Sign in to follow this  
richy44

Quick FS Genesus mesh question in FS9

I purchased a set of meshes for all of Canada from FS Genesus. All the meshes are 19 size. There are also some additional meshes in the 32 and 76 size. ( "size" for lack of a better term).

Here is my question: there is one for BC in the 19 size and another specifically for the rockies.in the 32 size.. Do I install both or will the 19 size override the 32 size.. Not that clear but I hope you get the drift of my question..

Thanks

Install 'em both, FS9 will use the highest available mesh resolution for the area immediately around your plane.

If you're in an area that has 19 meter mesh available, that's what you will see.

If not, then FS will use the 38 meter mesh.

Having multiple resolutions of mesh for the same area is not a problem and can improve the view further away from your plane.

The numbers, 19, 38, 76 are distances in meters between data points where FS knows the exact elevation. FS interpolates that data to fill in between the points.

Obviously, the closer the points, or higher the resolution, the more detail you will see in the sim.

FYI, some of the default mesh in FS9 is over 1000 meters between data points. you can miss a lot of detail at that resolution.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks again Joe, you sure are looking after this old guy..:). My grandson is learning a lot too..He is 6 and made his first (almost solo landing) today at cyxe..He was quite proud..

Thanks again..

Now to prepare the mesh lesson for him tomorrow after school...lol

Cheers and all your help is most appreciated!!!!

Rick

I fully realize this topic is well over a year old.  My apologies for resurrecting it.

I am curious about adding terrain mesh to my flightsim, FS2004, specifically the downloads available from FS Genesis.  Looking at the FS Genesis website I found a 19 meter mesh for Idaho (my home state and VFR flying area).  

I also have a backcountry airport package that the instructions say works well with the FS Genesis Rocky Mountain Mesh, which is 38 meter.

Judging from this post I gather that FS2004 will draw the appropriate mesh it deems suitable.

My question.  If the 19 meter Idaho mesh and the 38 meter Rocky Mountain mesh "overlap" at one of those backcountry airports, does the system take any extra hits in terms of FPS?  I run Megascenery's Pacific Northwest for FS2004 with no problem, but it doesn't include Idaho, thus my interest in FS Genesis.  There's not a whole lot of background or use info on the FS Genesis site, just blocks to click to add various meshes to your cart.  Even clicking the block for "more information" only yields a short three or four line description that says little, for instance, how much does "Rocky Mountain" mesh cover?

Randy

Mesh has very little, if any, impact on FPS.

I would expect any impact to be noticeable only on very weak systems that are already struggling to keep up.

IIUC Megascenery is photoreal ground textures, which is different than mesh.

As for your last question, I have no idea what the coverage is. The old FS Genesis had coverage maps in the product description. You could try contacting them. You also might want to post in the FS9 forum where more people will see it. maybe someone has bought this and can give you more info.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Hi Randy,

I used the FS Genesis 38m stuff when I was flying FS2004 and it makes a world of difference in Idaho (live in Elk River, ID85). I'm currently running P3D v2 and a good mesh when flying outside of the Orbx regions is a necessity for me. (Orbx also puts ID85 in its proper place) Be aware that you may have to edit the scenery (?) config so it can fully utilize the mesh.

Respectfully,

Brian

IIUC Megascenery is photoreal ground textures, which is different than mesh.

Yeah, I continually get the two confused when talking about them, but you do in fact recall correctly.  Megascenery is photoreal textures...completely different than mesh.  My mistake in comparing the two.

I did end up buying the Idaho 19m mesh from FSGenesis.  At first I was disappointed due to my own confusion about photoreal vs mesh.  Once I sorted that out and started looking around from my home airport (U76) I realized that Bennett Mountain looked like the Bennett Mtn I see out my front door and Danskin Peak looked correct.  Gotta move the lookouts on both Danskin and Bennett, though.  I placed them onto the default mountains with EZ-Scenery and now they no longer sit at the peaks... :o

Just in short hops to various USFS grass/dirt strips I see a problem with some of them sitting on "plateaus", but that's an issue I can fix piecemeal as I go.  All the majors, KBOI, KTWF, KIDA, KPIH, and KLWS blend fine with the mesh as does, luckily U76.

Randy