Sign in to follow this  
flightsimmer747

Coming to Opus from rex wx engine

Is there anything to do besides disabling rex wx engine when migrating to opus, example is there a setting for haze or fog effect that should not be active when using opus, i know asky uses a haze and fog effect. But cant find anything within rex textures that should be undone prior to using opus, what did you do in rex?

But cant find anything within rex textures that should be undone prior to using opus, what did you do in rex?

Nothing. Opus will use REX textures - or whatever textures you've got loaded. If you're using Opus, once you've loaded a REX texture set (which can be a one-time thing) you don't use REX at all.

Scott

So unlike activesky there is no fog or haze or mist effects which would interfere with opus. I thought i heard of a redesigned effect when disabling say fog layer in activesky anyway? Did rex not alter any of those ?

I don't have AS so I can't speak to that, but any fog or similar effects in REX would be limited to the REX wx engine and its settings are irrelevant if using Opus. When I fly using Opus, I don't change anything in REX or even start it for that matter. And vice versa, of course. :-)

Scott

Thanks Scott, i won't alter any settings for nor run the wx engine and just use opus.

The reason i mention asky is because at some point i had it and not sure how i uninstalled it, and if i restored the original textures including the fog fix and haze. Which btw i never noticed a difference.

We have encountered an FSX problem which may require you to change the settings in your previous weather engine ...

I see horizontal 'bands' of haze with clear areas between

This is a known issue with 3rd party weather engines, just use 3rd party weather engines for the textures and use OpusFSX for the weather updates. Make sure you have disabled your 3rd party weather engines and in addition disabled/removed all their visibility, haze and fog effects.

A way to remove it with AS2012 is:

1: Start AS2012

2: Start FSX, load a flight

3: Once you are at airport of choice, open AS WX Options / Visibility

4: Make sure the following options are ticked;

a: fog layer generator

b: Untick 'Use stratus for fog'

c: Tick 'Enable Visibility Graduation and Smoothing' and set to 9000ft

The sliders should be set from top to bottom 0,65,65

Save and Apply.

Do this in the Status page also.

5: Shut down AS and FSX

Now repeat steps 1-3.

This time you will do the reverse,

a: Untick fog layer generator

b: Untick 'Use stratus for fog'

c: Untick 'Enable Visibility Graduation and Smoothing'

Save and Apply as above.

We have applied an automatic fix to prevent the static cloud layer that forms above the aircraft. This is not an OpusFSX problem, we have just provided a solution to a problem that occasionally occurs on some systems due to a corrupt or faulty cirrus overcast bitmap mask file in the FSX/P3D Texture folder. In the past without this fix if your system had a faulty bitmap file it was quite obvious, there was a thick cloud hovering above you wherever you flew.

Regards

Cheryl

Do you have to do the same with Active Sky Evo as well?

Many thanks.

Not sure since I haven't used it, but it is only necessary if you are suffering from the haze banding effect.

Regard

Cheryl

ActiveSky Evolution doesn't have it's own texture sets. It's just the data generator. Only thing you need to do if coming over from using ASE is to not start it up along with OPUS.