens when using the ngx with ENB from window to full screen but have not had any since following these two threads here.I am using the rally d3d9.dll (http://forum.avsim.n...7602-enbseries/) i did not like the effects folder so i left that out and added in this d3dx9_26.dll( http://forum.avsim.n...d-possible-fix/) into fsx directory.No idea why it works but it is working for me which is good enough.All the best(Hope it helps someone and does not create more headaches) am currently using ati radeon 5770 graphics card with latest drivers.

Thanks will try this in the morning. :biggrin: One question, in the link you posted clearly said to add d3dx9_26.dll to fsx directory but i already have d3dx9.dll can i add d3dx9_26.dll all together ?

Mr Leny

Okay today i have try to test this new fix. An it looks like it is working for the time being . First i start a flight from TIST to KJFK it takes about 4 hours to get there. Half way threw the flight i click on the menu option several time but with ENB off by pressing Shift +F12 . No black screen when going threw menu option . So i don't know if is the d3dx9_26.dll slainte 13 suggested me to add in my fsx directory folder or if it is working all together with my other fix i applied . Am going to share all i have done to see if this may help someone in the future with these common issues.

1)First after Jim told me FSX uses more CPU power than graphic i decided to lower my overclock GPU just a little to avoid any graphic error or overheating. It is good to keep in mind that this can also cause black screen if you overclock your GPU to much. Also another thing to keep in mind to is that if you overclock your CPU an still get low FPS check the temperature . I never have any performance issue because i never mess with my CPU setting , knowing the fact that is very expensive now that i got the I7 Extreme Edition which cause a good amount of money, i don't want to mess with my IVY Bridge .

If you overclock your CPU just check on the temperature time to times.

2) Since i don't have an Nvidia Card for the Nvidia Inspector tweak , what i did is set the "Wait for vertical refresh " to On,unless application specifies . This option you can find it in AMD VISION ENGINE CONTROL CENTER, right under gaming - 3D application setting . This is only for those of you who have Radeon HD Cards. For people with Nvidia Card just fallow up with Word Not Allowed's Guide where he speaks about limiting FPS in FSX an setting 1/2 of Vsync in Nvidia Inspector.

3) I don't know what this little tool did to my graphic card but graphic seems to be so smooth i don't even know what is a stutter any more. It is called the RIVA TUNNER. To learn a little about this tool you can go here http://forums.overcl....php?p=21106821

I fallow everything said in that forum to learn what this tool does for us Radeon users . I really can't say this will work for all radeon user but to majority of them it did work but with other games not with FSX. I don't know if am the first one to try this for fsx but it works fine.

This is the forum how to get the RIVA Tuner : http://hardforum.com...hp?p=1038289499

Here is what i did

I downloaded MSI AFTERBURNER from their main site here http://event.msi.com...er/download.htm

After that open up Afterburner:

1) enable OSD

2) Create a keyboard shortcut to OSD

3) Restart afterburner

4) Running OSD will put an app called "riva tuner" in your system tray, its the afterburner icon but has a purple 60 on it

5) Open riva tuner, go in options (click on the wrench) , enable frame rate limiter at 30

6) combine fps limiter with in game vsync( which also mean to limite FPS inside FSX)

7) No microstutter

8) CCC 12 will have this feature built in apparently

So you should have 30FPS targeting in fsx an 30 FPS limited in RIVA TUNNER. I know it sound crazy but for some wierd reason it work for me an others that uses AMD RADEON HD CARDS.

4) I have tested fsx with just from step 1 to 3 fallowed , an didn't get any black screen issue yesterday. But just today i fallowed a link send by slainte 13 thanks by the way. :smile: http://forum.avsim.n...d-possible-fix/

It tells me to add d3dx9_26.dll to my fsx directory folder. At first i said wait i think i downloaded something like this an it didn't work for me. I think now i may know the reason why. In the link above someone give me mediafire link so i can download d3dx9_26.dll,but the link seems to be expired or broken. But as kept reading some one said you can get the d3dx9_26.dll from "C:\Windows\System32" . I think is better to get it from you C:\Windows\System32 than to download it from another simmer online. Because as you may know not everyone's Operated System works the same way, some may have problem others may have different Operated System.

What i did

I copy an paste d3dx9_26.dll from "C:\Windows\System32" to FSX directory folder. If that doesn't work just try different d3dx9 from "C:\Windows\System32"

5) This step i like to use it when i want to be sure that i don't get any crashes cause by ENB itself. Some users reported that when they press Shift + F12 to disable ENB that for some reason it seems to turn back On again. This is how you can Fix that

I made this change in the .ini file: (enbseries)

[GLOBAL]

UseEffect=0 (typically is set to 1 in the .ini file)

This keeps the mod from turning on when you start the sim or even when going from full screen to windowed mode and vice versa. You will have to

manually turn it on and off by using SHIFT + F12.

Thanks for this one Joeflyer from Fspassenger Forum.

Once that is done what i do is to be sure i don't get any crashes or black screen cause by ENB, i turn off ENB when going threw any menu option by pressing Shift + F12.

Thanks for everyone who reply . As of this moment no Black screen flew for 6 hours again no black screen . I went so far to put these new tweaks in test that i used my 32" RCA Screen to watch a movie at the same time FSX running in one of the HDMI port. So when switching back to FSX it was still there smooth as butter. :biggrin: Am going to be testing it again tonight . Hope this helps someone in the future .

Mr Leny