Sign in to follow this  
tamba765

Active Sky 2012 + FSUIPC

I just installed Active Sky 2012 in hopes of stopping the wild wind shifts at altitude in the PMDG 747. I used the FSX settings recommended in the manual, but the problem is still there.

The manual also has some settings to use if FSUIPC is installed, but they seem to contadict themselves. I don't have FSUIPC yet, but will get it if it will solve this problem. Do I disable weather, DWC, etc.,and if so, in which application? If any of you are using both applications and also fly a

PMDG aircraft, I'd really like to know what settings you use in each. Please try to be specific. I'm not really all that tech savy. I'm using FSX and have a new high end machine.

Thanks.

Pete Locascio

I don't have the 747 but I have the PMDG MD11. Active Sky 2012 "DWC mode" should take care of this for you without FSUIPC. You can find/get details in the official Active Sky forums on the HiFi site, or possibly in the dedicated Active Sky support forum here on AVSIM.

Clark Janes

pmdg_trijet.jpg

Actually I tried enabling wind smoothing in FSUIPC with DWC enabled in latest AS2012 and the weather went totally bonkers. My PMDG MD11 was all over the place. So you are quite right, AS2012 has really managed to control this issue.

23.png

Actually I tried enabling wind smoothing in FSUIPC with DWC enabled in latest AS2012 and the weather went totally bonkers. My PMDG MD11 was all over the place

PMDG aircraft are very VERY sensitive to wind and cloud turbulence and wind variance. Just suppress both in FSUIPC (check below the smoothing option). If you are not using smoothing then those are not relevant, though.

An alternative, rather than losing the turbulence/variance simulation in FSUIPC would be to edit the parameters, in the FSUIPC4.INI file, to reduce the effect. I'm fairly sure folks in PMDG actually came up with some numbers for that.

I've no idea why only PMDG aircraft are so sensitive. The simulation is pretty close to real-world behaviour as far as I could make it.

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

PMDG aircraft are very VERY sensitive to wind and cloud turbulence and wind variance. Just suppress both in FSUIPC (check below the smoothing option). If you are not using smoothing then those are not relevant, though.

An alternative, rather than losing the turbulence/variance simulation in FSUIPC would be to edit the parameters, in the FSUIPC4.INI file, to reduce the effect. I'm fairly sure folks in PMDG actually came up with some numbers for that.

I've no idea why only PMDG aircraft are so sensitive. The simulation is pretty close to real-world behaviour as far as I could make it.

Regards

Pete

If using DWC through AS2012 you have to disable all weather settings in FSUIPC, I find. If you try wind smoothing with DWC the winds get "conflicted", for want of a better word, and will rapidly go through around a 5 degree, 3 knot range which generally does make any PMDG aircraft go "bonkers". As soon as all weather settings are disabled in FSUIPC the issue never happens - it must be the wind-smoothing of the DWC setting in AS2012 conflicting with FSUIPC also trying to do the same, I don't know really.

If using DWC through AS2012 you have to disable all weather settings in FSUIPC, I find. If you try wind smoothing with DWC the winds get "conflicted", for want of a better word, and will rapidly go through around a 5 degree, 3 knot range which generally does make any PMDG aircraft go "bonkers".

The amount of change during turbulence is determined by the degree of turbulence set by the weather program, in the range 0 (none) to 5 (extreme). FSUIPC's simulation of turbulence is more reliastic than the default FSX simulation, and is made necessary with its wind smoothing because otherwise the smoothing method kills all such variations. The effects are reasonable and do not have any adverse affects except, oddly, with PMDG aircraft. The answer then is not as drastic as turning off everything, but as I said: simply either inhibiting the turbulence effects (for which the options are clearly shown), or just reducing the effects somewhat using the parameters provided.

I am not willing to sacrifice the good simulated effects, after many months of hard work to achieve them, because one rather sensitive add-on aircraft make is adversely affected. The facilities are there for adjustment or elimination if folks want to use them. That should be sufficient.

Incidentally, this subject has been done to death periodically over the last few years.

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Incidentally, this subject has been done to death periodically over the last few years.

You do realize this is a good thing, right? It means you're periodically having to reeducate new customers. :)

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

The amount of change during turbulence is determined by the degree of turbulence set by the weather program, in the range 0 (none) to 5 (extreme). FSUIPC's simulation of turbulence is more reliastic than the default FSX simulation, and is made necessary with its wind smoothing because otherwise the smoothing method kills all such variations. The effects are reasonable and do not have any adverse affects except, oddly, with PMDG aircraft. The answer then is not as drastic as turning off everything, but as I said: simply either inhibiting the turbulence effects (for which the options are clearly shown), or just reducing the effects somewhat using the parameters provided.

I am not willing to sacrifice the good simulated effects, after many months of hard work to achieve them, because one rather sensitive add-on aircraft make is adversely affected. The facilities are there for adjustment or elimination if folks want to use them. That should be sufficient.

Regards

Pete

I know, which is why I tried to make my point specifically in regards to DWC; it has its own wind-smoothing feature which does a good job of messing up the wind (especially during the weather updating) if you're also forcing smoothing via FSUIPC. I suppose my post was really for the benefit of mosteen.

I've just re-set it up again, only this time I'm reading the manual, or so far, about 40% of its 96 pages...

It seems they advise to disable all weather in FSUIPC, enable wind smoothing and leave everything else off...

Its TOTALLY worth taking the time to read the manual, there really is LOT of things it does, and well worth knowing about.

The more I read it, and fly about, the more I LOVE AS2012!!!

Just discovered last night I can make a flight plan in there too, and export it to FSX... (Probably wont as I have EFB for that because I have no idea which direction to approach an airport from yet) but its there..

Lowering the AI traffic seems to help some with that aircraft.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

For me, the DWC in AS2012 is all I need. I never had to think about anything else. I need an engine which I set and forget - and IF I want to do some advanced planing like on some longer flights I *can* do that. But the fact is, AS2012 can be used as fireup and minimize engine, and that is exactly what DWC does here. Never fiddled with FSUIPC either since DWC exists.

With all FSUPIC wx features unticked I guess?

Thanks,

Dirk.

A question on this, do you need to hit clear all weather is fsuipc every time you start the sim?

I have an issue where if I don't do that, it seems to prevent any weather engine from loading after a while.

How do you guys set weather settings off in fsuipc?

Can anyone provide a recommended screenshot of fsuipc weather preferences when using AS2012 pls. :-)

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

The settings are in the AS2012.pdf manual, there is a section called FSUIPC :smile:

Well, reference to the manual may only further the confusion. The part of the AS2012 manual regarding wind shifts and fsuipc and pmdg is the same for AS2012 as it was for ASE and prior versions. So I think what is being asked is running with DWC in Active Sky 2012 specifically, skipping even the workarounds mentioned in its own manual, sufficient to prevent S-turns and other problems in PMDG aircraft.

This question has recently been given new life in the discussion about Accufeel turbulence..keep in mind that the current Active Sky 2012 manual still recommends disabling turbulence in FSX itself. Whether this is *actually* necessary or not with the current Active Sky is the burning question....some say it is, some say it isn't, and as for myself, I'm not completely sure since I normally have FSX turbulence enabled, but the FSUIPC boxes for gust/variance/turb checked ON.